Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 520677 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #5250 on: 21 June, 2022, 10:20:08 pm »
Well done, good effort.

Interested in your spotwalla setup. What capacity battery pack did you use to power your iPhone running the tracking app (and to also power your Wahoo)?
Great - I'll dig it out soon and let you know.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #5251 on: 29 June, 2022, 06:32:51 pm »
From our Suffolk neighbours:

Fancy riding some different roads, but not too far from home? There are CCS audax rides from Bildeston Sportsfield coming up on Saturday 23 July; four distances available, so one must suit you! GPX routes available for all rides. Refreshments available at start and finish, café stops en route.
The rides are open to all, entry via the AudaxUK website at https://www.audax.uk/choose-a-ride/calendar-events/ (website requires registration to enter, but no payment other than for the ride).

Suffolk Lanes Extravaganza, 209k; 8.30am
This route heads north from Bildeston to Walsham le Willows, then east through Eye to Halesworth, before turning south-east past Snape and on to the coast at Orford. The return route is via Wickham Market, Framlingham, Debenham and Needham Market. The route mainly uses country lanes with short stretches of minor A and B-road.
‘100 Miles of Suffolk Lanes’, 168k; 8.45am
This route heads north from Bildeston to near Walsham le Willows, then east to Framlingham (castle), and on to the coast at Orford (castle), returning via Wickham Market, Debenham, and Needham Market. The route mainly uses country lanes with short stretches of minor A and B-road.
‘Bildeston Lanes’ 103k; 9.30am
The route is broadly circular, starting south-east from Bildeston to Flowton, then north to Needham Market, Stowupland, continuing north to Cotton. The route then returns south to Buxhall, before zig-zagging back to Bildeston. There are few hills (a short, sharp one to warm you up after 2k!) on the route, which mainly uses country lanes with short stretches of minor A and B-road.
‘Jane’s Lanes’ 50k; 10.00am
This route heads south-east to Elmsett, then north to a control near Granary Crafts (café with museum!) at Buxhall, returning via Rattlesden and Thorpe Morieux. Quiet roads and attractive villages.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #5252 on: 29 June, 2022, 10:00:50 pm »
Hoping to do the 100 miles event. Getting there is the main challenge at present :)

« Reply #5253 on: 30 June, 2022, 07:39:58 am »
Hoping to do the 100 miles event. Getting there is the main challenge at present :)

Bernster and I are planning to ride the 100 miler, ECEing from home.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #5254 on: 30 June, 2022, 08:13:27 pm »
I will be riding the 50km with the Big Saxon for an introductory return, if his recovery is on course.

Then back to helpers duties at the finish for the returning riders - whereby all riders will be well looked after and fed for their journey home. Aiming to set the standards.

CCS - Setting the Standards

« Reply #5255 on: 30 June, 2022, 11:51:44 pm »

Hmmm…. Beetles off to check diary, potential routes and timings…. It’s about time I looked at stepping up to a 300km and the 100 miler looks near perfect in that regard.

« Reply #5256 on: 01 July, 2022, 11:01:29 pm »
Well done, good effort.

Interested in your spotwalla setup. What capacity battery pack did you use to power your iPhone running the tracking app (and to also power your Wahoo)?
Great - I'll dig it out soon and let you know.

Sorry for the delay! I bought the powerbank from Maplin, model no. N27EE, 3.6V 20,000mAh/72Wh. The text on the end of it says: Output 1: D.C. 5V+1A; Output 2: D.C. 5V+1A (there are two USB out ports), but the ports themselves are labelled: 1A and 2.1A.

Anyway, that's what I used and I don't recall which gizmo was plugged into which port but it worked. I had 2 of the available 4 "Power remaining" lights on when I got home. Once plugged in to charge, one light was steady, meaning there was probably just over 25% charge left in it.

Anything else you need then please let me know.

« Reply #5257 on: 03 July, 2022, 08:23:33 pm »
In other news, I think I might enter PBP next year.

This season, I have done:
  • 12th Feb: Knights Templar Compasses, 100km
  • 05th Mar: The Horsepower 200, 200km
  • 15th Apr: Easter Arrow, 400km
  • 17th Jun: Flatlands Reversed, 600km
So, I just need a 300km and I'm in, no? Any suggestions? A DIY, maybe? A&S?

You all knew this was going to happen. :thumbsup:

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #5258 on: 03 July, 2022, 08:29:59 pm »
In other news, I think I might enter PBP next year.

This season, I have done:
  • 12th Feb: Knights Templar Compasses, 100km
  • 05th Mar: The Horsepower 200, 200km
  • 15th Apr: Easter Arrow, 400km
  • 17th Jun: Flatlands Reversed, 600km
So, I just need a 300km and I'm in, no? Any suggestions? A DIY, maybe? A&S?

You all knew this was going to happen. :thumbsup:
Nope, this year is for your longest pre-qualifier, you need a BRM SR next season before the quite early window closures for each distance to qualify for PBP.
Of the rides in your list only the Horsepower and Flatlands are BRM. DIY’s & perms are not BRM, and not all calendar rides are BRM - be careful which rides you enter if you need them in your PBP qualifying SR.

« Reply #5259 on: 03 July, 2022, 08:58:28 pm »
Ah, right - thanks for that.

So where can I find this info and the deadlines for each distance?

Thanks.

« Reply #5260 on: 03 July, 2022, 10:12:12 pm »

Thanks.

Not published for 23, but see

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=107046.0

« Reply #5261 on: 04 July, 2022, 06:57:55 am »

Many out on a Wednesday night MEMWNS have ridden previously, so just ask if you have any specific questions.

If the arrangements stay the same, your longest ride this year will dictate how early you can enter PBP in January, and choose your starting time. 600km would be fine. A few of us rode a 1000km last time in the preceding year.

There will be a lot of BRM rides put on in the spring to help riders secure the necessary SR for PBP. The most popular events will sell out, so it is worth entering early if you can. Just make sure they are BRM rides that you are entering, and within the date limits that the PBP organisers will publish.

There is also the pubinar that Tomsk has arranged in October.

« Reply #5262 on: 04 July, 2022, 07:55:33 pm »

Thanks.

Not published for 23, but see

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=107046.0

Many thanks :thumbsup:

« Reply #5263 on: 04 July, 2022, 08:00:28 pm »

Many out on a Wednesday night MEMWNS have ridden previously, so just ask if you have any specific questions.

If the arrangements stay the same, your longest ride this year will dictate how early you can enter PBP in January, and choose your starting time. 600km would be fine. A few of us rode a 1000km last time in the preceding year.

There will be a lot of BRM rides put on in the spring to help riders secure the necessary SR for PBP. The most popular events will sell out, so it is worth entering early if you can. Just make sure they are BRM rides that you are entering, and within the date limits that the PBP organisers will publish.

Great, thanks - between the last few posts from you all, I get it now.

So, the season before you ride as far as you can to get to enter as early as possible (600 for me). The season that PBP is in, you ride your SR, consisting of 200, 300. 400 and a 600km BRM rides. Good. What is this pubinar that Tomsk is arranging - any details anywhere?

Thank you for your help and guidance!

« Reply #5264 on: 04 July, 2022, 09:23:51 pm »

« Reply #5266 on: 04 July, 2022, 09:45:36 pm »

Hmmm…. Beetles off to check diary, potential routes and timings…. It’s about time I looked at stepping up to a 300km and the 100 miler looks near perfect in that regard.

Entered the 100k with the intention of ECE-ing to 300km as the timings work a bit better for me that way.  It will mean a long post event leg of the ECE though which goes against all good advice received from others otp but it’s the only way I can make the day work.

« Reply #5267 on: 04 July, 2022, 10:07:57 pm »

So, the season before you ride as far as you can to get to enter as early as possible (600 for me). The season that PBP is in, you ride your SR, consisting of 200, 300. 400 and a 600km BRM rides. Good. What is this pubinar that Tomsk is arranging - any details anywhere?

You got it.

When you get your fenland friends 600 brevet card back , under the validation sticker will be an ACP sticker.  It has a brevet number on that unique to you. The number will also appear in your online results. That’s the number you’ll enter on the PBP website when entries open next year, for those with a 600km BRM  pre qualifier (this year).

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #5268 on: 05 July, 2022, 09:05:00 am »
Entered the 100k with the intention of ECE-ing to 300km as the timings work a bit better for me that way.  It will mean a long post event leg of the ECE though which goes against all good advice received from others otp but it’s the only way I can make the day work.

It's an awkward ECE for me as well, meeting up with Psyclist at Takeley will give me an overall distance of about 375k from home, which almost makes it worthwhile making it up to 400k and getting the extra point. I think in reality I might use either a train or a car assist and aim for closer to 300k, although it depends if I'm required to do any real life stuff the following day.

« Reply #5269 on: 05 July, 2022, 01:04:10 pm »

You got it.

When you get your fenland friends 600 brevet card back , under the validation sticker will be an ACP sticker.  It has a brevet number on that unique to you. The number will also appear in your online results. That’s the number you’ll enter on the PBP website when entries open next year, for those with a 600km BRM  pre qualifier (this year).

Nice one and thank you for that :thumbsup:

« Reply #5270 on: 05 July, 2022, 10:29:03 pm »
Just perusing the book of face and this popped up on my feed:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/audaxuk/permalink/10161871480068642/

I see one familiar face and two familiar bikes!

« Reply #5271 on: 14 July, 2022, 03:13:51 pm »
Greater Anglia train drivers, and those from many other firms, are going on strike on 30th July ... Essex R&R day. Shortly after start of Commonwealth Games too. Disrupting sport of all types.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5272 on: 14 July, 2022, 03:28:49 pm »
Greater Anglia train drivers, and those from many other firms, are going on strike on 30th July ... Essex R&R day. Shortly after start of Commonwealth Games too. Disrupting sport of all types.

You can picture the scene at ASLEF HQ...

"Right comrades, we obviously want our forthcoming strike to cause maximum disruption so let's strike just after the Commonwealth Games starts, that should cause a good amount of chaos.  However if we really want to bring the country to it's knees let's completely knacker huggy's Essex R&R audax!"  ;D

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #5273 on: 14 July, 2022, 04:05:42 pm »

You can picture the scene at ASLEF HQ...

"Right comrades, we obviously want our forthcoming strike to cause maximum disruption so let's strike just after the Commonwealth Games starts, that should cause a good amount of chaos.  However if we really want to bring the country to it's knees let's completely knacker huggy's Essex R&R audax!"  ;D
They are invariably vindictive to my events, could have predicted they would strike on the 30th. As it’s a weekend it’ll probably go ahead too with no businesses whinging about workers not getting to the office who can work remotely anyway and cause maximum disruption to leisure plans to put it firmly in the minds of the public.
Bastards!!
Everyone will just have to be more like pysclist and ECE the R&R 😏

« Reply #5274 on: 14 July, 2022, 05:38:52 pm »
Maybe they are striking so they can ride your R&R?