Author Topic: Llanfair.....400  (Read 29294 times)

Re: Llanfair.....400
« Reply #50 on: 23 May, 2014, 10:28:13 am »
Snorkles at the ready!

« Reply #51 on: 23 May, 2014, 11:27:23 am »
At least we are not going to have to take suncream, so we can lighten the luggage a little.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #52 on: 23 May, 2014, 11:32:55 am »
Anyone riding this, keep a look out for a guy with a quite long ginger/fair beard from Llanberis.

I stopped for bonk rations in Llanberis on the BCM at the weekend and was greeted with 'You're on the BCM aren't you' by this guy.  It seems he's a regular audaxer himself and said he was riding the Llanfair 400.  Tell him I said hallooo!  ;D
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #53 on: 23 May, 2014, 07:14:58 pm »

Snorkles at the ready!

According to the met office we have a tailwind all the way to Holyhead, and Sunday mid morning, if we're still riding back, we might find the wind had reversed to give us another tailwind...

So the snorkels had better point forward, or we'll drown.........
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #54 on: 25 May, 2014, 12:45:23 pm »
Well, the weather was mixed - but the wind predictions were close to correct  ;D

This was going to be my first calendar 400 - having done the Easter Arrow, with the excellent ACB team. I was a bit worried about lone night riding, as I'd never done this before; needlessly worried, as it turns out, as I was well looked after - thanks, Mike T.; you were excellent company and I couldn't have faced the return leg without your support; not to mention your tolerance of the Gaddi-shaped attachment to your wheel, for most of the 400km  :thumbsup:.

We set off as a big bunch, in dry conditions, with tail wind, so all was very well. It was good to meet Louise at the start, as well as the Chris' (x2), Mikes (x4), Andy, Steve... I'm afraid I've forgotten (or never knew) your YACF pseudonyms, but you know who you are. This year's offering of the ride had two optional hilly sections, and we (the little group consisting of Mike, Mike, Chris, and Steve) decided to ride them both - thanks to all the YACFlers who persuaded me to take to the hills; even in grey/rainy conditions these were well worth the effort for the scenery and (at times) views. A great route, which would probably be too nice to bear in good weather ;).

After the first hilly section, via the Halkyn Mountain, the rain started properly in Ros, after about 130 km - and didn't stop again until well after Bangor on the return leg (270km?). By the time we got the the turning point in Holyhead, I was a shivering wreck. MemSec did his best to get us fed and watered, but the conditions were just not conducive to enjoying a lengthy stay at the control. What saved the day was the Bull Hotel (or was it the Bell?), a pub 1 mile down the road, were many of us gathered for some food, drink and warmth. The staff were excellent - friendly, and very welcoming to this trickle of soggy cyclists coming through their doors - and the food wasn't bad either. We set off from the pub, still in the rain, but once that had stopped we were rewarded with a great sunset, a dry and not too cold night's riding and a glorious morning to finish. MemSec welcomed us back in Poynton with a hot drink, which was very welcome indeed. I'm still not sure how I'd fare on my own during the night, but am more confident now that I probably won't have to experience this either, as there always seem to be riders at my speed. Considering the rather small amount of climbing on this 400, and how slow I got on every little incline towards the end, I'm not so sure about the choice for my first 600, however: BlackSheep's June event. Still 4 weeks to think about this one though.

On re-reading the above, the weather seems to dominate my account somewhat: well, apart from an extremely great bunch of people, it was one of the main factors of this ride for me, and I'm too tired to think straight anyhow...

Thanks loads to MemSec and helper for looking after us so well, and for an excellent route.

caerau

« Reply #55 on: 25 May, 2014, 01:00:43 pm »
Well if the weather was anything like it was in south Wales yesterday - very well done indeed  :thumbsup:  - it was blooming miserable here.

I actively seek company on night legs now (although solitary was the order of the night last week on the BCM and I survived) - you are right this helps an awful lot - it can be a proper sufferthon if you go on a low ebb and you're alone.  In my opinion it's a good idea to keep in company if you can.

« Reply #56 on: 25 May, 2014, 01:13:33 pm »
Thanks Caerau. I don't think it was quite as miserable, weather wise, as down South, but still wet enough for this 400k virgin  :-[
Good company (and I haven't been to an audax yet, where the company wasn't such) certainly makes night riding a lot more pleasant, so will heed your advice and seek...

