Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1575833 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #775 on: 29 September, 2011, 05:40:24 pm »
"Sam" & (can't remember false name the lying git gave) from "PCN department":

Whatever crap you're peddling, or scam you're trying to work, do you really think that phoning me two days in succession will help you achieve your nefarious aims? Especially after "Sam's" little gaffe yesterday. Speaking of which, I think you're in the wrong job, mate. Getting het up when your intended victim asks you what "PCN department" is, & demanding to know why I was questioning you, is not a course of action likely to get me to co-operate. Nor is telling me to bugger off.

At least your colleague had the wit to give up when I informed him that you'd rung me & said that to me, & that I'd like him & the rest of the scamweasels to do the same.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #776 on: 29 September, 2011, 06:00:09 pm »
fleaBay - why on earth are you telling me that I have four active items with questions from potential buyers when, at last count, I had a grand total of two active listings?

Please to be taking your developers and DBAs out behind the bins and giving them a good going-over with the Clue-By-Fourtm

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #777 on: 30 September, 2011, 07:47:27 pm »
Driver of Porsche Carrera MX something something RRY, you drive like a fud. Porschewanker.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #778 on: 30 September, 2011, 10:07:28 pm »
When I put the washing in today I checked thoroughly that my phone wasn't in my jersey pocket. Shame it was hiding in my shorts instead :facepalm:

The phone went into the washer turned on and when I fished it out the battery was discharging through the camera flash. I've got it drying on the radiator but I think it's a lost cause :(
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #779 on: 30 September, 2011, 10:41:28 pm »
The essence of comedy may very well be all in the timing, but I fail to see the funny side of having mild lurgi that kicks off on a Friday...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #780 on: 30 September, 2011, 10:58:26 pm »
Carp fettle-fail tonight on the Sabbath. My SRAM right shifter is f***d and replacing the cable has sadly not resurrected it from teh dead. What a fine time to b0rk when I am riding 200k tomorrow. At least I have a spare bike even if it is a bit heavy!

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #781 on: 01 October, 2011, 11:53:33 am »
Our invaluable house alerting system for the deaf geeky barakta which was built by Kim in 2003-4 in a hacky prototyping kind of way for about £150 when we were poor is going increasingly senile. 

It decided to crash last night when Kim wasn't here to batter it back into working order and I hope it didn't keep Red of this parish awake with any bleeping (I dunno if it was bleepy or not). 

I think I've *finally* managed to uncrash it after lots of unplugging/replugging/poking things but I'll believe that when Kim is home from all night cycling and has checked it out.

I don't have access to its logs or main interface and tbh it's so arcane I'd never remember how it works even if I was to learn.  In fact I'm not even sure Kim remembers so I fully expect "Well who coded this piece of shit then?" "Oh shit, that was me, it has to be!" type remarks along with crankiness from no sleep later!

I need to make Kim Actually Rebuild v3 this winter and stop avoiding the issue like she has for the last 3 years... I'm not a cycling SWMBO but....

[1] This is what links doorbell, phone ringing, alarm clock going off, heating control, temperature sensors, reminders and alerts and interface to one another with a vibrating pillow pad, strobes and pop up on computer alerts. 

Basic commercial systems cost £500+ and are basically shit, so we're Kim is definitely rebuilding our own!

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #782 on: 01 October, 2011, 12:10:37 pm »
Dear $LARGE_CONSULTANCY_KNOWN_FOR_PISSING_TAXPAYERS_MONEY_DOWN_THE_DRAIN,

Whilst I am perfectly happy to supply a character reference for someone you've offered a job to, no matter how you try to spin it 'onboard' is not a fucking verb. If you mean 'recruitment' then say so - 'onboarding' not only sounds like the worse sort of corporate bullshit-ese imaginable, but it also sounds like a novel new method of torture. 

