Author Topic: First-World Problems.  (Read 336370 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: First-World Problems.
« Reply #2775 on: 14 March, 2022, 12:43:12 pm »
I think it was gerwinium OTP who got a load of abuse from a random drunk woman on a train for wearing socks embroidered with the day of the week on the wrong day.
To be fair, that's getting into custodial sentence territory.
Yebbut you sort all your black cable ties in order of blackness.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2776 on: 14 March, 2022, 02:03:56 pm »
I think it was gerwinium OTP who got a load of abuse from a random drunk woman on a train for wearing socks embroidered with the day of the week on the wrong day.
Yebbut you sort all your black cable ties in order of blackness.
And you don’t???  :o ??? :o
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #2777 on: 14 March, 2022, 02:06:41 pm »
It's nearly as bad as wearing these on the wrong feet:- https://www.force4.co.uk/item/Nauticalia/Port-and-Starboard-Socks/75M
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #2778 on: 14 March, 2022, 02:30:22 pm »
It's nearly as bad as wearing these on the wrong feet:- https://www.force4.co.uk/item/Nauticalia/Port-and-Starboard-Socks/75M
But you must remember to swap them over if you're coxing rather than rowing.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2779 on: 14 March, 2022, 02:53:06 pm »
I have a friend with those and he didn't even know which was port and which was starboard.  In a perfect example of the original Murphy's Law, he invariably wears them the wrong way around.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2780 on: 14 March, 2022, 06:59:37 pm »
The manufactures of hearing aids have helpfully decided to colour code left and right hearing aids with different colours. Red, is of course for right, and Blue for left.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #2781 on: 14 March, 2022, 07:11:12 pm »
Shirley, you swap them when rowing rather than coxing?

Or do the odd numbered rowers wear the green ones?
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2782 on: 14 March, 2022, 07:16:38 pm »
The manufactures of hearing aids have helpfully decided to colour code left and right hearing aids with different colours. Red, is of course for right, and Blue for left.

Red for right is standard for audio, but you'd normally expect left to be black or white.  I think barakta tells her hearing aids apart by some combination where she left them and the serial numbers, but she rarely uses two.  I don't think the current generation of BAHAs are chiral, other than the programming.

IIRC navigation lights (which are lights in the distance, and therefore too small to have colour) are the other way round.

Aren't standards great?

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #2783 on: 14 March, 2022, 07:19:42 pm »
Shirley, you swap them when rowing rather than coxing?

Or do the odd numbered rowers wear the green ones?
More rowers than coxes thobut.  So the rowers' way of wearing them (red on right foot) is therefore the de-facto standard.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2784 on: 14 March, 2022, 07:22:35 pm »
I think barakta tells her hearing aids apart by some combination where she left them and the serial numbers, but she rarely uses two.  I don't think the current generation of BAHAs are chiral, other than the programming.
<snip>

I put an L on the L one...

But then we switched the programming round cos the formerly-L one had a better dynamic range response, so it became R...

*waits for Kim to start screaming (or crying)*

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2785 on: 14 March, 2022, 07:24:48 pm »

Red for right is standard for audio, but you'd normally expect left to be black or white.  I think barakta tells her hearing aids apart by some combination where she left them and the serial numbers, but she rarely uses two.  I don't think the current generation of BAHAs are chiral, other than the programming.

IIRC navigation lights (which are lights in the distance, and therefore too small to have colour) are the other way round.

Aren't standards great?

Port is red,
Starboard is green
Taillight is white

POSH = port out, starboard home, morning sun in your cabin, cooler sleeping
Port is passed to the left
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2786 on: 14 March, 2022, 09:39:42 pm »
On entering a harbour or navigation from sea, the channel is marked with red to port (the left) and Green to starboard (the right). On return to sea it’s important to remember that the makers remain in the same place and so the red will be on the starboard side of the channel. Unless, of course, you are in the Americas (and a few other places) where they do it the other way around.

To simplify or confuse the issue dependent on your point of view, when viewed from sea, ALL port channel markers are cans (upright cylinders - nearly) and ALL starboard markers are conical, regardless of colour.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2787 on: 14 March, 2022, 09:47:26 pm »

Aren't standards great?
Which bits of the hearing aids is that? A hearing aid wearer I know has purple hearing aids – but I presume that's just outward decorative colouring and you're talking about some inner colouring not visible to the external observer.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2788 on: 14 March, 2022, 11:37:01 pm »
Yes, all the HA I’ve ever had there’s a bit of coloured plastic inside the battery compartment.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2789 on: 14 March, 2022, 11:40:40 pm »
What is it with hearing aid manufacturers and thinking that taking the batteries out is a reasonable substitute for an on/off switch?  I get that they're trying to make them small, but ....the batteries are also small.  And now they're on the floor somewhere.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2790 on: 14 March, 2022, 11:43:01 pm »
Mine are physically usable on either side cos they're not chiral (cheaper to make 1 model than 2 when many users are single aid users) and as far as I know have no physical indicator. The app will tell you which has been programmed for which ear cos that is flagged in software.

Must not rant about battery compartment for on/off.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2791 on: 15 March, 2022, 01:35:27 am »
Port wine is red, to match the colour of your face if you get it wrong within earshot of one or more nautical berks.

POSH standing for “Port Out Starboard Home” is an urban legend; it's most likely derived from a Romani word.  My erstwhile chum M. Smautf researched the etymology in great detail a few years ago but the results have subsequently been lost, forgotten or recycled as firelighters.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2792 on: 15 March, 2022, 05:45:46 am »
Yes, I should have written, allegedly, but it is a good memory aid
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #2793 on: 13 May, 2022, 05:50:41 pm »
I appear to have run out of garlic flavoured olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Last night I had to make my salad dressing using sherry vinegar and plain olive oil.
It was a tad sweet.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2794 on: 04 July, 2022, 08:11:06 pm »
Due to having to wait in for UPS to lie about having tried to deliver a parcel there was scarcely any milk left when I got to  Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles.

I had to pay through the nose for Organic semi-skilled >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #2795 on: 07 August, 2022, 08:04:29 am »
Something in the lawn mower went ping, to finish cutting the lawn I had to push it. Manually.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #2796 on: 14 August, 2022, 06:34:56 pm »
Champagne has a life to it.
The last two bottles garnered from my under-sofa stash have produced a damp squib rather than a pop on opening. While the first one was ok to imbibe, the second one made my favourite Aussie somewhat unwell.
I hadn't rotated the stock.
I have two bottles remaining to be poured down the sink.
I have also discovered that it should be stored upright in it's bottle rather than lying flat.
Merde.
Stored for somewhere between 10 and 15 years.

« Reply #2797 on: 24 August, 2022, 05:01:14 pm »
The last two bottles garnered from my under-sofa stash have produced a damp squib rather than a pop on opening. While the first one was ok to imbibe, the second one made my favourite Aussie somewhat unwell.
I have also discovered that it should be stored upright in it's bottle rather than lying flat.
Merde.
Eeeeek !

[Checks understairs wine rack.]
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #2798 on: 26 August, 2022, 10:29:58 am »
I knew there was something missing. Email this morning, delivery yesterday:

Our supplier has let us know there is a shortage with the Patel de Nata you ordered so unfortunately the driver won't be able to deliver any yesterday

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2799 on: 26 August, 2022, 11:26:55 am »
Merde.

Never did like the stuff. The bubbles get up your nose.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight