Author Topic: Squealy weak disc brakes  (Read 710 times)

finch

• Hair today gone tomorrow
    • Comicpictures
Squealy weak disc brakes
« on: 03 July, 2022, 03:06:19 pm »
The brakes in question are Promac Decode R cable actuated jobs , cable is pulled by tiagra levers. Apparently they have only been used once , they were very dirty so I cleaned the discs , removed the pads and cleaned and sanded them so they have no crud on them.

The things slow the bike down but not very quickly when it gets to the point where it’s going to stop they start squealing like crazy

I’ve tried getting up to cruising speed and applying one brake till it gets to the squealy but then repeating in order to get them hot/married but there has been no significant increase in stopping power

I’m not sure what’s wrong - the bike in question has been in storage for ages

It’s not a problem I can just throw money at and get different pads/callipers but I did 20 miles on the thing today and the braking is sketchy - I genuinely assumed normal braking over that kind of mileage would sort them out but it hasn’t

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Squealy weak disc brakes
« Reply #1 on: 03 July, 2022, 04:55:42 pm »
I would try new pads.

I’m sure you’ve done a good job of cleaning the existing ones, but maybe they’re beyond salvation.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Re: Squealy weak disc brakes
« Reply #2 on: 03 July, 2022, 04:58:00 pm »
Sound just like mine were - and a clean of the pads with IPA and sanding did zilch to help. New pads = silence and stopping power. And while your at it re-clean the disc, and re-centre the calliper.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

finch

• Comicpictures
« Reply #3 on: 03 July, 2022, 05:06:35 pm »
Ok I’ll give new pads a try at some point when I can organise it - thanks dudes

« Reply #4 on: 05 July, 2022, 08:53:37 am »
The brakes in question are Promac Decode R cable actuated jobs , cable is pulled by tiagra levers. Apparently they have only been used once , they were very dirty so I cleaned the discs , removed the pads and cleaned and sanded them so they have no crud on them.

How did you clean the pads? They're porous, so any use of detergent etc will result in contamination to a depth. This may have happened before you acquired them, of course. 

I've known braking to improve after leaving a bike out overnight in the rain* as the running water removes soap residue, so you might gain something by soaking them for a day or two. 

I've also had some success removing contamination by soaking them in acetone or meths, and (repeatedly) burning off the residue with a blow torch. There's a risk of heat damaging the glue holding the friction material in place, though, so I couldn't possibly recommend this course of action!

As others have said, new pads is the safe and reliable solution. Lightly sanding the disks can also help if they've become polished.

* This is what led me to realise soap contamination is a problem, and I've avoided washing my MTB ever since!  ;)
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

finch

• Comicpictures
« Reply #5 on: 05 July, 2022, 09:09:14 am »
I gave the discs a good clean and a rub down with wet n dry - they look fine but I didn’t have access to rubbing alcohol so I just gave the pads a good wash in hot water and sanded them - I’m pretty sure they got a good soaking in some sort of oil though cause the bike was covered in residue - I’ve managed to source some resin ones - just cause they’re the quickest to bed in and what not - if that solves it I’ll get good ceramic ones when I have the pennies - I may also elect not to wash the thing  ;D