Author Topic: [HAMR] Current thoughts on the record attempt?  (Read 253792 times)

hillbilly

Re: Current thoughts on the record attempt?
« Reply #500 on: 08 December, 2015, 05:51:11 pm »

I'm more a pint half empty kind of guy.

« Reply #501 on: 08 December, 2015, 06:29:34 pm »
I'm pleased to see that the mileage graph seems to show a point of inflection a few days back, that is, downward trend is now slowing. Hopefully this means that it won't be too long before Steve will be averaging enough miles a day to begin catching up some of the lost ground.

ie it's getting worse more slowly - the comfort of derivatives!

« Reply #502 on: 09 December, 2015, 12:53:28 am »

ie it's getting worse more slowly - the comfort of derivatives!
[/quote]

Yes  :facepalm:

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #503 on: 09 December, 2015, 07:23:43 am »
Yesterday 130km  :(
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

hillbilly

« Reply #504 on: 09 December, 2015, 11:41:10 am »
At the moment Steve gives the impression of someone drowning not waving.

If I was in the same situation, I'd find riding alone a very lonely place given the way things have turned out since the last fortnight of November.  My inner voice would be getting right on my tits.

Hopefully his support team and his close network are giving him an opportunity to discuss all options and providing a sounding board. 

« Reply #505 on: 09 December, 2015, 07:44:26 pm »
Is it worse to run into a moped or a sports dietitian?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #506 on: 09 December, 2015, 07:58:15 pm »
At the moment Steve gives the impression of someone drowning not waving.

If I was in the same situation, I'd find riding alone a very lonely place given the way things have turned out since the last fortnight of November.  My inner voice would be getting right on my tits.

Hopefully his support team and his close network are giving him an opportunity to discuss all options and providing a sounding board.
To be fair, his last few social media posts [that I've seen] have been really upbeat. even when he only rides 140ish miles!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #507 on: 09 December, 2015, 09:46:38 pm »
So were Miles' statements.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #508 on: 10 December, 2015, 10:38:24 am »
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #509 on: 10 December, 2015, 11:28:02 am »
A couple of policemen stop Steve for a chat about the dangers of dual-carriageways and cyclists.
What’s wrong with that?

Start moaning when the police show they are not concerned about the safety of cyclists.

All those cyclists who have never been approached by a policeman advising a ‘safer’ route, clearly haven’t the same mettle as Steve Abrams.

( A46 Warwick by-pass en route between Stratford on Avon and Measham during a 300km Midmesh )

LMT

« Reply #510 on: 10 December, 2015, 12:01:36 pm »
A couple of policemen stop Steve for a chat about the dangers of dual-carriageways and cyclists.
What’s wrong with that?

Start moaning when the police show they are not concerned about the safety of cyclists.

All those cyclists who have never been approached by a policeman advising a ‘safer’ route, clearly haven’t the same mettle as Steve Abrams.

( A46 Warwick by-pass en route between Stratford on Avon and Measham during a 300km Midmesh )

I'm well aware of the potential dangers of riding a bike on a dual carriageway and make the decision to ride on said road after taking this into account. I don't need a copper telling me what for. Unless they want to throw their keys away as I do believe they are more likely to have a crash and kill or seriously injure someone than me.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #511 on: 10 December, 2015, 12:14:00 pm »
What’s wrong with that?

Other than it being a waste of everybody's time?

How about that it's indicative that the police don't know the law.

That said, I'm surprised that it hasn't happened before, given the mileage Steve has clocked up.

« Reply #512 on: 10 December, 2015, 12:15:30 pm »

I'm well aware of the potential dangers of riding a bike on a dual carriageway and make the decision to ride on said road after taking this into account. I don't need a copper telling me what for.

Just because you are doesn't mean everyone is. The number of cyclists (ok, to "us", they're people on BSO's, but to the rest of the world, their cyclists) riding around morning and evening with no or ineffective lights at the moment is disgraceful. Oh they all wear hi-vis, but often car lights don't get that high to make the reflectives stand out,a nd often they're cheap and filthy. Only this morning I only just saw one such as he shot across my bows at a roundabout, and then only due to the wheel reflectors he had. His hi-vis was useless.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #513 on: 10 December, 2015, 12:17:16 pm »
What’s wrong with that?