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #783 on: 01 October, 2011, 01:59:17 pm »
When I put the washing in today I checked thoroughly that my phone wasn't in my jersey pocket. Shame it was hiding in my shorts instead :facepalm:

The phone went into the washer turned on and when I fished it out the battery was discharging through the camera flash. I've got it drying on the radiator but I think it's a lost cause :(

Yep, it's dead :(

£70 for a 2nd hand replacement winging it's way to me by Wednesday - a very expensive way to get the spare phone battery i was going to order for touring. At least I now know my old NEC clamshell brick still works.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #784 on: 01 October, 2011, 07:34:40 pm »
Carp fettle-fail tonight on the Sabbath. My SRAM right shifter is f***d and replacing the cable has sadly not resurrected it from teh dead. What a fine time to b0rk when I am riding 200k tomorrow. At least I have a spare bike even if it is a bit heavy!

I recommend that next time you leave the carp in the pond.  One assumes they're not much use when it comes to fettling. ;)

At least the heavier bike may help you get full value for money.  Have a good ride!
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #785 on: 01 October, 2011, 09:20:11 pm »
Hi, tried to buy gas in B & Q today. They asked me if I was 21. Of course  not I said. As a 61 year old I felt the sudden urge to let rip into this jobsworth character! ...but I didn't...

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #786 on: 01 October, 2011, 09:33:45 pm »
Damn. Chainsaw is dead. I have swapped ignition bits and it now refuses to work (rather than run for a few minutes, enough to make you think it is happy, and then go on strike).

Time to get something that isn't an antique and will last a reasonabe length of time.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #787 on: 01 October, 2011, 09:58:29 pm »
Hi, tried to buy gas in B & Q today. They asked me if I was 21. Of course  not I said. As a 61 year old I felt the sudden urge to let rip into this jobsworth character! ...but I didn't...

The nivea is working keep with it........ ::-)
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #788 on: 01 October, 2011, 10:07:18 pm »
I've got the hiccups. They're quite annoying.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #789 on: 01 October, 2011, 10:16:40 pm »
I've got the hiccups. They're quite annoying.

BOO! :)

« Reply #790 on: 02 October, 2011, 05:09:03 pm »
Mate on our cycling trip: You borrowed my bike in August on our last rides out & I gently warned you then that your habit of jumping several gears at low speed when under high load wasn't doing my venerable chain any good at all. So what did you do yesterday as soon as we hit a big hill? That's right; jump 3 gears at once just as you're pedalling hard. What did my chain do? That's right, it snapped. So, we're four miles into a ride that would have taken us along the route of a beer festival, but all seven of us had to turn back. Ho hum.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #791 on: 02 October, 2011, 07:46:45 pm »
No1Son, well done for learning how to work the washing machine.
Now start washing other peoples' clothes too, eh?

This is one of my pet grumbles too!  (I know I'm slow to comment but I'm still away from home and only now catching up)
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #792 on: 02 October, 2011, 07:48:33 pm »
Our invaluable house alerting system for the deaf geeky barakta which was built by Kim in 2003-4 in a hacky prototyping kind of way for about £150 when we were poor is going increasingly senile. 

It decided to crash last night when Kim wasn't here to batter it back into working order and I hope it didn't keep Red of this parish awake with any bleeping (I dunno if it was bleepy or not). 

I think I've *finally* managed to uncrash it after lots of unplugging/replugging/poking things but I'll believe that when Kim is home from all night cycling and has checked it out.

I don't have access to its logs or main interface and tbh it's so arcane I'd never remember how it works even if I was to learn.  In fact I'm not even sure Kim remembers so I fully expect "Well who coded this piece of shit then?" "Oh shit, that was me, it has to be!" type remarks along with crankiness from no sleep later!

I need to make Kim Actually Rebuild v3 this winter and stop avoiding the issue like she has for the last 3 years... I'm not a cycling SWMBO but....

[1] This is what links doorbell, phone ringing, alarm clock going off, heating control, temperature sensors, reminders and alerts and interface to one another with a vibrating pillow pad, strobes and pop up on computer alerts. 

Basic commercial systems cost £500+ and are basically shit, so we're Kim is definitely rebuilding our own!
Will Deaf Action or social work fund a new system?

barakta

« Reply #793 on: 02 October, 2011, 09:58:33 pm »
Will Deaf Action or social work fund a new system?

