Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2167563 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #15750 on: 05 April, 2021, 07:19:15 pm »
The Brompton was sick.  Turned out to be a very loose chain tensioner pivot screw.

The "new" (very old) BB-7400 is a bit stiff but it is installed properly; I pulled it all apart.  The seals are just stiff.  Shimano put different seals in different years of these, for some reason; the BB-7400 seals on the Eddy Merckx are as free as you like.  They'll free up.

The AM indicator kept unscrewing itself so I used a miniscule amount of threadlock on the fine thread.  It really wants converting to an AW indicator and axle key, but ICBA to open up the hub right now.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #15751 on: 05 April, 2021, 08:31:29 pm »
Spent an hour on & off with my head in the giblets of the pull out larder cabinet in our kitchen as it wouldn't close all the way. Seems to be sort of working now, for reasons I can't fathom. We'll see how long it lasts...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #15752 on: 05 April, 2021, 08:40:34 pm »
More triffid wrangling. Was fine during but I can feel my crustacean tube sealing up now.

Bloody hayfever.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #15753 on: 06 April, 2021, 10:15:25 am »
Investigated why the garage had no power and there was a burning smell therein.

Eventually tracked it down to the fridge freezer.

Bugger

Oh well at least it means one less thing to move when we empty the garage for demolition.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #15754 on: 06 April, 2021, 02:34:34 pm »
Shower silicon replacement, one of my least favourite jobs.  Shower enclosure is manky and needs replacing, but the silicon is more urgent. Got the old stuff out, scrubbed with a scratchy pad to give a nice clean surface and will leave it a bit to make sure it's fully dry before putting the new in.

Only one finger-knife negative interface, which I consider acceptable for this kind of job.  Knife was so sharp, I hadn't realised I'd opened a flap about 1.5cm long until I noticed the blood dripping  :facepalm:
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #15755 on: 06 April, 2021, 05:37:31 pm »
I've got that delightful job waiting for me before putting the flat on the market, with the addition of some more under the living room and bedroom windows. I'm waiting until the very last minute once we've done everything else though.
Which reminds me, my prospective decorators seem to have gone onto silent running...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #15756 on: 06 April, 2021, 06:35:35 pm »
Investigated why the garage had no power and there was a burning smell therein.

Eventually tracked it down to the fridge freezer.

Bugger

Oh well at least it means one less thing to move when we empty the garage for demolition.

Bugger #2, it's not the ff, but the chest freezer. Arse
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #15757 on: 06 April, 2021, 06:52:02 pm »
Shit.  Literally.

Well actually I failed to fettle it, so a) the septic tank emptier truck appears and does its sucky shitty stuff, but still no drain flow, despite enthusiastic rodding on my part, then he suggests getting the jetting team in, which I agree to.

So b)Jetting guys appear in van, and give me a lesson in rodding techniques for this precise situation, and promptly clears it, which a resounding suck and splat.  At least now I know the technique, should my less than optimal drainage layout give further trouble. The suspicion is that my "drainage field" i.e. the bit of John the farmer's field behind, where my septic tank discharges into, may be gunged up permanently.  this would require getting John to agree for me to spend thousands on digging a series of trenches, applying many tonnes of graded aggregate, perforated pipes, geotextile, topsoil, and re-seed the damaged bits of John's grazing field.  This will have to be done during the period when he has no stock in it, to allow the grass to recover from being grazed.

Oh, the joys of country living...  Thats £240 down the pan today, and several thousand some time later this year.
Wombat

rogerzilla

« Reply #15758 on: 06 April, 2021, 06:52:31 pm »
Threaded 56 x 8BA brass washers onto 28 spokes ready for lacing to an old Sturmey-Archer hub.  It wasn't much fun, as they only just fit over the rolled threads

« Reply #15759 on: 06 April, 2021, 08:06:42 pm »
A little fettle with bar height on both bikes.

Turned the redshift stem to -6 degrees on the Triban. It was too high at +6.

Raised the bars 12mm on the Elan half way up the stem - but kept stem at -7 degrees: It felt a touch to low on this weekends ride.

« Reply #15760 on: 08 April, 2021, 07:36:57 pm »
I've modified one of these:-

into this:-

which reads voltage:-

and the other side reads current:-
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #15761 on: 08 April, 2021, 07:45:24 pm »
That is spiffing.

Although is this the first component in a passenger seat taser you are building for annoying people in your car?

