Author Topic: Plotting routes  (Read 1517 times)

Plotting routes
« on: 10 December, 2022, 10:57:01 am »
Hi Folks,

I've had a peek at the 'All Points North' event. How does one go about plotting routes when 10 points need to be visited?

Cheers, Doo  ;D
I dunno why anybody's doing this!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Plotting routes
« Reply #1 on: 10 December, 2022, 11:11:21 am »
Hi Folks,

I've had a peek at the 'All Points North' event. How does one go about plotting routes when 10 points need to be visited?

Cheers, Doo  ;D

Short answer: Carefully.

Longer answer: with strava or ridewithgps or komoot.

Plot one route, then see if you like it, try a different version.

make sure when you load the route up that you get the correct APN-2023-final.Final.Final.Fewerhills.Final.Shortest.gpx.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #2 on: 10 December, 2022, 12:25:20 pm »
I think I’d start with a large scale map on the floor and get a sense of what implications the ordering is likely to have on distance, hills, finding food and rest, and so on. So checkpoints plus the Pennines here, big river there, places to cross a motorway, big town to avoid.
Then go to something like Komoot for the detail.

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #3 on: 10 December, 2022, 12:32:46 pm »
To be fair, whilst I wouldn't use google maps normally - it may be useful in this case to get started.

You can put in 10 points and then drag to reorder and see what this looks like. Quick and dirty starting point

« Reply #4 on: 10 December, 2022, 05:37:02 pm »
There are tools online to optimise visiting that many points in shortest distance / time.  Be aware they won’t be optimised for cycling routes.  That’ll give you an idea of what order to visit the 10 points to minimise distance.  Then get plotting with a cycle specific router.

That’s the approach I’d take to get started anyway.

« Reply #5 on: 11 December, 2022, 01:56:27 pm »
Cheers All  :D
I dunno why anybody's doing this!