Author Topic: A6 Kendal to Penrith  (Read 2143 times)

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
A6 Kendal to Penrith
« on: 10 November, 2022, 01:23:31 pm »
is this suitable for cycling? I've read various reports that it's empty since the M6 opened to being one of the most dangerous roads in the UK.

The alternatives look rather Scenic and I don't really want a full value 200 in November

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: A6 Kendal to Penrith
« Reply #1 on: 10 November, 2022, 01:35:31 pm »
Going Over Shap's been fine when I've ridden it.
Nice bus shelter and lavvy in Shap Village

GdS

« Reply #2 on: 10 November, 2022, 01:37:57 pm »
Going Over Shap's been fine when I've ridden it.
Nice bus shelter and lavvy in Shap Village

Ok thanks, I've routed completely away from it N of Penrith as there appears to be a very quite road(s) parallel

« Reply #3 on: 10 November, 2022, 01:54:01 pm »
Aye that bit's fine - I rode it last Friday from north of Penrith to Kendal, and it's in my 600 next year ;D

The lanes north of Penrith are better than the A6 and quite flat, and south of Kendal I'd give the main roads a miss even if it meant going over Hardknott (but luckily the lanes round there are pretty gentle).

GdS

« Reply #4 on: 10 November, 2022, 02:01:24 pm »
here's the planned route, does the S bit look OK?

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/41077785

« Reply #5 on: 10 November, 2022, 02:15:13 pm »
Mostly - I'd just trim out that bit of the A590, it's a shocker with traffic flying into the Lakes.

You can just pick your lanes between Sedgwick and Milnthorpe, they're all pretty decent. Then the A6 south of there is ok for getting the miles in, if not a personal favourite.

« Reply #6 on: 10 November, 2022, 04:42:51 pm »
is this suitable for cycling? I've read various reports that it's empty since the M6 opened to being one of the most dangerous roads in the UK.

The alternatives look rather Scenic and I don't really want a full value 200 in November
Not from Kendal, but the A6 is fine IME.

I'd have happily taken it to Carlisle, but I took a C road closer to the M6, in case I wanted to nip in at Southwaite.

This ought give you some sense of that section - https://youtu.be/_V9XBfqR3RA?list=PLju3kfo-LQwN6Dkc9V1wMjonvub2yQwv7&t=8818

I didn't even have problems with the section from Derby to Chatsworth, which is substantially busier.

« Reply #7 on: 10 November, 2022, 05:18:19 pm »
here's the planned route, does the S bit look OK?

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/41077785

I live in the area. The A6 from Kendal to Penrith is fine. I avoid it south of Kendal but it's not bad as sight lines are good, though traffic tends to be fast. Absolutely do not go on that bit of the A590 you've plotted - quite apart from anything else, just crossing the carriageways there can be a bit drawn out! From Carnforth, I'd go as per this: https://www.komoot.com/tour/976364740?share_token=aj94CIFripZUNcKyJh3G5aeV22P3d3jQf1zNqkhP3bHPFQ3oWU&ref=wtd

GdS

« Reply #8 on: 10 November, 2022, 07:08:13 pm »

I live in the area. The A6 from Kendal to Penrith is fine. I avoid it south of Kendal but it's not bad as sight lines are good, though traffic tends to be fast. Absolutely do not go on that bit of the A590 you've plotted - quite apart from anything else, just crossing the carriageways there can be a bit drawn out! From Carnforth, I'd go as per this: https://www.komoot.com/tour/976364740?share_token=aj94CIFripZUNcKyJh3G5aeV22P3d3jQf1zNqkhP3bHPFQ3oWU&ref=wtd

Thanks; I've already avoided the A590; as it stands the 200 is 219 which is taking me onto small lanes to Hexham after dark so I want to keep it short and sweet! (and also I think the rail line is shut due to a derailment)

will be on the road 0700 latest

and all for just one cathedral (Carlisle) but the next day hopefully brings 4 more!

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #9 on: 10 November, 2022, 09:10:25 pm »
Thanks; I've already avoided the A590; as it stands the 200 is 219 which is taking me onto small lanes to Hexham after dark so I want to keep it short and sweet! (and also I think the rail line is shut due to a derailment)

The railway line between Carlisle and Newcastle is currently closed just east of Carlisle due to a fairly major derailment. There's a rail replacement bus service between Carlisle and Haltwhistle with a train the rest of the way to Newcastle. According to National Rail Enquiries, trains are supposed** to start running at 06:00 on Monday 28th November. (** Insert standard disclaimer here!)
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

GdS

« Reply #10 on: 14 November, 2022, 05:07:43 pm »
I was able to follow the old A590 to where it became No Entry but there is a pavement you can use to cross it down to the roundabout, a nice lane after that over a bridge.

The laney alternative route from N of Penrith Carlisle was sublime with a late afternoon sun and tailwind