Author Topic: Mac snappers. How to upload multiple photo image folders and hierarchy to iCloud  (Read 644 times)

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
I've just upped my iCloud subscription as I want to store all my photos in the cloud as well as on the iMac and backup drives etc.

Currently they are all in a folder named 'PICTURES' in my Home folder. 'PICTURES' contains 320 further folders and some 16,000 images = 145GB.

I can't find a way of uploading image folders to iCloud whilst maintaining the folder hierarchy. Been searching resources for a few days now without any meaningful outcome. 

It seems the only way to get images into iCloud is via the Photos app, which just wants to strip the contents out of the folders.
(Not true as also dragging folders to the iCloud Drive folder moves them)

Desktop is an iMac running the latest OS 12.3.

(tried doing this via BT Cloud also as Broadband with them includes an 1TB cloud service. But it's real pants and again won't respect hierarchies and will only deal in individual unsorted images, plus it's buggy and clumsy as hell with the Mac)

What am I missing do you think? Apart from the appropriate nous :-[

EDIT TO ADD Not wanting to remove images contained in folders from my iMac - I want them to be both in iCloud and on the iMac in exactly the same hierarchy.

FURTHER EDIT If I go into my 'PICTURES' folder on the iMac and make aliases of the folders within, then drag the originals to the iCloud Drive folder after creating a new 'PICTURES' folder therein, that seems to work. All images within folders appear to be available and synced between an iPad and iPhone as well as visible on the iCloud browser. Then just need to remove the 'alias' labels on what remains in the iMac? EDIT AGAIN - or duplicate the folders, so that the originals stay on the iMac too.

Mmmmm ::-) All seems very clunky - but the goal is achievable :-\ There's got to be a better way?