Author Topic: ACME PBP Pubinar - All Welcome  (Read 6536 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
ACME PBP Pubinar - All Welcome
« on: 28 June, 2022, 08:21:57 pm »
Advance notice of our traditional PBP Pubinar at The Compasses, Littley Green this autumn. I'll try and get a date organised soon.

As usual, aimed mainly at first-timers, but depending on take-up we may well be able to fit everyone in.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
Re: ACME PBP Pubinar - All Welcome
« Reply #1 on: 29 June, 2022, 07:59:08 am »
Pencilled in for Saturday 22nd October. Meet 18:00 - 19:00 or thereabouts for food and drink, and we'll aim to start at 20:00. With any luck the new garden room will be ready by then, otherwise in the traditional Green Room. Camping & B&B at the pub of course too.

Meanwhile, continue getting the miles in and don't forget 'The Flatish ACME Grand' 1000km pre-qualifier in September.

phil dubya

• It's a fast bike, but the engine's knackered.
« Reply #2 on: 29 June, 2022, 11:20:13 pm »
Count me in. 

I did PBP '19 and couldn't attend the Pubinar then.  I was over time in 2019, in a combination of bad on ride planning and injuries prior to PBP.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 30 June, 2022, 07:16:18 pm »
I'll get some more publicity out when the Fenland Friends brevets are back and ready to be mailed out - 600km pre-qualifiers are the most likely target market. Meanwhile if folks could spread the word among the PBP 2023 hopefuls ...

dod

« Reply #4 on: 30 June, 2022, 08:36:48 pm »
I'm definitely up for this  :)

« Reply #5 on: 04 July, 2022, 10:13:45 pm »
Excellent! It's in my diary - thank you!

« Reply #6 on: 06 July, 2022, 11:39:51 am »
Gutted I won't be able to make this.

I'm sure there will be plenty of other opportunities to be brought up to speed on what I need to know.

Owen
Old Enough to know better, young enough not to care.
Facebook, the toilet wall of the modern generation

« Reply #7 on: 06 July, 2022, 02:40:32 pm »
The admin side can be summed as roughly

The earliest date you can enter PBP 23 will be determined by your longest successful BRM / LRM event this audax year.
Entries open from roughly February 23 if you have a successful 1000km or longer event this year. Then it opens to 600, 400, 300, 200 roughly every couple of weeks. Then after a gap, it opens to those with no BRM event this year.
When entering you’ll  need the brevet number from your longest BRM event, this is on the ACP sticker in your returned brevet card and your online results.
You pay at time of entry and this gives you a login on the PBP site.
Once logged into the PBP site you can choose a start time. These are allocated on a first come first served basis. Hence why having a longer BRM event this year is useful to get the start time you want.
You’ll need to choose between 80, 84, or 90 hour time limits. 
You can keep changing your mind on start times and limits for quite a while.
You still need to do a full qualifying SR series (200,300,400,600 BRM events) next year.
The UK window for qualifying brevet distances will be published by audax UK sometime in the autumn.
Not all UK events are BRM, check this when entering, it’s shown against the event.
If successful with all your BRM events (for an SR) next year you will have four brevet cards with four brevet numbers on the stickers in them.  Put these numbers into your entry when logged into the PBP website and your entry is confirmed. You are going to PBP.

You can’t get a refund if you fail to qualify (through a BRM SR) next year.

felstedrider

« Reply #8 on: 06 July, 2022, 03:02:45 pm »

I'm sure there will be plenty of other opportunities to be brought up to speed on what I need to know.

Owen

Feel free to pop round for coffee.

« Reply #9 on: 10 July, 2022, 07:22:31 am »
There were some absolutely amazing notes published after the 2018 versions, only 4 years ago! If I had discovered them earlier I just might have got off my back side and qualified / entered too, maybe this time, spirit willing as they say but flesh (very) weak, only 4 months left to do a good "longest" BRM?

https://www.camaudax.uk/pbp/2019/cb/pubinar-20190618/ , link at the bottom of that to the notes from the seconded pubinar, perhaps netflick or similar might stream it this time? I loved the PBP routes done too, I have ridden the whole 1200 on my "smart" trainer twice (but a month for each during "lockdowns"), I think that is more madness than actually doing it for real!

ACP has not revealed too much to-date, some French regional press articles earlier this year talking about "some" changes to the route but controls being the same, 8000 places available, 5500 for non-French, going to make the bulge very fat?

I have just got to do it this time, where is that switch. Good luck all.

« Reply #10 on: 10 July, 2022, 08:40:05 am »
… only 4 months left to do a good "longest" BRM?

The Flattish ACME Grand ticks that box, and is nice and local (well, the start is!)

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #11 on: 17 July, 2022, 08:41:37 pm »

Owen

Thanks. I will take you up on that nearer the time. I'm sure most things will be discussed at MEMWNS, when out riding or even when in Holland.
I'm happy I know how to qualify by doing my BRM Sr next year and I have a BRM 600 from this year to get earlier entry, its the rest of the logistics that I haven't a clue about.
Where to stay before and after (and maybe during), Bag drops, how do people get there and back ?
Like I say nothing I need to know right now.
The only thing I could do with knowing sooner rather than later is when do I need to be there for, as at the moment I only have the 21st to the 26th of August 23 booked off.

