Author Topic: Moody rocks for Deano  (Read 15333 times)

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
Moody rocks for Deano
« on: 15 June, 2021, 02:37:14 pm »
A thread. Photographs of moody looking craggy overhangs, cliffs, stone circles and out-croppings of igneous rock... for Deano.

Sadly I lack the photo skills to paste it in here...twitter link?
https://twitter.com/FatherHilarious/status/1404897909007687689?s=19

From today's Explorer Tile Hunting game (only chased off by two farmers FTW)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Moody rocks for Deano
« Reply #1 on: 15 June, 2021, 02:41:29 pm »
Good name for a band...

« Reply #2 on: 15 June, 2021, 05:28:37 pm »
This sort of thing?

I fear this might be the wrong sort of rock :)
Quiet Evening at Hope Gap by Dan Chalmers, on Flickr

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #3 on: 15 June, 2021, 05:38:49 pm »
I reckon they both work... got a photo to upload but may be beaten to it by the man himself.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4 on: 15 June, 2021, 05:41:07 pm »

P6230270 by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

Cliffs round the back of Noss, Shetland.

P6150364 by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

Somewhere just off an Orkney.  Lots more moody island cliffs, with optional seabirbs, at https://www.flickr.com/photos/mr_larrington/albums/72157695058985662/with/42885375092/

P6160054 by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

Stones of Stenness, Orkney.  No idea who the woman is ???

P6160051 by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

Ring of Brodgar, Orkney

P6170093 by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

A The Old Man of Hoy

P8300023 by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

Scale model of Stonehenge, Rolla MO
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #5 on: 15 June, 2021, 05:58:53 pm »
I really shouldn't be surprised how many moody rocks yacf has in the vaults

« Reply #6 on: 15 June, 2021, 06:18:50 pm »
Graeme's nicked my idea for a coffee table book, curse him.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #7 on: 15 June, 2021, 07:21:29 pm »
I really shouldn't be surprised how many moody rocks yacf has in the vaults

Plenty more moody rocks buried in in the depths of the Babbage-Engine, but it was dinner time :P

« Reply #8 on: 15 June, 2021, 08:32:32 pm »
Not very moody. More of a Scar.

« Reply #9 on: 15 June, 2021, 09:12:14 pm »

P6160054 by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

Stones of Stenness, Orkney.  No idea who the woman is ???

Is that some sort of Neolithic power station?  Two of the chimneys are belching out fumes, the carbon footprint from that place must be huge.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #10 on: 15 June, 2021, 09:30:42 pm »
Graeme's nicked my idea for a coffee table book, curse him.

Shirley there's a bigger audience for your coffee table book than yacf...

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #11 on: 16 June, 2021, 07:27:39 am »
Probably stones rather than rocks, but I'd say they qualify on moodiness.

If this photo looks familiar, it was previously posted on acf circa 2007

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #12 on: 16 June, 2021, 12:25:13 pm »

From 2013 when Wow and Kim showed me the sights of North Wales in summertime.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #13 on: 16 June, 2021, 01:06:21 pm »
Speaking as a geologist, and who lives not far from the glorious expanses of North Wales (on the one sunny day they get each year - so my youngest tells me - she lives up there in Snowdonia), there are no moodier rocks than those to be seen on a wet Sunday afternoon in November in Blaenau Ffestiniog. There are no photos - there ain't enough light bouncing back off the slate tips and the dark volcanics.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #14 on: 16 June, 2021, 04:59:54 pm »
Speaking as a geologist, and who lives not far from the glorious expanses of North Wales (on the one sunny day they get each year - so my youngest tells me - she lives up there in Snowdonia), there are no moodier rocks than those to be seen on a wet Sunday afternoon in November in Blaenau Ffestiniog. There are no photos - there ain't enough light bouncing back off the slate tips and the dark volcanics.

Those are Hotblack Desiato's rocks then?

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #15 on: 16 June, 2021, 07:34:04 pm »

2 by The Pingus, on Flickr

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #16 on: 17 June, 2021, 01:45:04 pm »

Nah, apologies.  You'll have to explain that one to me. H2G2?

« Reply #17 on: 17 June, 2021, 08:36:07 pm »

Is he not referring to a location not too far removed from a control on a well-known intergalactic audax?

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #18 on: 17 June, 2021, 08:59:29 pm »

Is he not referring to a location not too far removed from a control on a well-known intergalactic audax?

Sorry, yes, H2G2. It was your reference to slate absorbing all the light. Hotblack's spaceship was... quote:

`Every time you try to operate on of these weird black controls that are labelled in black on a black background, a little black light lights up black to let you know you've done it. What is this? Some kind of galactic hyperhearse?''

The walls of the swaying cabin were also black, the ceiling was black, the seats --- which were rudimentary since the only important trip this ship was designed for was supposed to be unmanned --- were black, the control panel was black, the instruments were black, the little screws that held them in place were black, the thin tufted nylon floor covering was black, and when they had lifted up a corner of it they had discovered that the foam underlay also was black.

There's an intergalactic audax?!?

« Reply #19 on: 17 June, 2021, 09:24:24 pm »
Time I posted a few. I will apologise for the fact that none of these were during a bike ride.

The Worm's Head, Rhosili from about 1983, negative copied with a very cheap slide scanner last year.

Same place, same time, same technique.

Lots more when I get round to copying them. My B&W have survived much better than the commercially processed C41 colour from the same period (and later)

« Reply #20 on: 17 June, 2021, 11:44:06 pm »
Good work, everyone.

These, by the the way, are the rocks that prompted the thought. During Proper Lockdown in 2020 I had a ride up Shacklesborough, which sits in splendid isolation above Baldersdale.

When I do publish Portraits of Moody Rocks™ - well, I might just have to dedicate a chapter to Shacklesborough.

« Reply #21 on: 18 June, 2021, 12:06:09 am »
From the moody Arbor Low, the Peak District's answer to Stonehenge, though this might be the most cheerful rock there
Arbor stone by Paul, on Flickr

And from Hoy, these might be stones, though the island has it's moods, mostly wet ones.
Rocky Hoy by Paul, on Flickr

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #22 on: 18 June, 2021, 01:21:11 am »
Can pale coloured rocks under a sunny sky be moody, asked Mr Larrington’s Imaginary FriendI she has many photos of rocks, but a lot of them are from western USAnia on sunny days.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #23 on: 18 June, 2021, 06:19:34 am »
Can pale coloured rocks under a sunny sky be moody, asked Mr Larrington’s Imaginary FriendI she has many photos of rocks, but a lot of them are from western USAnia on sunny days.

Whitby Goth Weekend sometimes happens on a sunny day, I think that qualifies as pale / sunny / moody. So I'm confident your *imaginary friend* has photos of rocks that were decidedly moody despite the climate. Unless, of course, any of them are wearing a straw hat and drinking Piña colada... then the moody look has been somewhat undermined.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24 on: 18 June, 2021, 01:07:51 pm »

If they're the sort of thing that Captain Kirk might engage in hand-to-hand-combat under, then absolutely.  USAnian version of a dalek-infested quarry, innit.