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #57 on: 25 May, 2014, 01:42:17 pm »
Congrats Irm. :)

Cycling heatmap

« Reply #58 on: 25 May, 2014, 02:37:52 pm »
If anyone on here left their gloves in Abergele McDs then PM me the details and your address and I will stick them in the post.  Hope you did not suffer without them.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #59 on: 25 May, 2014, 03:13:52 pm »
Oh yea, I had a minor catastrophe at Elton M56 services....

I'd locked the bike to a lamppost and on return I stuck the key in, and turned it, and held up the key stub with the actual important bit stuck in the lock. :(

Bought a clever multi tool but was not strong enough to cut through cable...

So I dialled 999 and....

Not really - I managed to grab a couple of nice motorway police who just happened to be passing.

They got it off, eventually, using the sharp end of a crowbar!!

Full marks to them!!

Maybe possibly also marks on the lamppost, I hear you say?? Nope I deny it completely, and I wasn't even there, miludd.....

:)

Cycling heatmap

caerau

« Reply #60 on: 25 May, 2014, 03:29:13 pm »
Hmm, does that count on during-audax assistance ;)

« Reply #61 on: 25 May, 2014, 03:33:05 pm »
Someone ought to start a "Police involvement in Audax" thread.

I'd be able to contribute a post or two...
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

caerau

« Reply #62 on: 25 May, 2014, 03:34:53 pm »
Me too - Mikey's assistance pales in comparison to me getting a lift back to the arrive on the Buckingham Blinder from them  ::-)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #63 on: 25 May, 2014, 04:03:54 pm »
I (and my bike) hitched a lift from a very nice Plod back to the finish of a Welsh 200 several years back. I hope he got the roadrash bloodstains out of the upholstery.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #64 on: 25 May, 2014, 04:17:20 pm »
Rain was biblical yesterday. Did both the hills, fab views descending the second. got stuck behind a car crash being towed away on the narrow road before Bangor. That kept me half an hour. It was dark on Anglesey at 7 pm because of the rain. Saw people on the return leg which was a little demoralising. MIst turn off for memsec so went all the way to the ferry terminal. Eventually found  him was worried I wouldn't get my stamp after going all that way. Black bull fantastic. stopped raining at 9 pm just as setting off on return leg managed to miss A5 turning  at a roundabout realised a mile and a half down the road when cycling through a village I didn't recognise. Met up with Amy and Louise who both had GARMINS at the end of Meni Bridge so navigation no longer an issue as they guided me back through the night. Abergeli McD's a welcome sight wanted to sleep, didn't want to leave. Forced myself to eat something. Dawn rising as we rode over the spectacular Dee asymmetric suspension bridge. Didn't really want anything to eat at Elton apart from Beans on toast, not on the menu. Nice ride back through mostly flat Cheshire and sunshine. Louise and Amy keeping me going and anybody else we picked up.

Fab route. Well written route sheet. Wonderful company. First 400 done. Numb private parts. Tired and ache; how do you then get back on a bike to ride another 200 KM to complete a 600? Ive entered in 3 coasts next month but today it seems impossible.

« Reply #65 on: 25 May, 2014, 04:29:00 pm »
Well my first 400k completed and I had a great time. Found it hard. I was feeling strong all the way to Colwyn Bay, left Forte's Restaurant and realised I had a puncture, unfortunately I couldn't find the cause and I should have sent longer looking as new tube punctured as well. Found the culprit this time, it took a while, tiny bit of glass. New tube and on my way but by this point the weather was very very wet, one stop to top up air in the tyre, I was hoping it wasn't another puncture and as it turns out it stayed up for the rest of the ride so I was happy. My memories of the way to Holyhead were all of the grim weather, getting to mem sec he tried to ply me with rice pudding but I was keen for proper food and returned to the pub I had passed with a number of bikes outside. Here I had the poshest meal I have ever had on the Audax and patched my tubes, thanks for the proper repair kit sorry I didn't get your name, as silly me only had park patches which in the damp won't stick.