Also I did try to persuade by better half we could just go on holiday a day later so I could go to the meeting... This did not go down well  ::-)

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: 18 July, 2022, 06:50:13 am »
Owen - on the Wednesday evenings there will be a point in time, in the autumn/winter, when some of us will talk of nothing but PBP. We'll be sent to a separate table.  ;D

« Reply #13 on: 18 July, 2022, 07:01:34 am »
Owen, registration is the day before the start at Rambouillet (think it’ll be there again next year), Thus Sat 19th August 2023. Whether you need to take more days off depends on how you intend to get to the start. A few of us ride there and back, but that’s not compulsory. Train or ferry and drive would no doubt enable you not to need to take any more holiday.

felstedrider

« Reply #14 on: 18 July, 2022, 08:35:13 am »

Owen

Thanks. I will take you up on that nearer the time. I'm sure most things will be discussed at MEMWNS, when out riding or even when in Holland.
I'm happy I know how to qualify by doing my BRM Sr next year and I have a BRM 600 from this year to get earlier entry, its the rest of the logistics that I haven't a clue about.
Where to stay before and after (and maybe during), Bag drops, how do people get there and back ?
Like I say nothing I need to know right now.
The only thing I could do with knowing sooner rather than later is when do I need to be there for, as at the moment I only have the 21st to the 26th of August 23 booked off.

Also I did try to persuade by better half we could just go on holiday a day later so I could go to the meeting... This did not go down well  ::-)

Last time round I drove to Calais Friday evening and caught the boat, staying there overnight.   I drove to Paris Saturday morning and then rode to bike check to register which goes on all Saturday afternoon.   I finished Wednesday, spent Thursday chatting and then left first thing Friday morning and was home late afternoon.

This schedule is a little tight and doesn't give you much slippage.   I'm also not sure how easy crossing borders will be now.

My thoughts now are that I would take Friday PM off to give some padding to get over to France and make for a more relaxing Saturday.   I have a few thing bubbling around that might lead me to having a bit more time on my hands next Summer.   This being the case, I might ride there and back.

« Reply #15 on: 19 July, 2022, 10:18:58 am »
Thanks all.

I think I'll book Friday the 18th of August off as well as that should at least mean I can give my self options on how I get there nearer the time.

Plenty to mull over.

Owen

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #16 on: 26 September, 2022, 07:20:27 am »
The admin side can be summed as roughly

The earliest date you can enter PBP 23 will be determined by your longest successful BRM / LRM event this audax year.
Entries open from roughly February 23 if you have a successful 1000km or longer event this year. Then it opens to 600, 400, 300, 200 roughly every couple of weeks. Then after a gap, it opens to those with no BRM event this year.
When entering you’ll  need the brevet number from your longest BRM event, this is on the ACP sticker in your returned brevet card and your online results.
You pay at time of entry and this gives you a login on the PBP site.
Once logged into the PBP site you can choose a start time. These are allocated on a first come first served basis. Hence why having a longer BRM event this year is useful to get the start time you want.
You’ll need to choose between 80, 84, or 90 hour time limits. 
You can keep changing your mind on start times and limits for quite a while.
You still need to do a full qualifying SR series (200,300,400,600 BRM events) next year.
The UK window for qualifying brevet distances will be published by audax UK sometime in the autumn.
Not all UK events are BRM, check this when entering, it’s shown against the event.
If successful with all your BRM events (for an SR) next year you will have four brevet cards with four brevet numbers on the stickers in them.  Put these numbers into your entry when logged into the PBP website and your entry is confirmed. You are going to PBP.

You can’t get a refund if you fail to qualify (through a BRM SR) next year.

Based on last time do not give up if you do not manage to pre register, last time many people failed to complete their SR qualifying series and dropped out, those who had given up on PBP were not able to take up the places because the qualifying windows had closed and they didn't have the required SR series.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: 26 September, 2022, 08:54:12 am »
Based on last time do not give up if you do not manage to pre register, last time many people failed to complete their SR qualifying series and dropped out, those who had given up on PBP were not able to take up the places because the qualifying windows had closed and they didn't have the required SR series.

:thumbsup: Indeed - in 2019, unclaimed PBP places were going begging and snapped up at the arrivée of Fenland Friends 600km -- the final day to qualify!

« Reply #18 on: 19 October, 2022, 02:37:23 pm »
A quick plug for this event :thumbsup:

2019 was my first PBP and Tom's last PBP Pubinar proved invaluable.  Everything he mentioned happened ;D

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

dod

« Reply #19 on: 19 October, 2022, 11:42:20 pm »
If anyone from the Huntingdon or Cambridge area is looking for a lift to the pubinar, feel free to drop me a PM as I'll be driving from Chatteris and can pick up along the route.

« Reply #20 on: 20 October, 2022, 03:21:09 am »
10 months out (today) there seems a big lack of hard info out of ACP so far, basics as revealed late last / early this year seem as per 2019 but little else, it's going to be a bit of a miracle for me to get it together for 2023 (and I don't believe in miracles!), good luck all.

« Reply #21 on: 20 October, 2022, 06:05:18 am »
10 months out (today) there seems a big lack of hard info out of ACP so far, basics as revealed late last / early this year seem as per 2019 but little else, it's going to be a bit of a miracle for me to get it together for 2023 (and I don't believe in miracles!), good luck all.

Usually this info is supplied at the ACP meeting in january.

phil dubya

« Reply #22 on: 22 October, 2022, 09:53:34 am »
Hi, just checking if the Pubinar is still going ahead tonight?

If so I'm coming from Woodbridge should anyone like a lift.

« Reply #23 on: 22 October, 2022, 11:34:04 am »
Hi, just checking if the Pubinar is still going ahead tonight?

If so I'm coming from Woodbridge should anyone like a lift.

It is. I think it’s food and drink in the Green room from 6pm, and the proceedings get underway at 8pm.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

phil dubya

« Reply #24 on: 22 October, 2022, 12:32:00 pm »

It is. I think it’s food and drink in the Green room from 6pm, and the proceedings get underway at 8pm.

Excellent, thanks.