Author Topic: Amsterdam sight-seeing.  (Read 1570 times)

Amsterdam sight-seeing.
« on: 17 December, 2022, 10:18:58 am »
I will put this here although it has strictly nothing to do with cycling.

Madame has expressed a desire to have a short tourist visit to Amsterdam (think long week-end). She does not cycle, has not been anywhere near a bike for the last quarter century (when 20mins on the back of the tandem stopped her sitting down comfortably for a week!) so it will be public transport - buses,trams, waterbuses etc. Going to get there by train. Possibly 2023 sometime.

So - what is there to see in Amsterdam - museums, art galleries, public gardens, botanic mysteries etc. requirement accessible by public transport with a minimum of walking. Also are there reasonably cheap family-type hotels? Are there areas to favour for hotels, areas to avoid at all costs?

And will my Mastercard on a french bank work for payment or should I travel with a suitcase of 50€ notes?

All suggestions welcome (except ones that unite Madame and pedal-power, sorry  :facepalm: )

Cheers Jo

Re: Amsterdam sight-seeing.
« Reply #1 on: 17 December, 2022, 10:40:13 am »
Lots to see and do, although it's not (IMHO) quite as pleasant a place as it once was.  Tushinski Theater is worth seeing a film at, as long as it is in screen 1, for the beautiful art deco design. The diamond merchants, like Gassan, used to do free tours. Plenty of art museums. Jordaan area in the western fringe of canal belt is really nice and puts you well away from the scuzz.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 17 December, 2022, 10:57:21 am »
2nd for Jordaan area it's got some nice wee boutique shops if that is desirable. We stayed in a nice hotel there called Sebastians. Nowhere in Amsterdam seems to be cheap at the moment though. When we were briefly looking last year even the Ibis Styles was 200 a night.
Public transport is easy, you can get a public transport card for the weekend, I imagine fairly easily in the station and then Google maps is your friend.
We went on a food tour (think it was called Hungry Birds street food). I love these in cities because you get a bit of a walk and they take you places you would probably never find yourself.

Also, if you're into fancy beer Foeders is the place.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #3 on: 17 December, 2022, 12:14:13 pm »
I went there with my sister and niece in 2019 (ie BC) - we opted to stay in Haarlem rather than Amsterdam as it was cheaper and very easy to get in on the train (and Haarlem is a very attractive place in its own right of course). Getting a travel card allows you to hop on trains and trams quite freely. We mostly just walked around to take in the general sights and atmosphere, but we did the touristy thing and took a boat trip - which was worth doing I think to get that alterative view and an informative commentary.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 17 December, 2022, 01:38:06 pm »

My number one recommendation for things for tourists to do in Amsterdam is simple. Leave

No I don't mean you shouldn't come, I'm not Gemeente Amsterdam, but there's so much to see that is not in the city

- Utrecht. If you want pretty Dutch architecture, nice canals, and without the annoying tourists. Utrecht is 30 mins from Amsterdam. Has some nice museums too.

- Zaanse schaans. Windmills and tourists. Lots of both. Great little museums, about 15 mins by train from Amsterdam.

- Leiden. A lovely city, fewer tourists, some nice museums.

- Haarlem. Quaint museums, lovely architecture, great atmosphere, 15 mins from Amsterdam

- Alkmaar. Cheese. Cheese market! About 30 mins from Amsterdam.

Public transport is great. There's at least 4 trains an hour to each of the above, it's cheap, and despite my constant naggi of NS, actually pretty good. Esp compared to many other places.

If you do insist on staying in the city then the house boat museum is an utter delight, the nine streets are quaint, the Jordaan is pretty. Avoid the red light district, it's full of drunk and stoned British tourists, try to avoid going further in than Single.

If you want to try some good beer - t'arensnest. If you want proper Dutch food - Moeders.

And above all. As a pedestrian. Remember the most important of all:

Red is dead. The fietspad is red, fietsers take zero prisoners, and you are just another point to our high score.

If you want to say hello when you're here, would be great to meet for coffee or a beer, am also happy to show you round.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #5 on: 17 December, 2022, 02:04:10 pm »
Yes, Arendsnest is good, ~50 beers on tap!

De Kattenkabinet is a daft cat themed museum.

« Reply #6 on: 20 December, 2022, 09:47:52 am »
Thank you all for all those very helpful replies. Food for thought. It looks like Haarlem might be a choice landing place.

Might come back on this at a later date (when there is a date. In this family we have to tie down dates, otherwise it never happens!)

Thank you very much for the offer QG.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #7 on: 31 December, 2022, 07:22:26 pm »
Volendam is quite twee,  timbered houses, old boats, sort of Whitstable with Cheese.  Great little mobile fish shop selling 'peices ' of battered fish, very tasty, also Edam is worth a visit, both doable on the local bus.  Also take the free ferries across from the station, to the other side, there was a great quirky bar (with a man made beach),  and its made from steel shipping containers,cut open, with a balcony, great amosphere, head across towards the 'Botel' and you'll see it on your right. 
Also ,but a bit cheesy, (sorry) is a boat trip on the canals of the City, if you stand with your back to the station, the boats over  to the left were considerably cheaper than the ones directly in front /to the right. i enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

« Reply #8 on: 04 January, 2023, 02:09:07 pm »
If you have a requirement for tourist tat/souvenirs then the Bloemenmarkt (flower market) and adjacent street is good. We were there just before Christmas but most of our sightseeing was centered around a set of art installations that were only there temporarily; and we went for a ride on hire bikes which we enjoyed.