Author Topic: sncf train milan to paris no bikes allowed it seems ?  (Read 1074 times)

keeks

• shooting from the hip ... because I am
sncf train milan to paris no bikes allowed it seems ?
« on: 27 April, 2022, 09:40:46 am »
Hello
looking at trying to avoid returning by air. There is a direct train SNCF  from Milan to Paris but everytime I try and book (September) it says no trains available if I include a bike.
I am going to take a bike bag with me ( double up as a ground sheet ) . Given all the info about if your bike is bagged no issues etc I find it hard to understand that I can't book a bike or as it seems may not be allowed to take on on board.
Anyone have any experience of this. I wish I could speak Italian as I'd like to ring the Milan Ticket office direct.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: sncf train milan to paris no bikes allowed it seems ?
« Reply #1 on: 27 April, 2022, 10:00:13 am »
Check the bike by train page on set 61
He says Semi dismantled and bagged for paris-turin/Milan tgvs as carry on luggage (so not a bike space but a big bag)

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #2 on: 27 April, 2022, 10:51:13 am »
It may also be possible to book via Deutsche Bahn, I think they cover all countries and (certainly pre pandemic) had knowledgeable English speaking staff to talk to, I think they were based in SW London However I have no idea whether this is still the case!

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #3 on: 27 April, 2022, 11:23:20 am »
Further to previous post now I've got forum open on pc
https://www.seat61.com/bike-by-train.htm

Taking bikes from the UK to Italy...
Eurostar to Paris & TGV from Paris to Turin & Milan:  You can take your bike on Eurostar from London to Paris un-dismantled for £55 as explained here, cycle across Paris from the Gare du Nord to the Gare de Lyon, then remove handlebars, wheels and pedals and bag up your bike.  Bikes can then be taken on the three daily Paris-Turin-Milan TGVs free of charge as carry-on luggage as long as they are semi-dismantled and placed in a zip-up bike bag not exceeding 120cm x 90cm, as explained here.  You'll find details of times and prices for the London-Paris-Milan journey by Eurostar & TGV on the London to Italy page, along with how to buy tickets online.  You bike doesn't need a ticket or reservation on the TGV as it's in a bike bag as normal luggage, just buy tickets for yourself as shown on the London to Italy page then book your bike on the Eurostar by calling the Eurostar baggage line as explained above.

Bikes on trains within Italy:  Bikes can travel on any train if they are semi-dismantled and placed in zip-up bike bags, or they can travel in the luggage van on most local & regional trains for a €3.50 'bici in segito' bicycle pass (valid for 24 hours after stamping at the platform entrance).  They can also travel in the bike spaces on a few InterCity & EuroCity trains for a bicycle supplement of €5, but not on high-speed Frecciarossa, Frecciargento or Frecciabianca trains.  The local, regional, InterCity & EuroCity trains on which bikes can be taken are indicated with a bike symbol in the timetables (use www.trenitalia.com, make a journey enquiry, then select a train and click 'details by selection').  Bear in mind that it can take some ingenuity to get from (say) Milan to Rome by local or regional trains, often involving breaking the journey into short sections.

HS trains taking over long distance has been a bit of a disaster for bicycle transport