Author Topic: Euro 2020/21  (Read 23433 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Euro 2020/21
« on: 12 June, 2021, 08:50:48 pm »
Some year or other. I think it's last year's tournament being played now that no-one is being affected by a pandemic.

I'm relieved to say that Christian Eriksen seems to be recovering in hospital after collapsing on the pitch. Rather surprised that they resumed the game. It looked very bleak at one time.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Euro Whatever
« Reply #1 on: 13 June, 2021, 12:35:17 am »
Oh dear, aren’t Southend in it?

Never mind.
It is simpler than it looks.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 13 June, 2021, 07:07:42 am »

I'm relieved to say that Christian Eriksen seems to be recovering in hospital after collapsing on the pitch. Rather surprised that they resumed the game. It looked very bleak at one time.
Is that your medical opinion?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #3 on: 13 June, 2021, 07:44:52 am »
Speaking personally I found watching CPR being performed on live TV and the distress of the other players and his family really upsetting, but by switching off I missed the fact that when he was removed from the pitch he was conscious.

A

« Reply #4 on: 13 June, 2021, 08:13:51 am »
Rather surprised that they resumed the game.

Well, they did wait until they got the news that he was in hospital and awake. Not sure what else they could do. If they postponed the game the logistics of the whole tournament would have been screwed....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #5 on: 13 June, 2021, 08:58:43 am »
Rather surprised that they resumed the game.

Well, they did wait until they got the news that he was in hospital and awake. Not sure what else they could do. If they postponed the game the logistics of the whole tournament would have been screwed....

And, according to the BBC, at the request of players from both teams.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 13 June, 2021, 10:02:06 am »
I heard they used a defibrillator but reports seem to be saying CPR.

In other news, go Wales!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7 on: 13 June, 2021, 10:07:40 am »
A defib won't be any help if the heart has actually stopped. CPR is the way to go.

Was mildly disgusted to see all the profuse apologies being offered for continuing to show the images on TV.  People are far too sensitive these days. I'd have been fascinated.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: 13 June, 2021, 04:09:57 pm »
How did Wales get on?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 13 June, 2021, 04:28:50 pm »
Speaking personally I found watching CPR being performed on live TV and the distress of the other players and his family really upsetting, but by switching off I missed the fact that when he was removed from the pitch he was conscious.
A

You are not alone! My medical etc friends on Twitter were FURIOUS, and a young widow I know, whose husband had a sudden cardiac death, was very upset.

I was well-impressed by Danish team-mates forming a human shield, less so by the decision to continue the match in the evening. It would have been natural for the recovering Eriksen to tell his mates to play on and I understand those who wanted to play, just to get the match over and done.

I just think all play should have been suspended from the point of collapse and a no-score draw awarded. 

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10 on: 13 June, 2021, 04:31:05 pm »
A defib won't be any help if the heart has actually stopped. CPR is the way to go.

Was mildly disgusted to see all the profuse apologies being offered for continuing to show the images on TV.  People are far too sensitive these days. I'd have been fascinated.

Those whose loved ones have died in similar circumstances or have themselves had a cardiac arrest feel otherwise.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11 on: 13 June, 2021, 04:34:32 pm »

There is no effective cardiac output from a fibrillating heart, which needs CPR to maintain SOME circulation until a defib reboots the heart's electrics.

That's how it works.

« Reply #12 on: 13 June, 2021, 04:42:29 pm »

???

He was quickly identified as being in cardiac arrest (i.e. his heart had “actually stopped” in effect), had immediate CPR, was found to be in a shockable rhythm and had a successful single shock from the defib. A rare example of an out-of-hospital cardiac arrest turning out well. All involved should be congratulated.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #13 on: 13 June, 2021, 05:52:23 pm »
A heart that demonstrates NO electrical activity is unlikely to be restarted by any method. CPR and drugs may be tried to get some action but a 'flat line' on ECG has a bleak outlook.
The 'zigzag' of ventricular fibrillation is 'shockable' and has a better outlook IF CPR and defibrillation are carried out PROMPTLY.

Eriksen was fortunate in being surrounded by those who sprang into action PDQ.

Without them, he would be dead.

« Reply #14 on: 13 June, 2021, 06:15:21 pm »
I just think all play should have been suspended from the point of collapse and a no-score draw awarded.
Choice was to play on of play at 12:00 the next day - which would have been just as shit.

Without wanting to do too much thinking, could they not have postponed the match, there would have been a chance the math would have made no difference to the outcome for that group and if needed they could have played the second half once their other group matches were done.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #15 on: 13 June, 2021, 06:27:58 pm »
The last matches of each group are played at the same time, so there is less chance of gamesmanship and match rigging.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #16 on: 13 June, 2021, 06:33:06 pm »
Well, they are now.  Hands up who remembers the “Disgrace of Gijón” game in the 1982 World Cup, where West Germany and Austria dicked about for 80 minutes to ensure both teams qualified at the expense of Algeria?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #17 on: 13 June, 2021, 06:34:16 pm »
Yes, that was grim.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #18 on: 13 June, 2021, 06:35:00 pm »
Choice was to play on of play at 12:00 the next day - which would have been just as shit.

I'm aware of that. I can't see any way those teams could have faced each other fairly within the time constraints of the tournament, hence my suggestion of a default scoreless draw.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #19 on: 13 June, 2021, 06:50:49 pm »
Quote from: Bill Shankly
Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: Euro 2020/21
« Reply #20 on: 13 June, 2021, 08:20:07 pm »
I know I've said it before, but I'll repeat, football matches go on for far too long. 
Surely two twenty minute halves would be sufficient?
I really don't have the attention span.  Look, this Netherlands match is only 19 minutes old and I'm spodding on my phone already.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #21 on: 13 June, 2021, 08:48:37 pm »
Football is 'entertainment'.

I don't think fans would pay or travel to watch 20 minutes each way.
BIG CASH is tied up with all of this. I have no interest so it all passes me by.

45 minutes each way is traditional; it buys 'time out' for parents, students and teachers. I don't know if they'd have it any other way.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22 on: 13 June, 2021, 08:54:01 pm »
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #23 on: 13 June, 2021, 09:01:34 pm »
Who the ** commissioned the TV graphics?  Turquoise/purple/orange/green. It's like a 70's bad trip.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24 on: 13 June, 2021, 09:05:57 pm »
The drunken zombies of Silly Oak have been informing us (increasingly hoarse and slurred) that football's coming home since about 2:30 this afternoon.  It must have got lost, as it surely could have walked home by now...