Author Topic: BB & Crankset Q  (Read 731 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
BB & Crankset Q
« on: 26 June, 2022, 01:53:55 pm »
BB bearinsg failed big time on the NDS, crankset also needs replacing.

This bike will be TT duties only from now on, so cheapness is good.  With that in mind, I assume I don't need another Hollowtech BB set up, I can find an appropriate square taper BB and cranks and fit those?  It's just a case of getting the right spindle length and threads?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: BB & Crankset Q
« Reply #1 on: 28 June, 2022, 04:42:14 pm »
Yes.  Is it a derailleur at the back?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2 on: 28 June, 2022, 05:05:35 pm »
yes, derailleur.

My thoughts have shifted that I'll try and clean up the HT crankset spindle with a bit of wet and dry paper, and buy a new BB.  I think I can live with eating a BB every now and then whilst on the turbo, vs buying an entire new chainset.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #3 on: 28 June, 2022, 05:33:45 pm »
I think the principal cause of death of HT-2 NDS bearings is exposure to the elements in it's exposed location.
When used indoors, I'd expect a longer service life.

« Reply #4 on: 29 June, 2022, 05:49:02 am »
I think the principal cause of death of HT-2 NDS bearings is exposure to the elements in it's exposed location.
''sealed' frames just compound the problem. When air inside contracts where is it going to be replaced from? ..yes through the bearing seals together with any skog and wet... A breather hole fixes this. I have steel frames with one 'built into the BB shell, another couple with the undershell cable guide fixing through drilled and I suppose the top of the seatpost could work.