« Reply #15762 on: 08 April, 2021, 08:24:02 pm »
I don't need a taser to annoy people in my car. I seem to manage that without one.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #15763 on: 09 April, 2021, 07:43:54 am »
SWMBO shouted up the stairs to announce that the kitchen door latch had failed and left her unable to leave via the proper exit. Kitchen access was now via the back door, a lengthy and inconvenient path to the rest of the house around the outside, the side gate and front door.
Spare 45mm latch located in the kitchen drawer - hooray! So the offending door did not need the creative bungee door closer for long.
Why not just leave it open? Dog control and segregation. Probably why the latch wore out.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #15764 on: 09 April, 2021, 10:25:23 am »
Looked at a dripping union in the cellar and decided to call the plumber. Plumbing and I are not friends.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #15765 on: 09 April, 2021, 01:12:48 pm »
Fitted a sunrace derailleur extender to the Elan.

I get peace of mind for clearance with the 11-36 cassette - and it makes removing the wheel less of a faff: The QR widget is blocked by the 5700 derailleur, and the 32mm tyre gives no clearance pushing against the forward mudguard bolt when taking the wheel out.

But not any more - the wheel drops like a stone and makes a break for freedom  ;D

rogerzilla

« Reply #15766 on: 09 April, 2021, 06:13:46 pm »
Built the AM/AW frankenhub into a wheel and put it on the Moulton.  Unfortunately 56 x 17 is just the wrong combination, putting the axle almost at the back of the dropouts with a new chain.  Take a link out, and it's too short to sit in the dropouts.  I have had to use the crappy one-sided anti-rotation washers, as the nice serrated ones hit the end of the slot before the axle does.

It's fine for about 500 miles (and a hub gear can be run with a pretty slack chain if needs be) but then it's a new chain unless removing a link works then.  I have put two Powerlinks next to each other to facilitate this.

I think the answer may be an 18T and 32 or 35mm tyres, rather than 28mm.

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #15767 on: 09 April, 2021, 11:16:28 pm »
Built the AM/AW frankenhub into a wheel and put it on the Moulton.  Unfortunately 56 x 17 is just the wrong combination, putting the axle almost at the back of the dropouts with a new chain.  Take a link out, and it's too short to sit in the dropouts.  I have had to use the crappy one-sided anti-rotation washers, as the nice serrated ones hit the end of the slot before the axle does.

It's fine for about 500 miles (and a hub gear can be run with a pretty slack chain if needs be) but then it's a new chain unless removing a link works then.  I have put two Powerlinks next to each other to facilitate this.

I think the answer may be an 18T and 32 or 35mm tyres, rather than 28mm.

Or a ghost sprocket?
Jennifer - Walker of hills

rogerzilla

« Reply #15768 on: 10 April, 2021, 08:12:28 am »
Quote from: JennyB link=topic=1241.msg2611953#msg2611953
Or a ghost sprocket?
The horror!

The problem is that the TSR dropouts are just a bit short.  Normally, horizontal dropouts are long enough so you can always get the axle in a good position, given that chains can only be altered by 1" at a time.  The old Campag 1010 road ends often allowed a choice of two positions!

Going to an 18T with 28mm tyres gives a 56.7" normal gear.  That's probably ok for a Moulton.  I normally choose 60" but the Moulton is about 1mph slower anyway.  Also gives a 48" low gear on the AM hub, which is an advantage - it's like 42 x 23 on a full-size bike.

rogerzilla

« Reply #15769 on: 10 April, 2021, 10:53:02 am »
End of season (well, end of wood!) cleanout of the stove.  Nice dry ash, no creosote.  The "access plate", which takes the brunt of the heat, is quite warped now, so I should order a new one before autumn.  You can get every spare part for a Morsø.

« Reply #15770 on: 10 April, 2021, 05:57:02 pm »
Gave the cheap Bianchi a bit of love. New chain and cassette. New ergon grips. A new Alivio thumb shifter to replace the awful twist shift. And some Schwalbe Supreme's to replace the indestructible Marathon Plus.

The joy of a nice gear change when the old chain and sprockets were knackered.

Snickety-Snick.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #15771 on: 10 April, 2021, 06:35:28 pm »
New bearings into the rear wheel of the Bloo fixer.

Planted  handful of spuds

Sowed some French beans into pots

Fitted a. now no longer rusty chain to my friend-round-the-corner's bike, following a several of days tinkering and unsiezing.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15772 on: 10 April, 2021, 06:36:36 pm »
Used the 40-minute window while barakta was at the optiquack to do some much-needed drivetrain maintenance.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #15773 on: 10 April, 2021, 10:02:19 pm »
Went for a curtailed walk cos Pingu was feeling a bit carp so after that I fettled all the carbs;
2 loaves of bread
16 cinnamon buns
1 batch of pizza dough for tomorrow.

« Reply #15774 on: 11 April, 2021, 09:13:58 am »
Assembled the new pressure washer that Mrs A insisted we needed.  The upside is that I see it can be used to clean bicycles.
Move Faster and Bake Things