Author Topic: New Cross Channel Ferry Route ! Dover to Boulogne , by sail.  (Read 1782 times)

New Cross Channel Ferry Route ! Dover to Boulogne , by sail.
« on: 19 August, 2022, 10:26:36 am »
https://www.doverport.co.uk/about/news/new-sustainable-passenger-service-due-to-launch-in/13700/

https://saillink.co.uk

"SailLink is a new cross-channel ferry service specifically for foot passengers, cycle tourists and small groups looking for a unique travelling experience with sustainable credentials. It will use purpose-built sailing vessels to take a maximum of twelve passengers between the two attractive and accessible coastal destinations of Dover and Boulogne-Sur-Mer."

Edit: 
"Due to space restrictions on the pilot phase vessel, we can take a max of only 2 bikes per crossing. No bike trailers, tandems, cargo bikes etc. Folding bikes are considered regular luggage so there is no charge.

Pah!  There goes the idea of a YACF block booking.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Re: New Cross Channel Ferry Route ! Dover to Boulogne , by sail.
« Reply #1 on: 19 August, 2022, 11:21:06 am »
That looks brilliant. If I didn't already have so much going on in September I would be planning a trip across the channel on their service right now. Fingers crossed the pilot goes well and they have a service running next year.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 19 August, 2022, 03:22:11 pm »
It's a lovely idea. I think that time and price mean it will be well used by comparatively well-heeled greenies and rejected by everyone else. With a capacity of 12, it won't matter.

Edit:
"Due to space restrictions on the pilot phase vessel, we can take a max of only 2 bikes per crossing. No bike trailers, tandems, cargo bikes etc. Folding bikes are considered regular luggage so there is no charge.

Pah!  There goes the idea of a YACF block booking.
Maybe a Brompton tour?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #3 on: 19 August, 2022, 04:20:21 pm »
Be interesting to know what their business plan says for rough weather issues/cancelled sailings . . .  and I bet the liabiity insurance premium is pretty big!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4 on: 19 August, 2022, 05:12:54 pm »
Be interesting to know what their business plan says for rough weather issues/cancelled sailings . . .  and I bet the liabiity insurance premium is pretty big!
The link suggested they'll team up with regular ferries and off load passengers onto thise if the weather is bad.
Though, the company will work with the existing ferry operators to carry passengers to maintain their travel itineraries when weather conditions would make a specific crossing uncomfortable.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
« Reply #5 on: 19 August, 2022, 07:18:54 pm »
sounds very sketchy; the straits of Dover are not the best place to sail a catamaran with all the associated wind and tacking calculations on top of being in one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world. You can't often sail in a straight line between origin and destination.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #6 on: 19 August, 2022, 07:41:09 pm »
The link suggested they'll team up with regular ferries and off load passengers onto thise if the weather is bad.
Though, the company will work with the existing ferry operators to carry passengers to maintain their travel itineraries when weather conditions would make a specific crossing uncomfortable.

Yes, yes - I was coming at the question from the business perspective - in other words of the n crossings scheduled, how many would they budget for to be cancelled?

. . . and the point bove about the busy shipping lane etc is a very valid one - I know "steam gives way to sail" but an oil tanker has no brakes and steering is ponderous!!

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
« Reply #7 on: 19 August, 2022, 08:01:20 pm »
. . . and the point bove about the busy shipping lane etc is a very valid one - I know "steam gives way to sail" but an oil tanker has no brakes and steering is ponderous!!

I'm currently doing an online sailing course, the rule is that a vessel under sail must cross a shipping line at 90o (and wait in the middle if required), steam does not give way to sail it comes down to the maneouverability / speed of each craft, an oil tanker is a lot harder to steer and faster than a cat

« Reply #8 on: 20 August, 2022, 12:03:35 pm »
Now if they used any port other than Dover I could be interested. But Dover is not accessible, although it is very interesting if you're not trying to get on a ferry. Folkestone with thé shuttle as a bad weather option ? B

« Reply #9 on: 20 August, 2022, 12:20:19 pm »
Now if they used any port other than Dover I could be interested. But Dover is not accessible, although it is very interesting if you're not trying to get on a ferry. Folkestone with thé shuttle as a bad weather option ? B

I initially read the title as sailing from New Cross - that would be interesting!
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 20 August, 2022, 02:30:03 pm »
It's a novelty of course, but an interesting one.  Would be a great way to kick off a cycle tour.  Good luck to them.

« Reply #11 on: 20 August, 2022, 09:28:34 pm »
What an adventure, seconded.  :thumbsup:
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #12 on: 21 August, 2022, 07:53:21 am »

I initially read the title as sailing from New Cross - that would be interesting!
In 1934, PL Fermor describes his trans-European walking adventure as starting with the last ferry still sailing from London. Probably not actually New Cross though...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #13 on: 21 August, 2022, 10:18:44 pm »
£85 for a passenger. I'm out.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #14 on: 21 August, 2022, 10:47:30 pm »
"Access on and off the vessel involves a ladder and stepping over a hand rail. Please be aware of this."

Could make travelling with your bike, um, interesting...