Author Topic: Riding in Scotland on the best parts of the NC500  (Read 1279 times)

Riding in Scotland on the best parts of the NC500
« on: 27 October, 2022, 09:51:49 pm »
Just a few thoughts on my weeks riding in Scotland on the best parts of the NC500.
My first thing to say don’t try to do the complete NC500, the section from Bettyhill to JOG is not worth it unless you really want to go to JOG. Don’t do the east side along the A9, a horrible road to cycle even with the occasional cycle path sections. Once at Bettyyhill come down via the Crask Inn to Larig. From Larig there are several options to get back to Inverness but avoid as much of the A9 as possible.
I planned a route over 7 days but seriously underestimated how tough the climbing was and how it reduces the average speed. My cycling mate had never done back-to-back days of 100+km rides before and by the end of day 3 was very tired. We had an impromptu rest day and got a taxi to the next hotel. I would suggest around 100km per day with maybe a shorter day in the middle.
The climbing was a challenge, Belach-na-baa is brutal but there are many other climbs that also test you. Some are short but very steep others long and steep!! Have the lowest gears possible available. We were self-supported with hotels every night so carried everything on the bike.
However, it was worth all the pain and effort as the scenery was stunning and the people so friendly. They like cyclist more than other types of tourists. If you are thinking of doing it, then don’t wait any longer go ahead and do it.
We did the ride in the middle of October. The advantage was very little traffic on the roads which was perfect. I don’t think I would like to do it in the middle of the holiday season there would be too much traffic. The disadvantage of that time of the year was some café etc were closed. Some places were closed having not opened after Covid. Weather wise I don’t think there is a good time – it is Scotland.
If anybody wants any info on our route, hotels etc including very cheap parking in Inverness for a week then just get in touch.
I will now do some more bikepacking trips and we are looking at riding the Normandy beaches next year.