Author Topic: PBP pace planning  (Read 15911 times)

simonp

Re: PBP pace planning
« Reply #75 on: 25 March, 2019, 02:58:36 pm »
I should probably look into how one goes about writing IQ apps.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #76 on: 25 March, 2019, 06:28:05 pm »
Will the control closing times be published before the event? Or will the brevet card be the first sight?

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #77 on: 25 March, 2019, 08:31:37 pm »
Will the control closing times be published before the event? Or will the brevet card be the first sight?

You'll receive them in a PDF later on during the registration procedure.

« Reply #78 on: 26 March, 2019, 11:32:08 pm »

I don't see much mention here of just how badly the evening start puts you on the back foot.  I experienced this on my 3rd PBP with an 8pm start - having previously started at 10am both times - that evening start and consequent sleepiness turned PBP into a "never again" experience for me.

Not having done it before, that's one of my primary concerns.  I've ridden round the clock before having started fresh im the morning but that strikes me as a very different proposition to having been up all day and thenriding for 30+ hours before sleeping. 

To which the solution is don’t get up and mooch around all day burning up energy. Get up,have breakfast then back to bed. Get up for a light lunch and then rest again. It’s not being awake per se , it’s all the other stuff such as chatting with mates etc. Decide what you will wear and take on Saturday, fine tune on Sunday. It takes a bit of discipline and may not work for everyone but it works for me.

« Reply #79 on: 27 March, 2019, 10:09:16 am »

I don't see much mention here of just how badly the evening start puts you on the back foot.  I experienced this on my 3rd PBP with an 8pm start - having previously started at 10am both times - that evening start and consequent sleepiness turned PBP into a "never again" experience for me.

Not having done it before, that's one of my primary concerns.  I've ridden round the clock before having started fresh im the morning but that strikes me as a very different proposition to having been up all day and thenriding for 30+ hours before sleeping. 

To which the solution is don’t get up and mooch around all day burning up energy. Get up,have breakfast then back to bed. Get up for a light lunch and then rest again. It’s not being awake per se , it’s all the other stuff such as chatting with mates etc. Decide what you will wear and take on Saturday, fine tune on Sunday. It takes a bit of discipline and may not work for everyone but it works for me.

The worst way to start is to get utterly rat-arsed the night before, then crawl out of bed at stupid o'clock to start the 84hr with a horrible hang-over.   But it's all survivable if you pace yourself, the the hang-over had gone by the afternoon.

SPB

« Reply #80 on: 27 March, 2019, 02:56:10 pm »

I would agree, were it not for hotel check-out times.  FWIW, I'm still planning to lie under a tree at the Bergerie during the afternoon, but I know that won't make it the same as a morning start. 

SPB

« Reply #81 on: 27 March, 2019, 03:02:06 pm »
The worst way to start is to get utterly rat-arsed the night before, then crawl out of bed at stupid o'clock to start the 84hr with a horrible hang-over.   But it's all survivable if you pace yourself, the the hang-over had gone by the afternoon.

I did consider the 84H for a morning start.  But the distance from the nearest hotel with availability to Rambouillet was such that I thought I might have to get up before I went to bed, assuming a need to get to the Bergerie an hour or so before departure time.

I'll have a much better idea what to do in 2023!

« Reply #82 on: 28 March, 2019, 11:39:15 am »

I would agree, were it not for hotel check-out times.

Pay for an extra night. What price your comfort?
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

SPB

« Reply #83 on: 28 March, 2019, 12:39:42 pm »
Pay for an extra night. What price your comfort?

"Qu'ils mangent de la brioche"?

The one night is already expensive enough.  I spent less on sleeping during the whole of Tour Aotearoa last year than two nights' hotel before PBP would cost!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #84 on: 28 March, 2019, 01:23:59 pm »
Meh, I'm happy with my choices.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #85 on: 01 April, 2019, 07:30:16 pm »
Try Acme event 300 Green and Yellow fields - start at midnight Friday night and then rides through into the next day. Good training for day/night/day as usually you've had a big day at work first! I will certainly be checking out of hotel as late (noon) then mooching as much as possible through the afternoon. Realistically won't be sleeping a lot night before anyway as I will be too wound up thinking 'WTF am I doing this for again?'