Author Topic: Brompton snatched in Hyde Park 10 March  (Read 5230 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Brompton snatched in Hyde Park 10 March
« on: 12 March, 2022, 03:36:54 am »
Brompton stolen from rider by thief who was riding his own bike but attacked Brompton owner and rode off on his own bike clutching Brompton.
Park Police are aware.
Careful out there!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Brompton snatched in Hyde Park 10 March
« Reply #1 on: 12 March, 2022, 07:28:16 am »
Wow, that's got to be a big guy  :o
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2 on: 12 March, 2022, 07:47:13 am »
Brompton stolen from rider by thief who was riding his own bike but attacked Brompton owner and rode off on his own bike clutching Brompton.
Park Police are aware.
Careful out there!
Did the thief take the time to fold the bike before riding off?

« Reply #3 on: 12 March, 2022, 08:24:30 am »
Is this the one belonging to our roller skating friend?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 12 March, 2022, 01:50:43 pm »
Yes

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 24 April, 2022, 08:50:06 pm »
Our roller-skating friend's stolen Brompton was SKY BLUE.

« Reply #7 on: 25 April, 2022, 11:38:39 am »
A horrifically violent mugging.

I feel that the request for special investigation into brompton thefts is misguided though. This is just the latest target type. Would have been iPods or designer handbags a few years back.

Sounds like the police are treating it as seriously as it deserves. It is ABH at the very least.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #8 on: 25 April, 2022, 03:36:26 pm »

Sounds like the police are treating it as seriously as it deserves. It is ABH at the very least.

Sounds to me as if it was a struggle to raise any level of interest from the police at all. It is hard to know what they can do though - completely unidentifiable and untraceable attackers and disinterested bystanders. Hence my comment about it being a depressing read.

That could very easily have ended with serious head injuries and lifelong impairment, or worse, for the cyclist.

« Reply #9 on: 26 April, 2022, 08:14:25 am »

Sounds to me as if it was a struggle to raise any level of interest from the police at all. It is hard to know what they can do though - completely unidentifiable and untraceable attackers and disinterested bystanders. Hence my comment about it being a depressing read.

That could very easily have ended with serious head injuries and lifelong impairment, or worse, for the cyclist.

Taped off the scene. Interviewed witnesses. Checked for CCTV coverage. Took clothing for DNA analysis.

That is a fair bit of 'interest'.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #10 on: 27 April, 2022, 11:10:24 am »
Over on LFGSS someone has mentioned that his wife was the victim of an attempted mugging for her Brompton in East Dulwich last night.
Her screams for help convinced the mugger that his wasn't the best of ideas and he fled empty-handed.
She was shaken but unhurt.

« Reply #11 on: 27 April, 2022, 03:43:08 pm »
 >:( I'm glad she was OK. I suspect if my partner sees any of these reports it will put paid to any plans to ride to work on the Brompton I've recently acquired.

On a largely irrelevant note, I was re-reading the above account I linked to.

Mayor of London to immediately OUTLAW the sale and use of electric dirt e-bikes. These are used to evade capture as they can travel at 60mph and can ride pavements and grass areas. Extremely dangerous and no insurance, registration, or license is required.

I don't think that's correct re the registration etc. They are road legal and can be ridden once you've done a CBT.