It's not so much the funding which is an issue, I'm reasonably well paid (if pisstakingly less than I'm worth obviously) these days so can afford a few hundred quid for bits over X years.  The last one has lasted 8 years so far.  The limiting factor is Kim needs to sit down and redesign from scratch which she's been half doing for about 3 years and needs to not-half do.  I blame all the cycling  ;)

As for social services I know I'm not a priority (and arguably shouldn't be), not least because when made to register with them to get local disabled bus passes etc that no services has EVER got back to me (Stockport, Newham, Birmingham and I think Sheffield).  I even filled in an extra form by choice here in Brum to see if they'd work better partly as an experiment for my deaf students.  No response.

Pretty poor really and also makes me cross cos I resented having to "tell them I exist" so they get me on their stats but do absolutely fuck all for me at the first step.  If the first step is that bad, I'm privileged enough not to need them enough and I'll pay not to have to do any of the others.  I have enough trouble keeping up with "extra disability paperwork" from HMRC, NHS, GP, audiology, etc

And the useful outcome of my experiment does mean I know better than to say to my students (or advise colleagues to tell their students) "Oh just register with social services for deaf alert stuff" for non uni accommodation because in my personal and professional opinion it's not worth it unless the student has unusual pestering powers and absolutely cannot afford stuff themselves.  Does remind me I ought to find out if local fire service do fire alarms for deaf for free/cheap cos that would be the only issue really, safety.  Most deaf students will do what I always did, rely on housemates and SMS when your friends arrive unless you happen to have all the gizmos already which I didn't till I moved in with Kim.   

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #794 on: 02 October, 2011, 10:16:21 pm »
Deaf Action or the housing department might be able to help with some stuff - everywhere structures it differently though, so it's hard to know.

barakta

« Reply #795 on: 03 October, 2011, 12:32:37 am »
Deaf Action or the housing department might be able to help with some stuff - everywhere structures it differently though, so it's hard to know.

Weirdly, I've never really heard of Deaf Action but then having looked into it, it seems to be specifically Scotland.  Our local deaf charity BIDS might be worth talking to as might Deaf Plus who do send us their stuff quite a lot. 

I also meant to modify my post above to say it isn't specific social workers I have an issue with, it's the system in general which means in lots of services not just social services it is only the really neediest people who get anything at all and lots of people just end up bumbling along not knowing much at all.  I would resent that less if I didn't get told "well to get X, you have to register with Y" when Y doesn't have the capacity to support people. 

It's just yet another brick in the disability effort wall most of which belongs in the Rant Thread!

essexian

« Reply #796 on: 03 October, 2011, 07:28:43 am »
Not sure if this grumble should be addressed to my wife who insists that I wear a helmet when cycling in case I am hit by a lorry (I kid you not), or the designers of cycle helmets who design them with slats wide enough for wasps to get into them, or the wasp which got into my helmet, couldn't find a way out so promptly stung me.

Or I suppose I could rant at myself for not being able to remove a helmet while cycling uphill before the wasp could attack.

Who ever is to blame, please stop it as it hurt so much that I had to cut the ride short and head home. I still have the bump on my head 20 hours later!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #797 on: 03 October, 2011, 08:08:39 am »

Weirdly, I've never really heard of Deaf Action but then having looked into it, it seems to be specifically Scotland.  Our local deaf charity BIDS might be worth talking to as might Deaf Plus who do send us their stuff quite a lot. 
Oh, they used to be RNID or the Deaf Society or something. I had assumed they were UK-wide.

Not sure if this grumble should be addressed to my wife who insists that I wear a helmet when cycling
Do what I used to do when my mum would make me wear an itchy hat to school in winter - wait till you're round the corner, and take it off.

barakta

« Reply #798 on: 03 October, 2011, 08:23:38 am »
Oh, they used to be RNID or the Deaf Society or something. I had assumed they were UK-wide.

RNId have become "Action on Deafness" or in my universe "What?".

There is also a 'Deaf Action' charity in Scotland which is not the RNId.

Deaf society is probably National Deaf Children's Society (NDCS) who were good to my parents when I was young and seem to be continuing.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #799 on: 03 October, 2011, 08:24:12 am »
Washing machine motor.  Why oh why oh why did you have to catch fire on Saturday morning? :(

Do you think I'm made of money? (Replacement motor HOW MUCH :o)
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius