Author Topic: bikes on brittany ferry from Portsmouth  (Read 2185 times)

bikes on brittany ferry from Portsmouth
« on: 18 July, 2022, 03:20:45 pm »
We're taking our bikes to St Malo next week.  Looking through the ferry information this morning, I was surprised to see that a helmet must be worn whilst, 'on the move' even though we have to push not ride.  I phoned Brittancy Ferries who were also unsure.  I had a call back to say that it's something the port requires as it's a requirement under the UK Highway Code??  I've looked at the government web page on code for cyclists and can't find any information.  Does anyone have recent experience and know if it's absolutely necessary to wear a helmet to push the bike on board?  We really didn't want to take them with us!

Re: bikes on brittany ferry from Portsmouth
« Reply #1 on: 18 July, 2022, 03:49:46 pm »
I caught that ferry back last year, no one mentioned a helmet and I certainly wasn't wearing one (or hi vis and I think that was required too).

I wouldn't fret it, though I came in from the French side. They may be less laissez-faire on the UK side.

« Reply #2 on: 18 July, 2022, 03:53:53 pm »
Bicycle helmets are not compulsory in the UK so it is not a requirement, merely an advisory.

« Reply #3 on: 18 July, 2022, 03:58:59 pm »
I have used that ferry innumerable times, never have I worn a magic hat.  I seem to remember that they want Hi-Viz in places of moving traffic too - I did not do that either.  Walking with your cycle is only required on the metal boarding ramp and on the car deck itself - which is fairly logical due to slots in the ramp and oil (probably) on the decks.

Don't worry about it!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 18 July, 2022, 04:03:44 pm »
I know someone who used that ferry, albeit to Caen not St Malo, about ten days ago. He never wears a helmet and hasn't mentioned any problems. OTOH, he wasn't too impressed by the bike facilities on the boat; bikes just lashed together in a corner.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #5 on: 18 July, 2022, 04:10:44 pm »
A couple of years ago, one of the BF workers stopped me and told me to put my helmet on (it was hanging on my saddlebag). I didn't argue at the time, but I did wonder what would have happened if I was a non-helmet-wearing cyclist. As PB says, helmets are not compulsory in the UK - though the approach to the ferry is not a public highway, it's private land and - theoretically, I suppose - they could make it a condition of you being on that land.

For my money, you would have a very strong argument against having to use one, or carry one with you simply to get on board the ferry, but that's just my opinion. Maybe you could try calling them again to explain the legal position, and ask them if you can't be treated simply as foot passengers who happen to have a bicycle with them? 

« Reply #6 on: 18 July, 2022, 04:24:46 pm »
Thanks for your replies.  It is so annoying!!  Just to be safe, I've ordered a couple of really cheap helmets from Aldi online, £5.99 each which are fitted with a rear light too.  I suppose it could be useful for stashing away a bite of lunch or even carrying back some French cheese. I will find some use for it, even if not on my head!  :)

« Reply #7 on: 18 July, 2022, 09:15:59 pm »
Perhaps they think they'll protect your bonce if the bike is being poked is some tiny corner with big hefty beams at brane height?

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #8 on: 18 July, 2022, 09:38:27 pm »
We've used the St Malo & Caen routes several times - all pretty painless (we all had helmets!)

TIPS: Don't rush to get your bike stored in the room where you lash them to the wall/each other .... wait until last to put the bikes away and you'll be first to retrieve them and off the ferry faster.  AND don't hesitate to rde straight to the front of the queue of cars when you get to France and get to the Passport Control - they let you in front of the cars (at least they did two weeks ago)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #9 on: 19 July, 2022, 03:57:06 pm »
I know someone who used that ferry, albeit to Caen not St Malo, about ten days ago. He never wears a helmet and hasn't mentioned any problems. OTOH, he wasn't too impressed by the bike facilities on the boat; bikes just lashed together in a corner.

That is normal!

I have used that ferry innumerable times, never have I worn a magic hat.  I seem to remember that they want Hi-Viz in places of moving traffic too - I did not do that either.  Walking with your cycle is only required on the metal boarding ramp and on the car deck itself - which is fairly logical due to slots in the ramp and oil (probably) on the decks.

Don't worry about it!

The only ferries I've ever been allowed to ride on the metal have been P&O and former P&O (Northlink), it's not fun...
IIRC the crew that are marshalling cars will also be wearing hard hats although if the mezz deck falls on a bonce outwith a roll cage said bonce has bigger issues than crushed plastics.

ask them if you can't be treated simply as foot passengers who happen to have a bicycle with them?

Pushing a bike up the gangway to then take down a lift to the car deck in the opposite flow to passengers coming up from the car deck ain't likely happening.
It was faff enough at Mallaig on the day Loch Nevis loads from the Quay side rather than ramp and a crew member had to take the bike down because not only was the car deck was already considered off limits to passengers but it wasn't fitting in the lift.

« Reply #10 on: 20 July, 2022, 12:48:11 am »
Does everyone getting out of their cars and walking along the car deck to the stairway wear helmets?
No?
Didn't think so. 😂

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #11 on: 20 July, 2022, 07:49:31 am »
This developing, unnecessarily, into yet another helmet thread.

It's all pretty sensible from BF's perspective - you ride quite a long distance in and around the car queue, passport control, loading area etc to get to the loading ramp for the ship with cars and trucks moving around at rather faster than the limit signs.   To require "helmet and h-viz" when riding in these areas is doubtless to satisfy their liability insurers (and the port owner's) - especially outside of daylight hours.

There is the obvious and necessary requirement to walk with the bike when you are on the metal loading ramp and the metal surface vehicle decks - they are always a bit greasy (I was on the ferry a couple of weeks ago and just wearing trainers and it was slippery underfoot - it's worse when wearing cleated cycling shoes)

Motorcyclists are required to wear helmets (as is the law of the land) in the port area and they are recommended to ride on the steel decks at very slow speed with both feet brushing the deck surface.

For all that I've not seen non-helmet cyclists challenged by BF staff.

So - what's all the fuss about in the thread? 

« Reply #12 on: 20 July, 2022, 09:56:49 am »
Just came back to Plymouth from Santander on Brittany Ferries and certainly helmet use was not mentioned by anyone. However, what I was impressed with was that the dozen cyclists were directed to separate dedicated cyclists queue at passport control at Plymouth were it took all of about 5 mins to get everyone through. It was "for our safety" apparently.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
« Reply #13 on: 25 July, 2022, 06:32:38 pm »
On a ferry from Bilbao last month I found the cycle disembarkation approaching Portsmouth very stressful, firstly they would not allow us onto the deck until the same time as the car passengers so we blagged the lift with the pet owners. We then had to assemble all our luggage back onto the bikes with very little time. And then try to squeeze the bikes between very closely parked huge HGVs and other trailers to get to the front of the ship just as they were revving up their engines.

Embarkation at Bilbao was superb we were first on the boat with our own personal assistant to guide us onto the ferry long before the motorists were allowed on. There may have been a few other cyclists not all wearing helmets (we were) can't say it was at the forefront of my mind. As mentioned upthread it's not a public road so up to BF. I understand they are considering bringing back mandatory face masks even though they are not a UK requirement either.

We were the first off the boat but had we given up and waited for all the HGVs to clear we would have been a. very late b. asphyxiated!

as an aside, owing to our outward flight being cancelled and the trip curtailed we considered not even taking bikes but were informed that as foot pax we would also lose our booked cabin as they were reserved for motorists and cyclists.

« Reply #14 on: 25 July, 2022, 10:50:39 pm »
We've done Portsmouth Caen a couple of times with BF and I don't wear a lid. Not a word from anyone.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #15 on: 02 August, 2022, 01:24:36 pm »
Just came back to Plymouth from Santander on Brittany Ferries and certainly helmet use was not mentioned by anyone. However, what I was impressed with was that the dozen cyclists were directed to separate dedicated cyclists queue at passport control at Plymouth were it took all of about 5 mins to get everyone through. It was "for our safety" apparently.

A great many years ago we took a tandem and trailer Portsmouth-Cherbourg (P&O IIRC) to Normandy. We walked on with the cars, pushing the tandem and trailer (total length about 4m). On the return journey we came off in Portsmouth at the beginning of night. A port worker saw us basically getting in the way of everyone and waved us out through a side gate (port workers for the use of) without collecting boarding card or passport control (this was in the days when there was passport control, I think you had to get it checked on board before landing). Just to get us out of the way.
The same thing happened on the same trip getting out of Oxford railway station. I don't think we smelled that bad!