Author Topic: Glasses mount camera  (Read 898 times)

sprogs

• from your big sister, Steve.
Glasses mount camera
« on: 04 June, 2022, 08:09:48 pm »
I'm trying to find a miniature camera that will mount on my glasses when I'm cycling. I've been on the wrong end of road rage twice this last two weeks and it's getting scary. I don't mind if it's one that plugs into my phone or one that's self contained. it just has to mount to my glasses so it sees what I'm looking at.
I got one a few months ago from China but the instructions were so impenetrable that I gave up. I can make my own mount if the camera is small enough.
Liz.

Re: Glasses mount camera
« Reply #1 on: 04 June, 2022, 09:01:22 pm »
I think you will struggle to have one that mounts on your glasses.  I wear magnifying loupes for 8-12 hours when operating and have looked for wearable cameras for a long time.  If they are adjustable they slip and point anywhere but where you are looking.  If they are solidly fixed they slide down your nose even with a strap.  if you are not used to wearing them the pressure on your nose is very uncomfortable.
Battery life is relatively poor and you need a wire going down your shirt into your pocket with battery pack and data recorder.

I would recommend rather a chilli or go pro mounted on your helmet which will be more comfortable and easier to wear.

« Reply #2 on: 04 June, 2022, 10:02:31 pm »
How about something like and Insta360 attached to your clothing?  They are very small and easily attached to clothing using a magnetic mounting system I believe. 

I like the concept but appreciate that they might not do what you need.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #3 on: 05 June, 2022, 09:12:32 pm »
Is this singled out for Phototalk, rather than where it was posted?
I think the Knowledge, along with all the other "Helmet camera" and "Mirrors for Safety" would seem the reasonable board for it. It's also more likely to be seen by people more interested in the "Cycling" community, than in a Minority board.
Just sayin' like.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #4 on: 07 June, 2022, 06:42:30 am »
I keep seeing adverts for Ray Ban sunglasses, with a very discreet camera built into the frame, so it is possible. Maybe buy these and have optical lenses fitted?

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #5 on: 07 June, 2022, 07:30:52 am »
I keep seeing adverts for Ray Ban sunglasses, with a very discreet camera built into the frame, so it is possible. Maybe buy these and have optical lenses fitted?

From the reviews I've seen , they have poor video quality (what you would have expected from a smartphone a few years ago) and awful battery life. Not really surprising as you'd have to make massive compromises to use such tiny cameras and tiny batteries, which applies to any camera small enough to be mounted on glasses. Plus they're expensive and there's some sort of Facebook tie-in.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur