Author Topic: 16 inch tyres Conti Vs Schwalbe  (Read 4216 times)

Notfromrugby

16 inch tyres Conti Vs Schwalbe
« on: 03 June, 2022, 03:04:48 pm »
I am in the market for a Brompton tyre replacement. I was about to press the button for a pair of the same "Marathon Racer", but I have noticed now Continental have come out with this Contact Urban, which the folks at SJS seem to be keen on.

Basically I'd like something a bit quicker than the Racer, without going full on for a pair of puncture-prone Kojak... are these Conti the sweet spot?

Re: 16 inch tyres Conti Vs Schwalbe
« Reply #1 on: 03 June, 2022, 03:17:48 pm »
Contact Urban do look very good in the test results. I've not tried them (I use Marathon Plus on the Brompton) but if the choice was between those and Marathon Racer, I'd probably go for the Urban.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Notfromrugby

« Reply #2 on: 03 June, 2022, 03:26:38 pm »
Thanks... there also appear to be a folding version (tan brown wall) and a rigid version... strangely seem to weigh the same... the rigid can be found for a lot less (£ 20.99 at Bikeinn), so any point in going for the premium option, which is £ 33 at SJS?

« Reply #3 on: 03 June, 2022, 03:50:54 pm »
I have Contact Urban 32mm in 406 on front wheel of my recumbent.  Had a couple of punctures from glass but that’s over quite a mileage.  I have some Contact Urbans to fit to my Brompton when I get round to it.  Quite tight on rim but nothing a tyre lever won’t sort out to get them off. For fitting I’ve been able to do it by hands only. They roll well enough.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4 on: 03 June, 2022, 04:02:03 pm »
I have Contact Urban on my Brompton, they've been fab and held up well over all sorts of surfaces.
Regards,

Joergen

Notfromrugby

« Reply #5 on: 04 June, 2022, 12:26:38 pm »
As I was fiddling with the Brompton, I came across this front wheel spoke lacing, which I think is sweet… way too many spokes on a Brompton… so I removed half the spokes and did the exact same. A 10 minute job with the extra benefit that now I can finally fit the track pump head without having to battle. I actually did it better, as my valve hole is centred

« Reply #6 on: 04 June, 2022, 02:34:04 pm »
As I was fiddling with the Brompton, I came across this front wheel spoke lacing, which I think is sweet… way too many spokes on a Brompton… so I removed half the spokes and did the exact same. A 10 minute job with the extra benefit that now I can finally fit the track pump head without having to battle. I actually did it better, as my valve hole is centred

How resilient is that to pot holes?

Notfromrugby

« Reply #7 on: 04 June, 2022, 04:27:24 pm »
Probably half as resilient as the 28 holes version, but it's not a problem I encounter on my commute. Putting air into the tyre seems to be a much bigger problem, and that even using the special head thingy that screws on... just a very bad design, made worse by the radial spoke pattern, the rear is not so bad. There was no need whatsoever for 28 spokes on a 16 inch front wheel, unless one plans to carry another person on the handlebar.

Notfromrugby

« Reply #8 on: 19 August, 2022, 03:42:58 pm »
In the end I got a pair of Kojak for a very good price, at £ 15 each... and I am still running the front with half the spokes... no issues thus far