Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 513411 times)

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Tomorrow I'm going to attempt to make my first pizzas since we moved last year. Let's hope I haven't forgotten how to do it  :-\
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

I like rollmops for lunch occasionally, but they haven't been available to order online @ Tesco for ages. However last evening I spotted some in our local farm shop (they'll probably be gone in a few weeks, they trial a lot of stuff and never re-stock it, like the best naans I'd ever bought in a shop) so decided to buy some. And next to them I saw, from the same manufacturer, sweet cured herring.  I checked the ingredients, and noted that the sweet cure had sugar (no surprise) and acetic acid, whereas the rollmop have white vinegar.  But what took my eye was the percentage of herring.  39% in the rollmops, 50% in the sweetcure. Same size pot, same price. Sweetcure it is then.

ETA if they're any good I might stock up, given the use by or whatever date was September time.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Damn, you've given me a hankering for rollmops now.

Shop-bought ones are often disappointing though. I might go down to the fish market tomorrow and see if they have any fresh herrings so I can make my own. Never tried it before but I imagine it's quite easy. (This Hugh FW recipe looks good.)

Wonder why the difference between the sweet cure and rollmops. Odd.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Went out for a meal with my favourite Aussie at my favourite Italian restaurant last Wednesday (Il Bordello in Wapping).
My lunch today was what we had as a starter on Wednesday. Smoked salmon, Swiss rolled with a puree of prawns and avocado. Quick and dead easy to make.

ETA - My Swiss rolling isn't as tidy as their's.

There was fruit and veg stall in our High Street until early this year, closed down probably due to the lockdowns.

It is now a supplier of "gourmet doughnuts".  ???

Just been having a look at my free (with other org membership) Tastecard - very underwhelming.  Only two places around here one restaurant only in December, and ask italian, for 2 people weekdays.  Nothing where we're on holiday.  Some places of possible interest in Oxford.   The other savings are 'pay extra'...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Blimey, I got a Tastecard as a "perk" through my job several years ago - must be more than 8 years ago, seeing as it's that long since I left that job. I think I used it once.

Amazed to learn the scheme is still going.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

I think I got one once, pretty sure I used it once too, in one of the generic Italians for a team lunch if I recall. Didn't do much for the wine bill.

Blimey, I got a Tastecard as a "perk" through my job several years ago - must be more than 8 years ago, seeing as it's that long since I left that job. I think I used it once.

Amazed to learn the scheme is still going.

More 'limping' than 'going' probably.  Also had one years ago, and didn't use it.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

ian

Seems to be one of those general employee perks. I'm old enough that I remember getting luncheon vouchers. That was when I first arrived in London and meant I could stop eating from bins.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I gotta Tastecard from my bank as a perk of one of their Posh and Pricy accounts.

Have maybe used it twice in ten years.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
I'm old enough that I remember getting luncheon vouchers. That was when I first arrived in London and meant I could stop eating from bins.

Yes, I got those too!
Some places in Furryboottoon even accepted them, too!
Gone the way of Green Shield Stamps now, I suppose.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I remember the sticker in the window of The Scottish Restaurant.  Which I'm betting was the only place that accepted them towards the end.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Ah yes, luncheon vouchers.  Mine would only stretch to a couple of toasted tea cakes..
But with butter
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Looks like justeat.co.uk website is down.

Might have to PHONE the Chinese...

ian

I did happen to glance at the windows of several London sandwich shops over the weekend – it seems luncheon vouchers are still a thing (accepted at 33,000 places, so asserts their website). I used to get them as I worked at a London office of an Oxford-based concern, and they had a subsidized cafeteria (with Thameside seating and Killer Swans) but our little branch office did not.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
I used to get them when I worked at what was then City of London Polytechnic.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

I am partial to the occasional non-meat sausage, but really?:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-62180322

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Well, They want to increase defence spending so why not get industry to sponsor a ship, tank, regiment or aircraft ;)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

I made my first pizza in about 2 years today. It was ok.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
I made my first pizza in many years this week. Found  v old yeast in the back of the cupboard.
It didn't work.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

I made my first pizza in many years this week. Found  v old yeast in the back of the cupboard.
It didn't work.

I did exactly the same about a month ago, the dough just sulked, so it was garage pizza that time. Then I bought some new yeast.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Snack bars, Alpkit recipe. Apricot, dried blueberries, coconut, salted pecans, sunflower, pumpkin and linseed.

“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Over on the LEL Facebook page, I've just attempted to explain the term 'School Pudding'...