Author Topic: Little Eye On The Provinces  (Read 374810 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: Little Eye On The Provinces
« Reply #1976 on: 06 August, 2019, 05:06:14 pm »
Floods of nowhere near biblical proportions hit Horsham:

https://www.crawleyobserver.co.uk/news/traffic-and-travel/horsham-road-flooded-after-tree-roots-block-drains-1-9024118

Flood levels are currently rising with the water now overflowing onto the pavement.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #1978 on: 15 August, 2019, 09:50:47 am »
Interesting how modern flatted estates look like  Russian flatted estates but with more colours. Many a town and village had this experience when the railways and canals were being constructed, so nothing new there.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #1979 on: 17 August, 2019, 08:47:34 am »

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #1980 on: 18 August, 2019, 09:07:46 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/aug/16/seasides-town-new-toilets-feature-high-tech-anti-sex-measures?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

I once used a public loo in Somerset(?) that played classical music at occupants. 
I'd love that - and wait until the movement ends!
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1981 on: 18 August, 2019, 03:46:40 pm »
Any fule kno that classical music played to fill interstices seldom progresses to a movement's completion...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1982 on: 19 August, 2019, 10:31:45 pm »
We met the Bristol 'Flat Earther' concerned his views could put him in danger
In danger of what? Falling off the edge of the Earth? No!
The Flat Earther we spoke to keeps his identity a secret because he says society is 'programmed' to ridicule him
Better iron that tin foil!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1983 on: 19 August, 2019, 10:40:48 pm »
The Flat Earther we spoke to keeps his identity a secret because he says society is 'programmed' to ridicule him

"Programmed" - that's a funny way to pronounce "educated that the earth is, based on current observations, an oblate spheroid".

Besides, if the earth was flat, cats would have pushed everything off it by now.  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1984 on: 19 August, 2019, 10:45:23 pm »

This sounds like Brexiteers.
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1985 on: 19 August, 2019, 11:55:04 pm »
I don't know how anyone from Bristol can think the earth is flat...

« Reply #1986 on: 23 August, 2019, 06:19:06 pm »

« Reply #1987 on: 23 August, 2019, 08:59:06 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/aug/23/lets-move-to-west-kirby-merseyside-way-things-used-to-be?CMP=share_btn_wa

Oh I say, West Kirby has made the Grauniad.   Nice enough place with a few decent cafes.  I go there sometimes & ride the old railway line which is now a cycle way down to Chester, or vice versa. 

« Reply #1988 on: 24 August, 2019, 11:21:07 am »
I used to crew on our Doctors sailing dinghy on the marine lake there. Is the cycle way the Wirral way? Haven't tried it for about 8 or so years but the connection through Parkgate to link up with the Dee embankment and onto Chester used to be very bitty.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #1989 on: 24 August, 2019, 11:34:10 am »
Yes,  the Wirral Way  It's not continuous all the way to Chester.  You can go from West Kirby to Neston, then a bit of roadwork to pick up the route across Burton Marshes which dumps you in an unlovely industrial estate.  From there you can pick up the Millennium Greenway which leads to the Chester canal basin.

« Reply #1990 on: 24 August, 2019, 03:59:27 pm »
I got completely lost in the unlovely (and seemingly abandoned) industrial estate. I couldn't find the Millenium Greenway, either. I rode th Chester along a parallel route on a former railway.

I enjoyed the trip, thobut.

« Reply #1991 on: 25 August, 2019, 11:20:46 am »
The old railway path is the Millenium greenway. The alternate route to Chester is to turn south to Hawarden Bridge and then follow the path alongside the river Dee into Chester. It's a good tarmac surface all the way. When it delivers you into a park you can either follow the canal up towards the city centre or thread your way passed the racecourse and follow the river to the groves where there are cafes, ice cream vans and toilets and you're about 1/4 mile from the city centre and about 1/2 mile from the station.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #1992 on: 26 August, 2019, 08:46:17 pm »
I got a train to Chester this morning & rode up to West Kirby.    This time I didn't get lost after I crossed the Welsh Road bridge by what used to be RAF Sealand (I remember passing this regularly as a child on frequent family trips to North Wales. The gate guard at the main gate until 1988 was Spitfire TD248. It was restored to flying condition in the 1990s.[4] Restored Spitfire TD248 in flight on YouTube.)   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF5jM45Gc1g

They must have upgraded the signage & once in the industrial estate you are directed off the road onto shared use pavement which takes you to the path over the marshes.  Vey busy with cyclists , the cafe was doing plenty of business. https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g2135808-d5930786-Reviews-Net_s_Coffee_Shop-Neston_Cheshire_England.html 

I got up to West Kirby & rather than continue round the top got a train home.  Stuff to do , which still hasn't been done  :-[

https://twitter.com/andrewxclark/status/1165933285857529859?s=20

https://twitter.com/andrewxclark/status/1165928335236636673?s=20

« Reply #1993 on: 26 August, 2019, 08:51:26 pm »
Hows about a week end up there sometime?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #1994 on: 26 August, 2019, 09:27:05 pm »
Errrrrr..........    I did promise to look at organising a camping weekend sometime, but events have gotten the better of me.  Today was the first time I've done anything other than commute since the weekend at Clapham :-(      There are a few campsites near Chester, but mostly fairly basic.  There _is_ a full spec C&CC club site at Delamere.

I have thought of doing this as a forum ride, even as a night ride.   From Chester station to the ferry at Seacombe is about 51Km,  a fairly easy day ride, mostly on traffic free paths .  From Seacombe get the ferry across the Mersey to Liverpool & it's a short ride back to Lime St for people to get a train home, or back to Chester to pick up cars. 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1995 on: 26 August, 2019, 11:42:21 pm »
There _is_ a full spec C&CC club site at Delamere.

The ALC went there last autumn.  Factoids learned:

1) Delamere has its own station (with tearoom), just round the corner from the campsite.  The line was bustituted all weekend :(
b) The site doesn't have a rec room or other warm space for winter campers to huddle away from the mud[1] and soak up electrons.
III)  It's a fairly long way from anything else, unless you're interested in Going Ape.  There's a local shop a bike ride's distance away.

On that basis, I'd say it was very much a summer destination.

[1] This was one of the few times I've had to excavate SPD cleats with a twig before they'd engage with a pedal, and possibly the only one that didn't involve the NCN.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #1996 on: 02 September, 2019, 08:45:01 am »
This makes Audaxers look normal

A village cricket club from Bedfordshire has broken a world record by playing non-stop for seven days.

Twenty-four players at Blunham Cricket Club contended with soaring temperatures and torrential rain, but beat the previous record on Saturday.

Club captain George Hutson said during the endurance test the players were mentally and physically "shot"...

...The team announced in a tweet it had completed 168 hours of continuous play and said it would be a "lasting memory for so many people".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-49523860
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1998 on: 01 October, 2019, 07:51:17 pm »
I look forward to at least two of them becoming cabinet ministers...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1999 on: 01 October, 2019, 07:55:29 pm »
2nd from right bears an uncomfortable resemblance to a younger Cameron.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.