Here I joined up with Louise for the night section and we were both so happy that the rain stopped as we left, I had treated myself to a new set of gloves! We soon were joined by Steve and the three of us had a very enjoyable ride through the night to Abergele, McDonalds being a very welcome sight. Leaving there was hard, all my layers on and feeling cold not that it took long to warm up. On this section I started to fall asleep on my bike, my eyes struggling to stay open and was a bit wandering on the road. Steve and Louise were lovely and stayed with me, I was eyeing up grass verges for a nap. I had perked up by Chester Services which seemed to have lots of tired cyclists sprawled all over it. Another feed and it felt good to have less than 60k to go. I was surprised one again to go through a sleepy phase and was glad when that passed.

We finished at 9:30am, my first 400k completed. I'm already thinking about a 600k need to work on the staying awake though.

« Reply #66 on: 25 May, 2014, 04:47:01 pm »
Hi Amy, forgot to ask if you used this site. Despite being tired you stayed in remarkable good spirits. I would have been very grumpy. Thanks again for your help getting me through North Wales and back to Cheshire. Felt bad that I left you with a punture but you seemed and are so capable. And as it turned out you were at the Blackbull before me!

« Reply #67 on: 25 May, 2014, 05:12:12 pm »
Dakkar it was fine, I can fix a puncture and no point two of us standing around in the rain!

I was enjoying the ride, in a way, just not fun falling asleep, might think about a nap next time.

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #68 on: 25 May, 2014, 05:50:42 pm »
how do you then get back on a bike to ride another 200 KM to complete a 600? Ive entered in 3 coasts next month but today it seems impossible.

I'm already thinking about a 600k need to work on the staying awake though.

Sleep.  Even 15 minutes can make a big difference.  I had a short nap at Abergele and Chester services - felt a lot better for it.  I'd aim for 2hrs sleep on a 600, somewhere between 300km & 400km depending on conditions.

Enjoyed the ride despite the weather, puncher, chain break, and our moving house induced lack of fitness.  I too failed to find the cause of our puncher so I just fitted our spare tyre.

« Reply #69 on: 25 May, 2014, 05:54:24 pm »
Yes did think you had  the right idea at McDonalds when I saw you napping.

« Reply #70 on: 25 May, 2014, 06:30:16 pm »
Definitely wet at times as other have said. My ride got off to an inauspicious start when a bike/dog/mud encounter ended badly for me and I acquired some road rash as a result. As is the way of these things there was of course an audience of around 30 to see it happen. ::-)
After that the tailwind helped before the weather deteriorated. The final few km across Anglesey were particularly tough. I gather MemSec's journey to see us at the control had been delayed as well, which had given him time to think up bad jokes about the game involving 'Rhyl Madrid'. Cheered me up as it lashed down and as usual thanks to MemSec for his welcome efforts with camp stoves, chairs and rice pudding.

The Black Bull was great and they were both helpful and quick after becoming an unofficial control. The view of the Menai Strait in the deepening sunset was very picturesque. The circuit of a floodlit Conwy Castle is inspiring and a definite highlight, along with the alien looking Queensferry Bridge.

Fortunately it dried out overnight and the rain held off for the rest of the ride and there were even glimmers of sunshine on the run in to Poynton where once again MemSec was waiting with the trusty camp stove and kettle.

« Reply #71 on: 25 May, 2014, 06:43:46 pm »
Yes really fancied a sleep at Abergeli,

I noticed your partner also nodding off at Mcdonals :thumbsup:

« Reply #72 on: 25 May, 2014, 09:08:00 pm »
It was a Tad wet. The pub was a good idea, we were the first riders to arrive and got a few funny looks from the locals watching the Rugby. The locals were great once they believed we had actually ridden from Stockport and were riding back. Several locals shook our hands and wished us luck as we left.
Made use of the Audax laundrette facilities in several establishments:- wring items in basin, dry / warm with hand dryer.
Thanks to Mike for manning the Holyhead control in challenging conditions and the brew at the finish. We were lucky the rain stooped before Conway at the the finish Mike reported several heavy downpours overnight with the roads looking very wet when we finished.

« Reply #73 on: 25 May, 2014, 09:44:36 pm »
Good ride reports, peeps :)
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #74 on: 26 May, 2014, 09:24:05 am »
Finally woken up after sleeping most of yesterday, harder than I had anticipated.  A few photos from the start to remember that it was dry at some point on Saturday