Author Topic: Bear / Cyclist  (Read 1993 times)

Bear / Cyclist
« on: 30 June, 2016, 10:49:30 am »
Not sure where this should go:

Cyclist in northern US killed by grizzly bear

Seen other recordings of bear sightings and they all seem terrifying to me. Surprised by how few deaths from bears there has been, but I guess I shouldn't be, we're not prey.  Good news that the bears are getting taken off the endangered list.

Re: Bear / Cyclist
« Reply #1 on: 30 June, 2016, 11:44:36 am »
Has anyone upset Mr Larrington lately?

Canadian joke.

What's the difference between ordinary bear shit and Grizzly bear shit?

Grizzly bear shit has little silver bells in it.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2 on: 30 June, 2016, 03:59:32 pm »
See also "How to tell the difference between an ordinary brown BEAR and a grizzly"

If you climb a tree to escape from the BEAR and it climbs up the tree and eats you it's a brown BEAR but if it knocks the tree over and eats you it's a grizzly.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #3 on: 30 June, 2016, 06:07:21 pm »
Has anyone upset Mr Larrington lately?

Canadian joke.

What's the difference between ordinary bear shit and Grizzly bear shit?

Grizzly bear shit has little silver bells in it.

The full joke runs as follows:

Montana* Grizzly Bear Notice:

In light of the rising frequency of human/grizzly bear conflicts, the Montana Department of Fish and Game is advising hikers, hunters, and fishermen to take extra precautions and keep alert for bears while in the field. We advise that outdoorsmen wear noisy little bells on their clothing so as not to startle the bears that aren't expecting them.  We also advise outdoorsmen to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a bear.

It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity.  Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear poop.  Black bear poop is smaller and contains a lot of berry seeds and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear poop has little bells in it and smells like pepper spray.

*Other states or territories in Leftpondia and Canuckistan are available.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #4 on: 07 July, 2016, 03:15:28 pm »
At the risk of being vaguely relevant, I've seen the suggestion that the problem with cyclists and bears is that we're relatively silent, compared to a walker, so more easily surprise an scare the bear.  I'm not sure what is a more practical approach to be more noisy.  The relative quietness of a bicycle is one of the appeals to me, but it's also the downside in some situations, including the aforesaid bears, and inattentive pedestrians on shared use paths.

I'm happy to stick to the UK, and the somewhat lower risk of being attacked by a Wowbadger running in front of me, or a stealth sheep/rock on Dartmoor.
Actually, it is rocket science.