Author Topic: Sports Personality 2016  (Read 9568 times)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
Sports Personality 2016
« on: 29 November, 2016, 12:00:05 am »
Jamie Vardy surely.

The cycling vote will be split many ways and Vardy's story is truly incredible.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Sports Personality 2016
« Reply #1 on: 29 November, 2016, 08:33:28 am »
If I were a bookie, I wouldn't be offering odds on Andy Murray.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #2 on: 29 November, 2016, 09:21:06 am »
If I were a bookie, I wouldn't be offering odds on Andy Murray.

Oh Jeez... you're right.  I always forget that "Personality" isn't a pre-requisite of Sports Personality.

Also he'll get the mad cat women's vote.

« Reply #3 on: 29 November, 2016, 09:42:32 am »
Murray is currently 6/1 on !!
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #4 on: 29 November, 2016, 09:44:44 am »
If it were down to the person with a great personality and as a minimum has been successful in the sporting arena then Nicola Adams would be right up there.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #5 on: 29 November, 2016, 09:45:27 am »
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #6 on: 29 November, 2016, 09:46:38 am »
I imagine Leicester will get Team of the Year and/or Ranieri will get Coach of the Year.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #7 on: 29 November, 2016, 09:59:49 am »
Jamie Vardy's is indeed a great story. But nobody likes Jamie Vardy do they?! I can't imagine many football fans voting for Jamie, everyone always talks about what a truly unpleasant man he is off the pitch.

Andy Murray- so boring, but totally understand why he will win.

My vote would go to Alistair Brownlee, but can't see him winning in a million years. I have a huge girl crush on Laura too.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #8 on: 29 November, 2016, 10:00:03 am »
Has Murray not won it a few times already recently?  He probably does deserve it but even I (as a big Murray fan) think maybe it's time to give it to someone else.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9 on: 29 November, 2016, 10:54:02 am »
I have a huge girl crush on Laura too.
The tart on the tandem?

She is a great athlete.

But it won't go to a cyclist this year.

(I can't believe Lewis Hamilton is even in the running with the bookies  :facepalm: )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #10 on: 29 November, 2016, 10:58:54 am »
Once again the British public will be able to demonstrate their liking of everything mediocre, the same process demonstrated by the fact the Ed Balls has only just been voted out of SCD, despite not being able to dance a single step (I also hear that something similar is happening over on ITV with X-Factor and Honey-G).

So the sportsperson who has done the least to demonstrate that they have a personality (remember Cav won it one year!) and is popular with the public will win.  So my money is on Mr Zero Personality, Andy Murray(despite him having won it twice already).

Which is a shame as Laura should win, but as mentioned upthread, they cycling vote is split 3 ways.  Failing Laura, it should be Nicola Adams.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Sports Personality 2016
« Reply #11 on: 29 November, 2016, 11:09:42 am »
I don't know why everyone needs reminding *every* year that 'personality' in this context is a synonym for 'celebrity' and nothing to do with character.

Also something about SPOTY being irrelevant and uninteresting etc.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12 on: 29 November, 2016, 11:24:30 am »
I defy anybody, except possibly Eddie Hitler Paul Nuttall, to remain glum, after Nicola Adams has been on their TV screen for more than five seconds.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #13 on: 29 November, 2016, 11:43:05 am »
Andy Murray! 99% sure of it.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #14 on: 29 November, 2016, 12:16:45 pm »
I don't know why everyone needs reminding *every* year that 'personality' in this context is a synonym for 'celebrity' and nothing to do with character.

We don't.. we all know really.

caerau

« Reply #15 on: 29 November, 2016, 03:17:08 pm »

Also something about SPOTY being irrelevant and uninteresting etc.

This

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #16 on: 29 November, 2016, 06:50:47 pm »
I'm going to take SPOTY literally seriously and vote for whoever has the most zits.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

caerau

« Reply #17 on: 29 November, 2016, 07:52:41 pm »
I'm going to take SPOTY literally seriously and vote for whoever has the most zits.

:-D

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #18 on: 06 December, 2016, 03:41:06 pm »
I reckon there's a good case for job-sharing this year.  Step forward, Mr & Mrs Kenny.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #19 on: 06 December, 2016, 06:09:38 pm »
I don't get why you're all so insistent that Andy Murray is boring and personality-less. He's a perfectly pleasant, probably a bit shy, not showbizzy, able to laugh at himself normal Scottish bloke who is a phenomenal tennis player.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #20 on: 07 December, 2016, 06:18:53 pm »
To be fair to Ms Gallumbits, the dictionary seems to back her up:

personality
noun
1. the combination of characteristics or qualities that form an individual's distinctive character.
"she had a sunny personality that was very engaging"
2. a celebrity or famous person.
"an official opening by a famous personality"

2: Murray is certainly famous (and has been celebrated in previous SPOTYs, so is thus a celebrity :P )

1: does not technically apply here. Unless the competition itself has an ambiguos name?

I think those who suggest Murray is "personality-less" are using a  3rd - rather common popular - definition. Something like:
an individual with a unique combination of characteristics or qualities that form a distinctive - and usually admirable or likable - character

/pseudscorner
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

caerau

« Reply #21 on: 07 December, 2016, 06:22:02 pm »
I don't get why you're all so insistent that Andy Murray is boring and personality-less. He's a perfectly pleasant, probably a bit shy, not showbizzy, able to laugh at himself normal Scottish bloke who is a phenomenal tennis player.

Not all, couldn't agree more.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #22 on: 07 December, 2016, 07:00:53 pm »
I agreeI think Murray is quite an interesting character. He successfully wound up a lot of English people with his comment about England losing. That shows a fair bit of character, because you then know that the internet trolls are going to try to assassinate it.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #23 on: 07 December, 2016, 07:06:00 pm »
I agreeI think Murray is quite an interesting character. He successfully wound up a lot of English people with his comment about England losing. That shows a fair bit of character, because you then know that the internet trolls are going to try to assassinate it.

:facepalm:
It is simpler than it looks.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #24 on: 07 December, 2016, 07:19:35 pm »
That's probably the one thing he's said that made me think less of him. But the whole Scotland/Wales chip-on-shoulder about England sports teams topic could easily take up a whole nother thread ... And I wouldn't expect a Wales supporter to agree with me.

Anyway:
I've quite enjoyed his moments when the enormity of emotion has overcome his natural shyness  :thumbsup:

I just think that most other prominent sportspersonages have far more of those moments. Whilst some should really be gagged (mostly English footballers).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------