Author Topic: Timer switches  (Read 3093 times)

ian

Re: Timer switches
« Reply #25 on: 01 March, 2021, 09:22:04 pm »
We were going to get magic automatic blinds, but it turns out that we're home all the time now, so somewhat redundant. According to the man who was going to fit them, he does quite a few installs. Less now, I imagine.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26 on: 01 March, 2021, 10:49:55 pm »
Automagic curtains are just the thing if your living room is ever likely to have a floor full of hung-over teenagers on a Sunday morning.  Bonus points for a cyprographic UI borrowed from an oven, and being powered from an unswitched fused spur.  (DAHIKT)

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #27 on: 02 March, 2021, 02:10:25 pm »
Automagic curtains are just the thing if your living room is ever likely to have a floor full of hung-over teenagers on a Sunday morning.  Bonus points for a cyprographic UI borrowed from an oven, and being powered from an unswitched fused spur.  (DAHIKT)
I’ve found a #1 mother with a vacuum cleaner is every bit as effective in the lounge full of hung-over teenagers on a Sunday morning scenario. Bonus points for the addition of slobbery bouncy dog with squeaky toy  ;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 02 March, 2021, 05:59:30 pm »
I’ve found a #1 mother with a vacuum cleaner is every bit as effective in the lounge full of hung-over teenagers on a Sunday morning scenario. Bonus points for the addition of slobbery bouncy dog with squeaky toy  ;D

Ah, but the beauty of the curtains is they work when you're safely Away For The Weekend.

« Reply #29 on: 02 March, 2021, 06:48:56 pm »
I have considered getting some smart plugs but I'm struggling beyond the novelty to find a use for them.   

Must try harder ..

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #30 on: 04 March, 2021, 06:51:06 pm »
Shame I can't close the curtains electronically

I've had automated motorised curtains (on the front of the house) for over 25 years now.  They have been fantastic for peace of mind.  And remarkably robust and reliable, considering - 25 years ...

For timeswitches generally, I've never had a mechanical one that wasn't noisy, I've never had an electronic one that didn't fail far, far too soon.  Smart plugs are working well for me (early days, been using them about 2 years).
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #31 on: 05 March, 2021, 10:40:46 am »
I got two smart plugs to allow us to turn the electric blanket on from downstairs so it was toasty by the time we cam up, showered, etc.  They worked fine for about 2 months but now are nowhere to be found on the apple Homekit set up on phone, ipad or imac.

I suspect that they are not yet ready for real time use

« Reply #32 on: 05 March, 2021, 10:49:10 am »
I have one so I can turn on the Zwifting fan* a couple of minutes in when I'm actually getting warm rather than freezing at the start, or completely forgetting. Nothing that couldn't be done with a dumb remote control.

(* Which can be done in your finest Richard O'Brien voice, although Iris sometimes interprets this as a question)

« Reply #33 on: 05 March, 2021, 10:57:03 am »
The thing is that no one actually ever does that. Because unless you're planning to rob a bazillionaire in some Ocean's whatever style heist, the average burglar just picks a house that looks empty that they reckon they get into quickly without being seen.
Don't the thieves knock on the door of the houses they want to burgle, and if there's no response
go on with the business of illicit entry?

ian

« Reply #34 on: 05 March, 2021, 11:02:14 am »
The thing is that no one actually ever does that. Because unless you're planning to rob a bazillionaire in some Ocean's whatever style heist, the average burglar just picks a house that looks empty that they reckon they get into quickly without being seen.
Don't the thieves knock on the door of the houses they want to burgle, and if there's no response

Yes, that's a common one, look for a place that looks empty, knock on the door, have a poke around for access. I don't think they hack your IoT device provider, spend weeks observing your usage patterns, and then plot a cunning robbery that involves drilling down from the roof and suspending themselves from wires. I could be wrong though.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #35 on: 05 March, 2021, 11:58:40 am »
When we were burgled, the toerag knocked on the door and my wife answered. He claimed to be a taxi driver or something. Unfortunately, my wife was just getting ready to go out at the time, which he obviously twigged, so he just waited until she was gone.

I'm not convinced by the whole curtain opening/closing, lights on/off thing as a deterrent, but the police do recommend it and I'm sure they know what they're talking about.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #36 on: 05 March, 2021, 12:20:44 pm »
It's Bayesian, isn't it? If they have a choice of a house that looks like it might be occupied and one that isn't, then they'll probably go with that. Knocking on a door creates a risk of being recognized – a pointless one maybe, statistically they won't ever get caught. The idea is that you put your house further down the probability tree. Most thievery is a crime of opportunity and they'll take the path of least resistance and risk.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #37 on: 05 March, 2021, 12:23:10 pm »

Set the lights to come on in response to the door knocking when you're out.

Reasonable doubt.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #38 on: 05 March, 2021, 12:27:39 pm »
The idea is that you put your house further down the probability tree.

Sure. I suppose it depends where you live as well. If you're on a suburban residential street, it's about making sure your neighbours are a more attractive prospect.

Where I live, in a semi-rural location with some very fancy houses among our nearest neighbours... if they look at us, then look at them, it won't take long to decide which is likely to have more stuff worth stealing. OTOH, the neighbours are more likely to have fancy security systems too. But it would take the average opportunist drug addict a lot more effort to come and burgle us. He'd need a vehicle - or have to wait ages for a bus then hope the driver turns a blind eye to his big sack marked 'SWAG'.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #39 on: 05 March, 2021, 01:18:18 pm »
The Asbestos Palace would be easy to burgle if you got around the back. It's secluded and it's unlikely anyone would hear a window being smashed. Or the sounds of screams as the bears tear off their arms and use their brains, admittedly small and under-developed, as a dip.

Most thievery is opportunistic. Our neighbours but one had their garage emptied in five minutes. Someone driving by, saw the door was open, so the two of them hopped of out of their van and simply loaded up everything they could carry. Took about two minutes (he was making a cup of tea). Probably builders or workmen from the looks of them rather than full-time robbers, it's a no-through road, but generic white van and his CCTV was at the wrong angle to get their plates.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #40 on: 05 March, 2021, 01:56:35 pm »
Similarly, here in studentville, all you really need to do is keep your bikes indoors, actually lock the door and not leave your windows open unattended ever.  They'll go on to the next house for an easy-grab laptop.