How about that it's indicative that the police don't know the law.

They didn't arrest him, or caution him. They knew the law. He was on a horrid bit of road with plenty of alternatives that might be considered safer. Perhaps they were trying to be helpful?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #514 on: 10 December, 2015, 12:20:59 pm »
The reason why policemen stop and talk to cyclists on fast dual carriageways is because if they didn’t, after observing the cyclist and the cyclist is killed, the policeman would be held negligent of doing his duty.
The incident will be recorded in the officer's report. "The cyclist was advised against riding on the A47".

Is it every policeman’s duty to protect the citizen? Or at least advise on ‘safer’ routes for cyclists. Does the ‘To protect and to serve’ motto apply in the UK?

In a similar manner, an AUK Organiser will advise the riders not to use the A47 dual carriageway. Some newbie Auks will think “I don’t need an AUK Org telling me what for.” 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #515 on: 10 December, 2015, 12:24:26 pm »
They didn't arrest him, or caution him. They knew the law. He was on a horrid bit of road with plenty of alternatives that might be considered safer. Perhaps they were trying to be helpful?

Quite likely.

Much like the helmet and hi-vis people are trying to be helpful.  They don't realise it's political.

red marley

« Reply #516 on: 10 December, 2015, 12:25:12 pm »
Current thoughts on the record attempt?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #517 on: 10 December, 2015, 12:28:06 pm »

Random stops by well-meaning police are unlikely to case a statistically significant loss of mileage.

« Reply #518 on: 10 December, 2015, 12:48:27 pm »

Random stops by well-meaning police are unlikely to case a statistically significant loss of mileage.

Unexpected stops by ‘know it all’ crew-cab truck drivers who think they can forcibly change Steve’s route, might well end Steve’s attempt. Unless Steve knows a bit of Karate.
Tip, Stay off the A4177 between Warwick and Hatton.... Use the cycle path provided  :o

simonp

« Reply #519 on: 10 December, 2015, 01:19:24 pm »

I find it very hard to find anything positive in recent progress.

LMT

« Reply #520 on: 10 December, 2015, 01:48:58 pm »
The reason why policemen stop and talk to cyclists on fast dual carriageways is because if they didn’t, after observing the cyclist and the cyclist is killed, the policeman would be held negligent of doing his duty.
The incident will be recorded in the officer's report. "The cyclist was advised against riding on the A47".

Is it every policeman’s duty to protect the citizen? Or at least advise on ‘safer’ routes for cyclists. Does the ‘To protect and to serve’ motto apply in the UK?

In a similar manner, an AUK Organiser will advise the riders not to use the A47 dual carriageway. Some newbie Auks will think “I don’t need an AUK Org telling me what for.”

Take this victim blaming elsewhere in a new thread and we'll debate the issue.....

LMT

« Reply #521 on: 10 December, 2015, 01:49:49 pm »

I find it very hard to find anything positive in recent progress.

Which is a shame because as Winter's go compared to last year it's rather mild.

« Reply #522 on: 10 December, 2015, 02:04:56 pm »
^^^ Thus far it has been rather mild but it has also been rather wet (very wet) and rather windy (very windy) which can't be of great help.  A few still, dry and cooler days would no doubt help.  If we get a bad winter with hard frosts (ice) and snow (reducing the effective width of the road) then it will be truly grim.

Pity funds are tight and Steve can't fly to better weather.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #523 on: 10 December, 2015, 02:17:37 pm »
Pity funds are tight and Steve can't fly to better weather.

I am not sure if funds are tight (we simply don't know since fidgetbuzz stepped down as the money man).

I think it is possibly more related to Steve's drive to keep his attempt on a par with Tommy Godwins?  Stubbornness is a useful attribute in the long distance game, but may just count against you when doing something quite so long.

If funds were tight and that was stopping Steve do something, I am sure that a fund-raising drive within his current sponsors, and looking for new sponsors would yield results.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #524 on: 10 December, 2015, 02:27:51 pm »
My understanding is that Marcus is very close to the mark. I think Steve has forgotten that the majority of Tommy's attempt had a accompanying car with a dedicated person carrying extra clothes and handing up food and drinks along the road. That assistance alone is worth tens of miles per day. Kurt has certainly found that sort of assistance  very helpful.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...