Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 285648 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!

The planets fucked.   

No the planet is fine, and will continue to be fine whatever we do.
What's fucked is the ecosystem that allows us and other life forms to exist on it.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

T42

• Apprentice geezer

The planets fucked.   

What's fucked is the ecosystem that allows us and other life forms to exist on it.

But synecdoche lives on.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....

The planets fucked.   

As a geologist, we've seen this before. Something disrupts the global ecosystem and the life forms adapt to cope - often by mass extinction.

Not sure how long man has left, but it ain't many millions I suspect.  Unlike the remarkably successful dinosaurs and a few molluscs.

The Earth will plough on quite nicely without us for a few more billion years.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Lovelock had it right in the Gaia Hypothesis, as an engineer it makes perfect sense
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

We've not had any proper rain (other than the odd brief shower) for ages, but I'm hoping the rain we're getting at the moment lasts long enough to give the grass a proper drink. Straw-coloured grass in Scotland is just...wrong. :-\

I'm considering giving up on mine, expecting herds of wildebeest to come trading majestically across the savannah that is my back garden. We just havent had enough rain over winter to green it up again, followed by another dry spring

We’re fortunate in that we don’t have a metered water supply, so I’ve had the sprinkler out weekly, plus we’re on clay which retains moisture quite well. Plus our lawn is less tha 50% grass! 
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

We've not had any proper rain (other than the odd brief shower) for ages, but I'm hoping the rain we're getting at the moment lasts long enough to give the grass a proper drink. Straw-coloured grass in Scotland is just...wrong. :-\

I'm considering giving up on mine, expecting herds of wildebeest to come trading majestically across the savannah that is my back garden. We just havent had enough rain over winter to green it up again, followed by another dry spring

We’re fortunate in that we don’t have a metered water supply, so I’ve had the sprinkler out weekly, plus we’re on clay which retains moisture quite well. Plus our lawn is less tha 50% grass!

No water meter here (water is a council tax add-on) but our grass is communal as it's a block of flats, and apparently the maintenance contract doesn't extend to watering, just cutting. At this point I'm seriously considering getting a cheap hosepipe and running it through my kitchen window! ;D

The raintoday.co.uk website has undergone a substantial revamp after many many years of statis, the rainfall radar is still available but harder to find, eg https://www.weatherpro.com/en/united-kingdom/england/london/radar - now shows historic observed and forecast. I suspect the name was bought, somewhere along the line.

Ridiculous weather up here.

Last year at this time I was sweltering in my office, had to have all windows open to cool things.

I'm sat here with a thick sweater on (OK, I've been ill, but still . . .).

Lit lounge fire last night because it was below 16C in house.

It was warmer in early April. We were swimming in sunshine.

Rain and wind are relentless.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Today was supposed to be sunny, so what’s with the rain on the porch windows when I was about to brave the roads of E17 and go shopping, eh?  EH???!?  Fortunately it held off while I was out but it’s git dark now.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
The raintoday.co.uk website has undergone a substantial revamp after many many years of statis, the rainfall radar is still available but harder to find, eg https://www.weatherpro.com/en/united-kingdom/england/london/radar - now shows historic observed and forecast. I suspect the name was bought, somewhere along the line.

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

I use the Home and Dry app on my phone.

It's been very gusty in Liverpool for most of the last week.   Cold & dull today.

Meanwhile the Netherlands has had a little tornado.  https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2022/06/zierikzee-tornado-leaves-millions-of-euros-of-damage-in-its-wake/

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
I can tell it’s officially summer now, coz the plumbing has started moaning when the bog cistern is refilling.

Also, I have to go to the post office and it’s raining.  Must be Wimbledon time.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I've just been out to do some weeding and I found myself being rained upon. I don't think that was forecast. It doesn't take a great deal to stop me doing some weeding.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
I just bought an anemometer off Fleabay, but only because the vendor wouldn’t ship it to Canada.

I just bought an anemometer off Fleabay, but only because the vendor wouldn’t ship it to Canada.

You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.....

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
But you do need a device for measuring wind speed to determine whether a run at Battle Mountain is legal - maximum permitted wind speed is 1.67 m/s.  Professor Admiral Sir Timelord Jun Nogami tells me the current one is dying on its arse but he spotted the exact same model being sold on the Bay of Thieves by some fellow in Doncaster.

Today, here in leafy Bucks, and no doubt elsewhere, it is beautiful.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Depends on whether you're  a) in a Victorian house designed to trap heat  or  b) winching a loaded touring bike up the shadeless hills of Bromsgrove.  It was a lovely morning before it heated up, though.

Beardy

• Shedist
It’s too damn hot.

That is all.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ian

I'd go work on the balcony, but as per local tradition for warm days, someone down the valley is paying someone to attack concrete blocks with industrial power tools.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
(Looks out of window)

No clouds.  No wind.  Uphill all the way back from Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles.  Only the prospect of having to pay Mr Khan £12.50 for the privet hedge is stopping me from using my nice air-conditioned motor-car for today’s shopping trip.  And the Perfectly Good Gentleman’s Mountain Bicycle needs its tyres pumping up too.  Deep joy.

Edit: collapses on sofa with the fan turned up to 11.

ian

Technically* off to Italy tomorrow, so out of the frying pan and into the fire applies.

*Fleet commander has the galloping covids, we're sealing her in a zorb ball for the tenure of the proceedings.

I'm currently enjoying the AC in the office.
At three o'clock I leave.
That's not going to be too much fun between here and the tube.
In other news, I have just bought a kepi.

ETA - I have a floppy cotton sun hat. Running this under the cold tap before leaving work helped massively to keeping me cool.

Bleugh.

Definitely a dog day afternoon.

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche