Author Topic: Best bent for Audax , Commute and SPEED.  (Read 18594 times)

recumbentim

• Only 6 SR,s No hyper yet
Re: Best bent for Audax , Commute and SPEED.
« Reply #25 on: 14 February, 2010, 09:17:42 pm »
Been looking at the BB to seat ratio. I do fancy one of those Rapto Mid Racers when they are for sale , if they are for sale ever?
The Baccheta giro has an 8 inch ratio with 700c wheels , have tried to reduce this over the winter , with loss of speed ?
So the Rapto  Mid racer has a 10 " ratio porbably faster on the flat but how would this effect climbing?

recumbentim

« Reply #26 on: 06 March, 2010, 08:55:27 pm »
Wow done it now got a Rapto Mid Racer frame kit coming???

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
    • Barring Mechanicals Blog
« Reply #27 on: 08 March, 2010, 09:23:54 am »
Would love to see photos of it built up. Will be interesting to put the whole 'FWD can't climb' to bed at last.
Love words, hate lulu? Buy "Barring Mechanicals" on Amazon UK or US

recumbentim

« Reply #28 on: 11 March, 2010, 08:19:19 pm »
Would love to see photos of it built up. Will be interesting to put the whole 'FWD can't climb' to bed at last.
Well dont think you can. Edin fixd and I did a 200 on sat with 12% climb up loch Talla with snow on road appart from the width of a car wheel.
I had to stop and walk cause at low speeds 3 mph on Bacchetta I wobble and hit the snow.
Edin Fixd on low rapto and wet road struggled for traction and when stopped could not get initial turn to get going and with only front brake on would slip backwards??
So ended up walking like most of the other uprights for 200m .
But how many times are you out on wet greasy roads with over 12% bits?

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #29 on: 11 March, 2010, 08:55:02 pm »
But how many times are you out on wet greasy roads with over 12% bits?

Almost every other ride in my case - in fact one of my regular climbs is over 25% (I've measured it carefully).

I suppose (see posts elsewhere) this is a reason against me getting a quick two wheeler.  I am conscious when out on the Frankenbent (enormous DIY LWB thing) that I avoid steep hills because of the difficulty in getting off the thing if I stall on a steep gradient - and the difficulty getting going when the road flattens out a bit.  Though there's no doubt that even the odd assortment of bits of ferrous metal that makes up the Frankenbent is much quicker than my trikes on the flat, the go-anywhere nature of the trikes (esp the Kettwiesel which munches steep hills) means that I end up on three wheels more often than two.

Of course, trikes and speed rarely enter the same sentence except downhill, so I acknowledge that I am straying a bit OT (although my trike averages are creeping ever closer to my DF average speeds)

recumbentim

« Reply #30 on: 09 May, 2010, 01:24:43 pm »
Thought I would post an update.
Rapto bike Mid racer cancelled on friday 9 weeks after placing original order.
Thought they were ready to purchase when I placed the order and was fairly patient.
David at Laid back , Edinburgh , was a good and helpfull , but with cycle  scheme cheque here I had to move on.
Purchased Baccetta Giro ATT 26  frame kit and carbon seat , better the devil you know I suppose.
Steel Giro frame Kit and Euro mesh seat will be for sale in a couple of weeks , MAYBE.

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #31 on: 09 May, 2010, 04:25:40 pm »
Don't tempt me - I'm trying to reduce my collection - but an attractive figure would always attract an offer if you see what I mean...

recumbentim

« Reply #32 on: 10 May, 2010, 06:44:14 pm »
Will put on  "classifieds" in a couple of weeks. Will  be kit with stem ,  bars , euro mesh seat ,  fork ?

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #33 on: 10 May, 2010, 09:36:16 pm »
Is the Giro frame kit for a Giro 20 or 26?  A big front wheel would rule me out, but I have longed for a Giro 20 for a long time.  It seems the perfect match (for me) of a steel frame and the right sized wheels.  Plus the garage is clear of a couple bikes so I've got the space... (must calm down)

rwa.martin

« Reply #34 on: 10 May, 2010, 09:41:37 pm »

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #35 on: 10 May, 2010, 10:00:41 pm »
Sadly too far away... as might xrtimothy's.  Saved from answering embarrassing questions by reason of distance!  I did think that DIY might be a more affordable route - though yours is a very nice looking bike.

recumbentim

« Reply #36 on: 31 May, 2010, 08:24:41 pm »
Got Giro 26" ATT with carbon seat on the road now . Itis slightly lighter and faster and carbon seat is Brill.
THEREFORE have Bacchetta giro 26" , large , frame kit ,euro mesh seat and fork for sale .
See For Sale.

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #37 on: 31 May, 2010, 09:07:19 pm »
Thank goodness it's the large size - could have had a couple of conflicted sleepless nights otherwise...

recumbentim

« Reply #38 on: 23 November, 2011, 06:59:37 pm »
Right done a few miles on the Giro ATT now with 700c wheels.
But going to hit you with a new gearing idea I been using for a couple of weeks now, it,s light and simple and gives me enough range for what I do , 25 to 100 inches.
Capreo hub 24 hole laced on 700c rim , Cassette is some capreo and some MTB shimano (  9 speeds only Ultegra Thumbshifter ).
Cassette cogs 9,10,11,13,15,18,21,28,36. --------- Front is Stronglight 32 tooth.

Would like to get a 12 tooth in the  cassette  and would only use up to 32 unless it was steep stuff.

I change gears frequently on rolling stuff and find around 20mph on the flat is where I want close gears.

Simples eh???

Wothill

• over the hills and far away
« Reply #39 on: 28 November, 2011, 09:59:53 pm »
Right done a few miles on the Giro ATT now with 700c wheels.
Bit of an understatement as I understand it, XRT!

Sounds like an interesting experiment with the Capreo hub. Was the objective to get rid of the triple chainset?

I think I would prefer the approach of a triple chainset with closer ratio cassette since I don't like big gaps between gears. Ultimately it's all down to personal preference with gearing. I have changed the gearing on my Seiran SL to 10-speed with the Shimano 12-27 cassette which gives me quite a wide range: 27-107 inches is a bit low at the top end for fast riding but good for long distances which is what I do most of. That's with 571 wheels.

I like the Seiran SL but the lack of luggage carrying ability (unless you use a trailer) limits it for touring. I have recently built up a yellow peril (just like yours!) for touring purposes and the first trial has gone well - 3 days with 4 panniers (mine and my better half's). The Giro has 700 wheels which makes the same gearing as on the Challenge a bit high for touring. I will probably put a smaller little ring on the 105 chainset but keep the 12-27 cassette. The Giro is great from first impressions but I don't think my Seiran has been bettered for audax purposes. I will have to do some more comparisons but the Seiran is lighter by about 2kg and it feels a bit nippier especially on hilly rides (which is most of what I do around here). Strangely, I am not convinced the Giro with 700x28 tyres is significantly better comfort-wise than the Seiran with 571x23. I need to try it a bit more to be sure. Certainly the Giro will be easier to get replacements for if I break something tyre or wheel related in deepest France.

recumbentim

« Reply #40 on: 07 December, 2011, 09:26:36 pm »
Good to see you are trying a comparison. Mine is probably much lighter but as you know I am heavier. The single is to get rid of a Double chainset and as you say is personal preference , I find I like big jumps.
 Interesting to see you run same inches gap but you have it slghtly higher.
  The giro is a good tourer though and with the caliper brake bit cut off you can fit any size of tyres , I now run 28mm.
     But here is a question if the new Carbon Bacchetta 2 is avalabile in both 571 and 622 sizes which one have they sold most of ?
       I know wich on I would buy.

Wothill

« Reply #41 on: 09 December, 2011, 10:57:14 pm »
Good to see you are trying a comparison. Mine is probably much lighter but as you know I am heavier. The single is to get rid of a Double chainset and as you say is personal preference , I find I like big jumps.
 Interesting to see you run same inches gap but you have it slghtly higher.
  The giro is a good tourer though and with the caliper brake bit cut off you can fit any size of tyres , I now run 28mm.
     But here is a question if the new Carbon Bacchetta 2 is avalabile in both 571 and 622 sizes which one have they sold most of ?
       I know wich on I would buy.
That would be interesting to know. I suppose those buying a complete carbon frame will be looking for minimum weight all round so they may not be too bothered that 571s are only available in racing-type tyres. The other thing is that some would find the higher seat a problem with 700s. Doesn't worry me - I would definitely go for the 700s. 650s on the Seiran aren't a big problem but not my favourite feature of the bike.

« Reply #42 on: 23 December, 2011, 02:58:11 pm »
I've just realised, Wothill, that it might have been you we saw in October just outside Kelso. I had borrowed a Fuego from David at Laidback (My normal ride is a Bacchetta Giro 26 and ICE B2). One thing I did notice was the downhill speed of the semi low racer configuration. Particularly long gradual descents. Compared to the B2 / Giro bikes it continued to pick up speed. My DF companions hadn't a hope even though they flogged themselves trying to stop me passing! It does suggest that the low racer has a considerable advantage on the flat / downhill. Uphill was a different matter! Mind you both the bike and its rider are capable of some weight loss!

Cheers

John

Wothill

« Reply #43 on: 31 December, 2011, 04:53:06 pm »
I've just realised, Wothill, that it might have been you we saw in October just outside Kelso. I had borrowed a Fuego from David at Laidback (My normal ride is a Bacchetta Giro 26 and ICE B2). One thing I did notice was the downhill speed of the semi low racer configuration. Particularly long gradual descents. Compared to the B2 / Giro bikes it continued to pick up speed. My DF companions hadn't a hope even though they flogged themselves trying to stop me passing! It does suggest that the low racer has a considerable advantage on the flat / downhill. Uphill was a different matter! Mind you both the bike and its rider are capable of some weight loss!

Cheers

John
Hi John. It was indeed - part of my madcap dash for audax points in October. I mentioned to David that I had spotted a nice blue Fuego at Kelso but he didn't twig that it was actually one of his!

I may indulge in a low racer one day - I guess the speed is from getting the body in line with the wheels, whereas on a high racer you have drag from the wheels below and the body above. Interesting half remembered reference from LittleWheelsandBig on the thread about Obree's latest record attempt (at Battle Moundtain) - he has read that recumbent riders are about 20% down on power compared with riding a DF. That would certainly explain the slowness uphill that we all experience but it also suggests an avenue for research into how to find a recumbent position that puts at least some of that power back. That would be a holy grail - everyone would be on recumbents in no time.

Alf

« Reply #44 on: 04 January, 2012, 11:05:32 pm »
Alf - is this your five seconds of fame? <a href="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=34120002&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA" target="_blank">http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=34120002&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA</a>. Great vid and well done by the way.

It appears to me that my ICE B2 climbs as well or better than any low racer that I have ridden. I suspect that the more closed riding position is more efficient. And larger wheels roll better overall, I think. (Its my tourer and surprisingly good at winching loads uphill)  However the Fuego equals or beats it in windy conditions and descents. Pound for pound the advantages cancel each other out. But they deliver different riding experiences. The Fuego is the more comfortable and easier to launch and it's better looking!

Cheers

John

Wothill

« Reply #45 on: 10 January, 2012, 02:46:15 pm »
Alf - is this your five seconds of fame? <a href="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=34120002&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA" target="_blank">http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=34120002&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA</a>. Great vid and well done by the way.

It is, although I don't remember saying that. I suppose I must have. It is a good video. I had seen bits of it before immediately after PBP there were shorter sections posted on various web site. I guess this is the final editing.

Sounds like you have experience of quite a few different bikes. I have only ridden 3 different recumbents for longer than trials of a few minutes and they are all very different machines. I'll have to write it down sometime - just might be of interest to others.

Alf

« Reply #46 on: 24 January, 2012, 08:59:11 am »
I had a spin on the Raptobike midracer - David has one in the showroom now, after all this time.

Very low seat considering the 700C wheels - similar to the seat height of the 26" Furai, or even a little lower IIRC. No dérailleur post so would lend itself well to Tim's 1x9 (you can obviously buy them with posts though).

Wothill

« Reply #47 on: 24 January, 2012, 10:02:43 pm »
I had a spin on the Raptobike midracer - David has one in the showroom now, after all this time.

Very low seat considering the 700C wheels - similar to the seat height of the 26" Furai, or even a little lower IIRC. No dérailleur post so would lend itself well to Tim's 1x9 (you can obviously buy them with posts though).
Are you considering a part X for your lowracer, or would the knee issue be more of the same?

« Reply #48 on: 25 January, 2012, 09:31:56 am »
I haven't gone further than 20 miles in one go since PBP, although I'm riding hard on the commute and my knees seem fine... but yeah, I think if I do get back into proper distances (PBP2015 is very tempting!) then it will need to be on something with a low Q factor.

Don't know what though. A RWD version of the Raptobike mid would be ideal...

recumbentim

« Reply #49 on: 08 February, 2012, 04:02:34 pm »
Will go down and try the Rapto soon just to satisfy my curiosity.
I have a very narrow Q with the old stronglight . Tried other chainsets but seems strange to me.
What seat is on that rapto E . Fix?