Author Topic: AndrewC's September Pilgrimage.  (Read 4165 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: AndrewC's September Pilgrimage.
« Reply #25 on: 16 September, 2022, 10:30:27 pm »
Are you still expecting to be in Kent next week, Andrew?

If you are, I shall have to play it by ear if I get to see you. I think Monday is a non-starter and because it's now a bank hol, I have had to rearrange the car's MOT for Thursday.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #26 on: 16 September, 2022, 10:46:57 pm »
I’ve got to be in London for Friday afternoon, which means I have to be close to Ashford or Canterbury on Thursday. 
I had hoped to visit Charleston farmhouse, but it doesn’t open until Wednesday, by which time I’ll probably be too far past it.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #27 on: 18 September, 2022, 09:35:50 pm »
Saturday was an “off the bike” day, so I got the bus into Chichester for a wander around.  A heyuuuge Full English & large pot of tea set me up for the day.  It seems a pleasant & pretty place.  The cathedral was pre-occupied with mourning, but I was able to have a good look around. Well worth the time. Even a gorgeous window designed by Chagall. 
I also went to Pallant House gallery, see links in Arts & Entertainments.

Today has been vaguely disappointing!  I’ve done some lovely riding, but covered very little distance.  Faffage meant I wasn’t on the road until 11.  I went up minor roads towards Goodwood, which appeared to have something on, with lots of “road closed” signs which I ignored. Quite a few sports cars around.  I saw a pub in East Dean with a sign saying “cyclists refreshment stop “, so I had to check it out.  A pint & a toasted club sandwich.

Back on the road & I began to think about a campsite.  There didn’t seem many in the direction I wanted to go within easy reach.  I also needed to shop for meths & teabags!

The village shop at Graffham provided both.  The C&CC site is my home for the night.  I’ve stayed here once before. Very quiet & very dark.  A good place.

« Reply #28 on: 20 September, 2022, 10:37:07 pm »
Monday saw some distance covered. I left Graffham & got back on the main road, being overtaken by vintage cars from Goodwood.  Up to Petworth and then out an down the B2138 , turned at Coldwaltham and minor roads to rejoin the A283 to Storrington. Roads were fairly quiet, lots of motorcycles.  A283 to Steyning and then the narrow road behind the downs to Fulking and Poynings. Some paragliders out to play.  Onto the B2116 and traffic began to build up. There was a big queue in the Coop at Hurstpierpoint.  I camped at Stoneywish, just outside Ditchling,  £8 for a quiet field. Toilets & cold water but no showers.  It was mild enough for me to sleep with the tent open.

Up early on Tuesday, but still not on the road until 10.  Into & out of Lewes, which seemed to be very busy for traffic. I wasn’t happy until I turned onto the B2124.  Off that at Laughton & minor roads to Berwick & the church with paintings by Duncan Grant & Vanessa Bell. A couple of short videos below. 

https://twitter.com/andrewxclark/status/1572228703555403776

NCN 2 to Polegate and I camped at Peel House Farm.  Decent facilities, a nice quiet tent field to myself. They quoted £15 but haven’t been around for the money yet.

« Reply #29 on: 21 September, 2022, 08:25:46 pm »
Most of today was spent on National Cycle Route 2. This took me from Polegate to Bexhill via the Pevensey Levels, then along the coast to Hastings, then over to Winchelsea & Rye.  Some lovely riding, but I thought these routes were for people of all abilities?  The climb out of Hastings is horrendous. 

Currently at Mackney Farm near Stone in Oxney.  £15. A single toilet with a cold tap & no light. No shower or dishwashing sink.  I’m the first camper they’ve had in weeks…

The plan is to stay at the C&CC site outside Canterbury tomorrow & train home on Friday, Ariva West Coast permitting!

« Reply #30 on: 21 September, 2022, 10:23:01 pm »
The plan is to stay at the C&CC site outside Canterbury tomorrow & train home on Friday, Ariva West Coast permitting!
We stayed at the Canterbury site just this last weekend, travelled back on Monday. Its a good, clean site and we found the staff very friendly and helpful; one of them recommended the Two Sawyers pub for a meal - 10% off for people staying at the campsite, apparently (we didn't take advantage of the offer).

Mind you, there's a bit of a hill between Canterbury and the campsite.