Author Topic: Wahoo Bolt v2 - copying routes by USB + TBT issue  (Read 1924 times)

Wahoo Bolt v2 - copying routes by USB + TBT issue
« on: 04 May, 2022, 10:18:43 pm »
Are there quality issues with the Bolt v2?

My first Bolt v2 would not give turn-by-turn direction cues for any gpx routes over about 120km. Wahoo Support couldn't identify the issue so it was replaced under warranty.
However, the new Bolt I received has exactly the same issue.

To add to this, the new bolt won't recognise gpx routes that I manually copy onto it using a USB cable. But this worked fine on my first Bolt. So this forces me to use ridewithgps with the Wahoo app, which isn't ideal for my route making workflow.

I might just give up and send this second one back for a refund and buy a Garmin instead.

Re: Wahoo Bolt v2 - copying routes by USB + TBT issue
« Reply #1 on: 04 May, 2022, 10:27:14 pm »
Only had that when using tcx. files.

Would advise linking rwgps with wahoo app, and using rwgps to plan routes then sync them straight to unit using WiFi.

No need for cables in this day and age

« Reply #2 on: 04 May, 2022, 10:46:20 pm »
Would advise linking rwgps with wahoo app, and using rwgps to plan routes then sync them straight to unit using WiFi.

No need for cables in this day and age

Indeed.  Never used cable transfer with a Bolt - V1 or V2.

Even if you haven't planned the route in RWGPS you could always import your file and then it can be uploaded via wifi.  Can all be done with free version of RWGPS.
The sound of one pannier flapping

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #3 on: 04 May, 2022, 10:54:21 pm »
Can you get a Wahoo Bolt to recognise a cable? Never managed it but I'm not a particularly pc literate.

Always transferred from RWGP via wifi.

« Reply #4 on: 04 May, 2022, 11:02:05 pm »
USB-C transfer is supported on the Bolt v2 - https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000127910
Or at least it was on the first Bolt I sent back. I just connected the cable to my laptop and copied the gpx into the 'Routes' folder on the Bolt. Done. None of this RWGPS/App/Bluetooth/WIFI nonsense

« Reply #5 on: 04 May, 2022, 11:07:28 pm »
Are you able to selectively choose which of your RWGPS routes are transferred to the Bolt via the Wahoo app?

Say you have lots of routes in RWGPS, many of them work in progress which you wouldn't want to clutter your GPS device. How can you do this on the free version of RWGPS?

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #6 on: 04 May, 2022, 11:08:59 pm »
Are you able to selectively choose which of your RWGPS routes are transferred to the Bolt via the Wahoo app?

Say you have lots of routes in RWGPS, many of them work in progress which you wouldn't want to clutter your GPS device. How can you do this on the free version of RWGPS?

It transfers all routes from RWGPS to Wahoo except those that you've archived.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #7 on: 04 May, 2022, 11:16:35 pm »
USB-C transfer is supported on the Bolt v2 - https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000127910
Or at least it was on the first Bolt I sent back. I just connected the cable to my laptop and copied the gpx into the 'Routes' folder on the Bolt. Done. None of this RWGPS/App/Bluetooth/WIFI nonsense

No mine doesn't automatically show when connected. I've now found it in "This PC", "Devices"

« Reply #8 on: 04 May, 2022, 11:30:05 pm »
Glad you found it. I use a Linux laptop. The Bolt pops up automatically in my file explorer.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: 04 May, 2022, 11:36:33 pm »

On the original bolt only time I connected it to the laptop was to talk low level MTP to recover tracks after a spectacular software crash.

You don't need to connect to rwgps to add a route with the android phone app. Find the GPX on your phone, open it should get a "what app shall we use?" Box. Choose elemnt, it loads into the device.

Very simple. Easy work flow. If you have a smart phone that is.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #10 on: 04 May, 2022, 11:41:28 pm »
Thanks. I shall give that a try