Author Topic: Shoes  (Read 2785 times)

Shoes
« on: 11 August, 2021, 09:44:00 pm »
Anything in particular I should consider that is specific for laidback bikes?
I'm after a pair of shoes that aren't too tight on the toes and SPD (MTB) compatible.  Cheap is good.  Dos not need to be waterproof as I won't ride my LB in the rain given a choice and I won't use these with my DF (which is not clipless).
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Re: Shoes
« Reply #1 on: 11 August, 2021, 10:24:51 pm »
I just use same spd shoes as I use on my road bike.  I have double sided shimano spd style. So I can clip in and out easily.   You might consider spd sandals though haven’t tried them myself.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 11 August, 2021, 10:56:58 pm »
The only special consideration I'd give to shoes for darkside purposes is not being too light a colour / shiny if you have boom-mounted lights, in order to minimise foot-flash.  In general, your feet stay drier because gravity isn't filling your shoes with leg run-off.  They also stay colder, because the higher position affects circulation.

I find my SPD sandals work well, as do my MTB shoes, road shoes and waterproof boots[1].

This is a bit of a YMMV thing, but I find SPD pedals are annoying, because the pedal side of the pedal/cleat interface wears with use and develops a click whenever you transition from pushing to pulling the pedal.  I don't usually find this a problem on uprights, presumably because gravity maintaind downward force, but on recumbents it annoys me into maintaining constant forward pressure that my legs would rather I didn't.  It doesn't appear to be a problem with the Look or (so far; I've only been using them for a few thousand miles) Time ATAC systems.

[1] A combination I rarely use, as I tend to be riding uprights in winter conditions, and because the winter tights I prefer to use on recumbents for waistband reasons have ankle zips that damage the boots.

« Reply #3 on: 11 August, 2021, 11:03:49 pm »
I use ShimaNO because my Time pedals are broken (missing dust cap means they no work) and my time cleats are massively worn whereas my ShimaNO cleats are doing okay.  If i did Moar miles I would consider other MTB based systems.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 11 August, 2021, 11:08:54 pm »
TBH, the only advantage I can see to the Time system is that it avoids this pedal wear problem (presumably because the cleats are a softer material, hence subject to more wear).  And it gives you oddles of float, if you like that sort of thing (I'm not keen, but it doesn't seem to be doing any harm).

SPD is much easier to engage quickly, and doesn't require the foot to be re-positioned between unclipping and re-clipping, which gives it a substantial advantage for actual MTB riding, but doesn't really matter on a 'bent.  It's also about half the price.

FWIW, road cleats are fine on a recumbent, until you're in an unstable one-foot-down scenario, in which case they're a liability.  I have a set because reasons, and I'm using them for racing because the shoes they're attached to are pretty good for racing, but I've decided that mountain bike cleats are the way to go for the real world.

« Reply #5 on: 11 August, 2021, 11:20:27 pm »
I think road pedals are a large expense for possibly marginal gains I shall never see.  Whereas being able to walk properly in shoes is pretty essential to me.
Again, if I did lots moar miles on the trike my views could change.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 11 August, 2021, 11:22:45 pm »
I think road pedals are a large expense for possibly marginal gains I shall never see.  Whereas being able to walk properly in shoes is pretty essential to me.

Quite.  I only own them because I was part of a team riding something with road pedals.

« Reply #7 on: 12 August, 2021, 09:05:48 am »
This is a bit of a YMMV thing, but I find SPD pedals are annoying, because the pedal side of the pedal/cleat interface wears with use and develops a click whenever you transition from pushing to pulling the pedal.  I don't usually find this a problem on uprights, presumably because gravity maintaind downward force, but on recumbents it annoys me

In my very limited experience of riding ‘bents (a year this week!), I’ve already noticed this - a couple of pairs of SPD pedals that I had laying around which looked fine and I had thought to use both have this click when used on a ‘bent, so I’ve had to buy new ones. 🙁

I’ve also noticed I’m way more sensitive to shoe fit when riding laid back. I’ve got several pairs of SPD shoes, including a pair of Shimano sandals and winter boots that are all fine when riding uprights. So far only one pair of Specialized BG sport shoes and the Shimano winter boots have been bearable on the ‘bent. Every other pair I’ve got, including the sandals, result in varying degrees of numbness or pain after about 20 miles. A pair of Specialized road shoes with Look delta pedals were also fine but I didn’t like the lack of grip from the road cleats when stopping.

« Reply #8 on: 12 August, 2021, 09:37:57 am »
Just remembered. Make sure whatever shoes you get, that they can be done up snug. I have some winter boots that don’t do up as tight round ankle as when new. I guess fresh Velcro would resolve. So can be floppy on the feet when riding.  This means I only put the winter boots on if proper wet and or cold.  The same inter boots on road bike are fine. Presumably  due to different orientation.

« Reply #9 on: 12 August, 2021, 10:45:48 pm »
I use my DF road pedals and shoes, and they are very comfy. Just have to tape over the sole vents in the winter!

« Reply #10 on: 13 August, 2021, 08:55:25 am »
TBH, the only advantage I can see to the Time system is that it avoids this pedal wear problem (presumably because the cleats are a softer material, hence subject to more wear).  And it gives you oddles of float, if you like that sort of thing (I'm not keen, but it doesn't seem to be doing any harm).

I've used ATACs on everything for the best part of 20 years. Float is good for me. The only big downside I've seen is that the soles of my favourite shoes (Specialized MTB shoes with a carbon sole) have worn where the bars on the pedals touch, and now the whole thing is a bit loose. To be fair, those favourite shoes are well over a decade old, have done many, many thousands of miles and the uppers are wearing out too. They don't make them anymore, or anything vaguely like them that doesn't have a fancy ratchet and cable system, so I need to start playing with other brands.

« Reply #11 on: 27 November, 2021, 10:05:06 am »
Hmmm, so grumble as it sounds like the looseness of my 16+ yo sods is prob down to the pedal and not the cleats.

So, for shoes, any thoughts on something I could combine with cold weather?  Something like a hiking shoe that would also be SPD and waterproof?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12 on: 27 November, 2021, 10:15:22 am »
Might be too late now but there are things designed to protect carbon shoes from pedal wear. I don’t know whether they would compensate for the lost sole thickness now.
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/crankbrothers-shoe-shields
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #13 on: 27 November, 2021, 02:35:04 pm »
I have Shimano winter boots and wear them with hiking socks in conditions like today