Author Topic: The summer holiday in France  (Read 1702 times)

The summer holiday in France
« on: 18 April, 2008, 08:32:44 pm »
The old Jack Russell and i live our life in a calm interdependence.He has not been too well recently,apart from rheumatics in his front shoulders he suffers from stress induced TIAs (mini strokes).Putting him in the hold of the ferry to Calais was becoming a problem.

We have now saved enough Tesco Club Points to afford a EuroTunnel passage for us and the camping car.

Trials have been held and his Avenir mule trailer (he is not infirm but tires quickly)and the Dawes Hybrid will fit on the bike rack of the motorhome.So in September we hope to go for a month's wander around the Voies Vertes of the Bourgogne in France.Auxerre/Nevers/Macon.Most of these cycling trails follow canal routes so i cannot think that any large climbs are involved.Dawes Hybrid/Avenir Mule/Old Dog and my aged limbs do not climb hills.

Has anyone experience of this area and can recommend preparatory reading? www.la-bourgogne-a-velo.com

Quite looking forward to it.

N

Mal-odorous,liver-spotted, coffin-dodger.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: The summer holiday in France
« Reply #1 on: 18 April, 2008, 09:03:34 pm »
There's lots of good stuff in the link you have - the really good VV is from Givry to Macon - virtually flat, tarmac, at all/most of the road crossing the cars have to give way to the VV cyclists or skaters.

At Cormatin there was an excellent cycle museum - sadly closed as the chap ran out of money  :(

We have a cycle trip organised this year that goes from Calais to Montpellier via Champagne, Burgundy, Beajolais etc ... and using the VV I mentioned above befoe following the Rhone route to Avignon and the coast.

Some initial detail at  www.beewee.org.uk  and the Boys' Outing/French E2E link.

Rob