Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 518481 times)

I just had an “Indian” takeaway, from a new restaurant, Pheriwala, in Tring. A really really nice meal, and a new dish to me, Bagar & Baingan (Aubergine - the small Bangladeshi ones - and Peanuts), which was fantastic. And all the dishes (pathia, sag aloo were the others) had distinct flavours with a minimum of oil. Brilliant.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
MrsT just showed me a passage in one of her vast books on health, food, exercise and how to make a pleasurable obsession into an austere, guilt-emburdened grind.  Still... It told of how the authors stopped at a roadside restaurant in the US and ordered breakfast, which came with hash browns, waffles, syrup, fries, eggs, god knows what else and a "side" of bacon*.  Upon asking if they'd ordered extra bacon the help said no, a pound was standard. One of them had ordered an omelette that was so vast they thought it was for two but no again: a "normal" omelette contained a full dozen eggs.

* which for me is the same as a pig split up the middle and I wasn't that far wrong.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

MrsT just showed me a passage in one of her vast books on health, food, exercise and how to make a pleasurable obsession into an austere, guilt-emburdened grind.  Still... It told of how the authors stopped at a roadside restaurant in the US and ordered breakfast, which came with hash browns, waffles, syrup, fries, eggs, god knows what else and a "side" of bacon*.  Upon asking if they'd ordered extra bacon the help said no, a pound was standard. One of them had ordered an omelette that was so vast they thought it was for two but no again: a "normal" omelette contained a full dozen eggs.

* which for me is the same as a pig split up the middle and I wasn't that far wrong.

How lightweight and, moreover, un-American of them :demon: ;D :demon: :

Quote from: Parks and Recreation (Season 3, Episode 6)
Ron Swanson: Just give me all the bacon and eggs you have. Wait, wait. I'm worried what you just heard was, "Give me a lot of bacon and eggs." What I said was, "Give me all the bacon and eggs you have." Do you understand?
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

My new daughter-not-in-law gave me a chinese peeler at christmas.

Initially unsure about it, as ergonomic safety was not a consideration, and it seemed a bit uncontrollable.

Now a convert. Takes much less effort than the classic peeler to use (although I've only used it on carrots to date).

It is one of these (reddit thread informs me that they are called 'sugarcane peelers') https://www.reddit.com/r/BuyItForLife/comments/l2uvuk/the_best_potato_peeler_ive_ever_owned_bought_it/
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
I have just chopped up 5 over ripe bananas and stuck them in the freezer with a view to whizzing them into banana ice cream when frozen. (Maybe with a little splosh of rum).
More on that story later.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Little splosh of rum.
I'm interested.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
I just had an “Indian” takeaway, from a new restaurant, Pheriwala, in Tring. A really really nice meal, and a new dish to me, Bagar & Baingan (Aubergine - the small Bangladeshi ones - and Peanuts), which was fantastic. And all the dishes (pathia, sag aloo were the others) had distinct flavours with a minimum of oil. Brilliant.

Sounds good. That aubergine dish is vaguely familiar to me - sure I've had something like that before and was similarly enthusiastic. Can't remember when or where though.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
I have just chopped up 5 over ripe bananas and stuck them in the freezer with a view to whizzing them into banana ice cream when frozen. (Maybe with a little splosh of rum).
More on that story later.

At one point I thought I was going to end up with a pile of frozen crumbly bananas but it did all go in to a mush eventually.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Because of acid reflux I've been off tea since last spring. Thought I'd try a cup a while back and laid in fresh bags.  This morning I brewed up, but after the first sip I poured it down the drain.

How do you drink the stuff?  And how the hell did I drink it for 70 years?

Black.

Try it, you might enjoy.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Have done, on occasion. Not my cuppa.

And in any case I'd have to want to drink tea.  After this morning I don't any more.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Burn the heretic!

;)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

I don'tlike tea either
Try telling that to the WI when you have just delivered a talk/demo.

I don'tlike tea either
Try telling that to the WI when you have just delivered a talk/demo.

Where do you think the inspiration for the "WOULD. YOU. CARE. FOR. SOME. TEA?" scene in Doctor Who came from?  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Sorry that's lost on me - never watched Dr Who

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Me neither, but I couldn't resist googling it. It seems like a spoof though:
https://youtu.be/BJDHfksDgHE
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Anyhow, it being loafing about the house time of year I decided to try and use them up. First up, in a festive bent; tater, pea and Brussels sprout samosas.
Chez Pingu not having a jar of curry powder I winged it with a bit of my pre made East African spiced lentil mix (minus the lentils, obv), some ras el hanout, a bit of harissa spice mix and some turmeric. And salt.
Tasted good but I know why people by these things pre made from the stupormarket now.

I made authentic samosas once, not with fillo pastry but where you roll out chapatti flour dough really thin and cut into long rectangles. The list of spices was about a metre long and included various 1/2 teaspoon of $random_thing per 500 samosas-worth of mixture, so basically impossible to make a fraction of the recipe.

They tasted exactly like the real thing, but I had enough to feed everyone I knew for weeks.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Sainsbury's plant based no-bacon no-chicken Caesar wrap.
I'm fairly sure I'll not be buying another one of those.  :sick:

"Plant-based" seems to be the new food buzz word. I'm struggling to work out if it's a pseudonym synonym for "Vegan" or "Revolting"
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
In response to MrsT's agit-prop, tried oat milk in my morning cappuccino. :sick:

Cudzoziemiec

"Plant-based" seems to be the new food buzz word. I'm struggling to work out if it's a pseudonym synonym for "Vegan" or "Revolting"
Vegan means things which simply do not contain animal products. Plant based means imitations of meat, dairy, etc. Except when it's the other way round.

citoyen

Vegan means things which simply do not contain animal products. Plant based means imitations of meat, dairy, etc. Except when it's the other way round.

Vegan describes the philosophy. Foods (and clothes, cosmetics etc) can't be vegan but can be vegan-friendly.

Plant-based is a description of food products.

Also describes a lifestyle that isn't exclusively vegan. Maybe vegan-curious.

Cudzoziemiec

Vegan describes the philosophy. Foods (and clothes, cosmetics etc) can't be vegan but can be vegan-friendly.

Plant-based is a description of food products.

Also describes a lifestyle that isn't exclusively vegan. Maybe vegan-curious.
Yes, and that's a more fundamentally useful way of using those words, but it's not what the supermarkets do! Also, plant-based doesn't cover synthetics, obviously, whether in foods or clothing, and then there's the question of lab-grown meat; that's definitely not plant-based but might be accepted by some vegans.

citoyen

I could be wrong but I don't think there's any strict legal definition for either "vegan" or "plant-based" to govern how they are used in product naming or labelling, so don't expect any consistency there. It's all just marketing.

You can buy products that are certified by the Vegan Society, and marked with their logo, but just as with "organic", the value of the label is only worth as much as your opinion of the certifying body.

Apparently Tesco no longer sell blood oranges. Oh no, they sell "sweet red" oranges instead  ::-) ::-)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
My Facebook feed is advertouting 4.5kg Toblerone bars for £73.99.

HTF are you supposed to eat/share these?

I find the 360g bars daunting enough!