Author Topic: Bread machine bread is more like cake  (Read 2263 times)

Bread machine bread is more like cake
« on: 17 October, 2021, 02:22:17 pm »
We've made 3 loaves so far in our bread machine, using the recipes in the supplied book.

They've turned out dense and cake like, especially the third one using strong flour, but all were still edible.

Has anyone got tips on getting a result that's lighter and more like bread?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Bread machine bread is more like cake
« Reply #1 on: 17 October, 2021, 02:26:44 pm »
In my experience, if you just use wholemeal flour, this does result in dense loaves. Try a ratio of 3:1 wholemeal:strong white.

Also, I notice a marked difference when I finish an old tub of yeast powder and start a new one. It helps to put a little more yeast in when the tub is almost empty.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2 on: 17 October, 2021, 03:33:40 pm »
What is the recipe? That might help give some clues…

Also, what yeast are you using?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3 on: 17 October, 2021, 03:44:09 pm »
On my bread machine, the quick mode can be a bit dense. Best to give it time for the full cycle.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 17 October, 2021, 03:56:32 pm »
Qu’ils mangent de la brioche.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5 on: 17 October, 2021, 07:25:45 pm »
I'll post the recipes later but the third loave was because I used half the flour.

« Reply #6 on: 17 October, 2021, 07:45:35 pm »
I wouldn’t expect the “lightness” of a Chorley Wood process loaf to be replicated in a bread machine, if that’s what you’re after. Home made breads, and bread machine breads, are generally denser - like bread used to be. Longer proving times will help.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #7 on: 17 October, 2021, 08:00:37 pm »
In my experience, if you just use wholemeal flour, this does result in dense loaves. Try a ratio of 3:1 wholemeal:strong white.

Also, I notice a marked difference when I finish an old tub of yeast powder and start a new one. It helps to put a little more yeast in when the tub is almost empty.

Personally, I would reverse that ratio - majority white flour to avoid a dense "worthy loaf".

Also make sure you keep the salt separate from the yeast in the machine, especially if you have the loaf on timer and you are leaving it  in situ for some hours.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8 on: 18 October, 2021, 08:03:07 am »
MrsT abandoned our bread machine years ago: the crust was always like kevlar and the twirly doo-dah in the bottom always had to be dug out of the finished loaf.  Nowadays she does it all by hand.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #9 on: 18 October, 2021, 06:56:58 pm »
My wife uses the bread maker to mix the dough and for proving then she bakes it in the oven. The finished results taste good to me.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #10 on: 08 February, 2022, 10:55:58 am »
Years ago two mates got bread machines, different brands. One machine made excellent savoury bread,  the other made excellent tealoaves and fruit based breads. They didn't make good examples of the wrong type of bread. They simply couldn't get it right. They then decided to bake extra and swap breads. Both had good bread of both types.

Perhaps you just need a second bread maker for the other bread type?!?

« Reply #11 on: 08 February, 2022, 10:34:02 pm »
We've made 3 loaves so far in our bread machine, using the recipes in the supplied book.

They've turned out dense and cake like, especially the third one using strong flour, but all were still edible.

Has anyone got tips on getting a result that's lighter and more like bread?

This implies the first two were not made with strong flour. You can't make acceptable bread with baking flour, it tastes like biscuits or cake and it won't rise properly.

You can't use normal granulated dried yeast in a bread machine, you need the fine "quick action" yeast. Make sure it's in date and less than a couple of months since opening.

Don't skimp on the salt. 10 ml of salt is normal for a large loaf. Don't be scared, it's not like you're going to eat the whole loaf at one sitting (and if you are, you have more problems than sodium intake).

Measure as accurately as you can. If you have digital scales, weigh the liquids instead of using a jug.

Try a "bread mix" in your machine, if that doesn't work then it's the machine that's shit, not your ingredients/technique.

Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #12 on: 08 February, 2022, 10:41:57 pm »
I've made my own bread for about 40 years: i use the bread maker only to mix the flour and stuff, and before it has a chance to do the second rise i put the mix into a bread tin and let it rise for an hour in the oven pre warmed to be at 50 °c, and for a 500 gram loaf give it 38 minutes at 175°c. If you use the bread maker to actually bake the mixture the non stick will come off the bucket then you'll need a knife to get the loaf out and that'll in turn remove even more of the non stick. Hence i use the machine only to mix. You then have a choice of buns, one big loaf or two small loaves.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #13 on: 09 February, 2022, 12:25:44 pm »
Of all the bread machines I've had, the non-stick coating has lasted far better than the motor, I've never had to use any implement to get the loaf out.

But yes, the knead-only option is good for pizza, daktyla, buns, etc.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.