Author Topic: Marmalade  (Read 72555 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Marmalade
« Reply #250 on: 09 July, 2021, 09:43:56 pm »
I've never had a jar of marmalade go mouldy, whether the lid sealed or not.

We do have a policy of using/giving away the unsealed jars first.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #251 on: 04 December, 2021, 11:10:19 pm »
I am on the point of jarring up a batch of lovely marmalade. The oranges have been in the freezer for almost 2 years, I think.

Edit: and I think it's slightly on the runny side, although it hasn't finished cooling yet. I normally end up with between 11 & 12 jars, but today I've ended up with a little over 12. It could have done with a bit longer boiling. However, every pot has sucked down the lid's vacuum button, so it should be safe from living things that can't open lids eating it.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #252 on: 05 December, 2021, 10:14:51 am »
I tasted it again this morning. It's perfect! It has set well and there's no noticeable caramelisation of the sugar. It sparkles on your tongue!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #253 on: 15 January, 2022, 04:15:27 pm »
Several.of seville oranges converted into marmalade today, using my Dad's pressure cooker recipe. I might do another batch next week.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #254 on: 15 January, 2022, 04:26:02 pm »
The cauldron has been bubbling here for some days - I think Mrs robgul is up to about 25 jars of the new vintage so far - usual target is around 40/45 per annum.  More oranges are due from the veg box man next Tuesday.   I think we're down to the last 2 or 3 jars of the 2021 vintage.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #255 on: 15 January, 2022, 04:51:25 pm »
Thanks for the reminder that it's marmalade season - need to get myself down to the greengrocer's asap...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #256 on: 15 January, 2022, 05:10:28 pm »
I bought 3kg oranges with my last WR order. They were reduced on a "3 for 2" offer. That will cover me for a year I reckon, and we've got some left from previous years.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #257 on: 16 January, 2022, 12:12:13 am »
One batch here so far, we only have a big enough pan for 1kg at a time. We seem to have more left from last year than usual at this point, probably due to less being given away on account of not really seeing anyone to give a jat to.
Probably one more batch this week and that will do.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #258 on: 25 January, 2022, 10:42:05 pm »
Up there ^ I said I might do another batch.  Well that was untrue. I've done two further batches - the first at, the weekend, was with additional black treacle, while the second, made just now, has ginger and dark rum in it.

I can stop any time I want. Honest.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #259 on: 26 January, 2022, 12:30:12 am »
I did some a few years ago with muscovado sugar. We've still got a couple of pots left. I'm not that keen on it, but I seem to recall that Canardly OTP rather liked it.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #260 on: 02 March, 2022, 11:14:09 pm »
Another batch of marmalade tonight. It's in the jars, but is still scalding hot. I'm still waiting for the first "tink" as the vacuum lid gets sucked down.

I've jarred it rather early again. I've got almost 13 pots out of this batch, but I did start off with a little over 3lb oranges. It was beginning to wrinkle on the test plate, so theoretically it should be fine, but I'm normally a bit more cautious.

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #261 on: 14 March, 2022, 05:12:12 pm »
If you ever need a taster.....

I think this thread has inspired me to try the microwave version. Will report back

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #262 on: 14 March, 2022, 05:31:13 pm »
I think we now have 65 jars lurking in da cellar, plus 3 from last year, plus 3 plum jam left over. That'll do I rekon, till plum time cometh.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #263 on: 07 November, 2022, 07:38:57 am »
Another batch yesterday. That was a poignant moment because the brother whose recipe it was ain’t here any more.

« Reply #264 on: 18 January, 2023, 12:14:54 pm »
Mrs Pcolbeck is making marmalade. Its her first time so I am awaiting the results with baited breath.
We have made jam and chilli jam before but never marmalade. I bought proper jam pan this week and she has invested in a jam funnel and a new orange squeezer (after remembering this morning that I dropped and smashed the old one last year - oops).

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

robgul

« Reply #265 on: 18 January, 2023, 05:41:38 pm »
Mrs robgul has been making another batch of marmalade 🍊. . . under supervision!!!   Production here has reach 28 jars, so far.

The more astute (if you've seen Paddington2) will realise that the stripes on her top are white which must have been before the bear turned all the prison uniforms pink

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #266 on: 18 January, 2023, 09:07:42 pm »
A friend of mine likes making marmalade and gave me a jar of whiskey marmalade from a recent batch.  I hate to think how much of a bottle went into the saucepan, but just taking the lid off makes you light headed.  Good job I only cycle to work rather than drive!
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #267 on: 18 January, 2023, 09:11:18 pm »
I like marmalade (eventually) but wouldn't have a clue where to start making it.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

robgul

« Reply #268 on: 18 January, 2023, 09:45:51 pm »
I like marmalade (eventually) but wouldn't have a clue where to start making it.

Start with St Delia for a basic grounding in the process . . .  and then move on to Nigel Slater's recipe.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #269 on: 18 January, 2023, 11:35:54 pm »
We have never moved beyond Delia, but it seems to be ok for our purposes. Batch 1 completed on Monday, probably another next week. We had actually run out of the 2022 vintage and had to buy a jar 2 weeks ago

« Reply #270 on: 19 January, 2023, 11:21:26 am »
Mrs Pcolbeck is making marmalade. Its her first time so I am awaiting the results with baited breath.
We have made jam and chilli jam before but never marmalade. I bought proper jam pan this week and she has invested in a jam funnel and a new orange squeezer (after remembering this morning that I dropped and smashed the old one last year - oops).

Tried it on toast this morning. yum !
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #271 on: 20 January, 2023, 09:10:04 pm »
A friend of mine likes making marmalade and gave me a jar of whiskey marmalade from a recent batch.  I hate to think how much of a bottle went into the saucepan, but just taking the lid off makes you light headed.  Good job I only cycle to work rather than drive!

A little aclymahol goes a long way in marmalade. I have a bottle of naff tesco blended whisky wot was gived me, the sort which has a bag of oak chips (or oak flavour) waved around inside it. It is actually perfect in marmalade, and the single bottle will likely last 10 years or more, about (?) 50ml (so, a double) in a 1kg batch is very noticeable, it's the smell and the flavour that make the difference.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #272 on: 21 January, 2023, 07:44:13 am »
I’ve only ever added whisky to marmalade in the far after it has cooled.

Waitrose had Seville oranges on sale yesterday so I bought 3 kilos for the freezer. That will be good for two batches in the coming year.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #273 on: 21 January, 2023, 08:49:19 am »
Bought two kilos of Seville oranges yesterday.

However other tasks ahead this weekend include: building up my fixer, freshly back from the powder coater and looking after the Gorgeous Grandchildren for the first time. Descisions, descisions...

« Reply #274 on: 21 January, 2023, 09:08:43 am »
Looked for Seville oranges in Tesco on Thursday evening - no sign of them.  Mentioned this to my parents when I was round at their place yesterday afternoon.

Picked up 2kg from Waitrose yesterday evening along with sugar, lemons etc.

First thing this morning I noticed that I received a message from my mother at 22:30 telling me that she had added 3kg of Seville oranges to her Sainsburys delivery due later today  ::-)

I predict a lot of peeling, slicing and boiling in my future.