Author Topic: Achilles issue  (Read 934 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Achilles issue
« on: 10 January, 2022, 06:57:18 pm »
AS I'm now on the plan for the Cambridge half in March, I've started including weekend long runs, this weekend was 12km (1:05:xx).  I've had the same issue this time as pervioulsy in that my right lower achilles and heel are very sore the next morning.  No issues on the day or post run, but getting out of bed it was very sore this morning.  Stretching it out with heel drops and standing stretches has released it to the extent that I'm walking normally and could manage a 60km ride this afternoon.  As I sit here nowI can feel tightness under the heel and flexion of the foot gives pain in the achilles and soem foot tightness.

I'm wondering whether this is simply load-reaction tendonitis (I've had achilles issues in the past) or whether the overnight onset is suggesting a form of PF?

For completeness, no issues following rides of up to 110km, no issues following the shorter runs (tempo, intervals etc up to 8km)

Cheers
Dave
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Re: Achilles issue
« Reply #1 on: 11 January, 2022, 09:44:57 am »
IANA doctor...
it normally takes 36-48 hours for me to feel the full effects of longer runs.  It sounds like you're doing the right thing with heel drops/calf raises.  I'd continue with these but as a pre-hab exercise to strengthen the area rather than just as a post exercise stretch-out.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: Achilles issue
« Reply #2 on: 14 January, 2022, 11:07:51 am »
It took until Weds/Thurs to settle, yesterday was a tempo run at planned HM pace and it feels fine this morning so seems very much a duration rather than intensity issue.

I think the ongoing stretching is very much a good thing to do as I run very much with a mid-forefoot stride with low heel drop minimalist shoes, which does put more strain on the calves.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens