Author Topic: Bent on a Budget  (Read 11297 times)

Re: Bent on a Budget
« Reply #25 on: 10 January, 2011, 03:51:56 pm »
The main thing I don't enjoy is the position of the power idler - it slightly distorts my pedal stroke on that side. I think this is quite leg-length dependent because I've spoken to plenty of people who have no trouble with theirs (and to be fair, mine doesn't hurt or anything - it just annoys me sometimes when I'm tired).

The idler was the reason not to consider a Rapto when I was looking for a new bike, over two years ago. I was rubbing the idler so badly I expected my leg to bleed after 35km.
Last year on CycleVision I tried again, and I was rubbing it on every pedal stroke. On the Rapto high racer I didn't have a problem with the idler.
On my 559 wheeled Furai I occasionaly touch the idler, but I don't consider it a problem there.

There was a Dutch bloke that did LEL on a Rapto, so it is entirely possible to audax with one of them. This year he did the Lowlands 1200 IIRC.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

« Reply #26 on: 10 January, 2011, 04:22:20 pm »
I've found it can take a while to get properly dialled-in. I bought a Speedmachine 3 years ago, was a complete wuss about riding it around traffic the first year - didn't ride enough to feel at home on it, rode it a bit more the following summer, then this year have been doing all my riding (mostly commuting) on it.
Whilst I could ride it to a basic degree fairly easily from the start - it's USS which I think's a bit more intuitive - getting smooth turns into bends and hillstarts has taken a lot longer - taking some tight r-handers fast still seems to give me a little trouble.
Very occasionally I'll still brake abruptly at a stop line and have the front kinda pogo back up as it unloads, which has almost caught me if the bounce goes away from the side that I've got my foot unclipped for - but I've only had to put a hand down once, and that was in the first few times of riding it. I still need to practice sharp u-turns - or at least, as tight as the USS will allow.

Some time ago bought a (cheapish) s/h Hurricane to see how the tiller/seat suited me - at the time I still wasn't entirely sure I'd got the right bike in the Speedmachine, although it ticked all the boxes it still seemed wobblier than I'd remembered the Hurricane being - tho' now I've very happy with it.

But I still need to spend some decent time on the Hurricane to get my head round the tiller. Funny thing is, it was a Hurricane I spent the most time on at London Recumbents, and was riding it pretty well by that point - even doing pretty tight u-turns - I just wasn't sure about the seat at the time, which now I'm pretty sure would have been fine.

« Reply #27 on: 10 January, 2011, 11:00:03 pm »
I think, all things being equal, I'd be more comfortable with lowracers in general.  I'm marginal for the StreetMachine in terms of leg length for getting a foot down, and that really didn't help the learning curve.  I occasionally have moments where I put my foot down on a sloping or low-traction surface and end up doing a very undignified emergency dismount.

One thing I dearly love is never having to unclip. You can also nonchalantly hold your offside hand just off the ground (as though any moment you may need to punt for support) which works wonders in many types of traffic situation. I call it the "Hand of Fear" due to the lane-stopping effect it seems to have on open road following vehicles :)

« Reply #28 on: 10 January, 2011, 11:09:30 pm »
Must say I've never tried that, but it sounds like I should have!!  Will give it a go on the next commute.   ;D
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #29 on: 10 January, 2011, 11:49:12 pm »
It's very powerful for those cars which are just a little "should I or shouldn't I" and you don't want to antagonise too much by riding as wide in the road as you probably ought.

I do palm flat to the ground, and just stick my arm out 6-12" (so that there's no danger you can be thought to indicate right).

Be interested to know if it's universal or a local phenomenon!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #30 on: 11 January, 2011, 12:06:12 am »
I think, all things being equal, I'd be more comfortable with lowracers in general.

One thing I dearly love is never having to unclip.

Ah, so logically I *need* a lowracer to save stress on my knee from all that unclipping...   ;D

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #31 on: 11 January, 2011, 01:30:41 am »
Thanks for your replies chaps.

I work in London so have been down to Bikefix for a look and a quick chat. Might go along to the test day next week to have a go on the Rapto if Mrs Chris isn't working. AlsoI guess the inevitable trip to Little Thetford would be in order at some point as well.....

Edinburgh Fixed - why are you not completely in love with your Raptobike? Have you been on any long distance rides? I'm planning on using mine for Audax.

Rich - how do you find your Bachetta for audaxing? A giro 26 is on my list.

I find it very good, and it has worked well for most of my rides. The first one I had broke but I put that down to my 16st hitting potholes on it  ;D
I was looking at getting a Baron or something low myself and didn't like the look of the high racers. Being the trend over this side of the pond we tend to go for the low ones, But after trying the giro I went with that. It is surprisingly fast even for me, I've managed over 30kph avg for a 300 on it and I'm not a racing snake.

And again repeating what is up thread, Get out and try as many as you can before you decide to buy though.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #32 on: 11 January, 2011, 09:17:46 am »
I bought my Grasshopper from Bikefix, and my first ride on it was across london to Liverpool st station. On reflection, I think this was not a good idea! Still me, and the Gh are happy together now. Just need a new chain ring.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #33 on: 11 January, 2011, 10:45:29 am »
It's very powerful for those cars which are just a little "should I or shouldn't I" and you don't want to antagonise too much by riding as wide in the road as you probably ought.

I do palm flat to the ground, and just stick my arm out 6-12" (so that there's no danger you can be thought to indicate right).

Be interested to know if it's universal or a local phenomenon!

I duz that on my Speedmachine.  I've even been known to do it on a Kingcycle, but this requires one to have the arms of two separate gorillas.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

recumbentim

• Only 6 SR,s No hyper yet
« Reply #34 on: 14 January, 2011, 10:42:37 pm »
I would vote for Giro Att frameset with 700c wheels and carbon  seat  cos thats what I got now.
32 Audaxes last season and loads a comfy miles.

« Reply #35 on: 15 January, 2011, 08:22:25 pm »
I'm geared up to join the ride, darck hair, glasses, burrows SL if anyone else is there, will answer to Peter C

« Reply #36 on: 15 January, 2011, 10:59:29 pm »
I am an utter noob, but having had the tryout session with Kevin, I'd say it's a must to try a load of bikes rather than just rely on what others say. For instance, I found the Bachetta handling almost telepathic - literally no learning curve for me. In contrast, others have described it as nervous. Also, Kevin is brilliant company if you don't take life too seriously. When I have money for a 'bent, he'll be getting it.

mAsTa RiDaH

« Reply #37 on: 20 January, 2011, 08:30:25 pm »
I am an utter noob, but having had the tryout session with Kevin, I'd say it's a must to try a load of bikes rather than just rely on what others say. For instance, I found the Bachetta handling almost telepathic - literally no learning curve for me. In contrast, others have described it as nervous. Also, Kevin is brilliant company if you don't take life too seriously. When I have money for a 'bent, he'll be getting it.

He's sound he is. Never met the chap but was on the phone to him for about 30 mins a few months ago talking low racers. Did not buy mine off of him but did listen to what he had to say.

sprogs

• from your big sister, Steve.
« Reply #38 on: 13 February, 2011, 12:12:12 pm »
I've had quite a few different 'bents over the years and the biggest difference I've found has been suspension. Comfort seems to take me much further than lightweight. I'd suggest you try at least one or two with suspension of some sort, at least of the seat, you can't stand up over potholes after all. At the moment I'm rebuilding an old Burley Limbo with rear sus', it's the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden and goes like the proverbial. Worth looking at secondhand.

Wothill

• over the hills and far away
« Reply #39 on: 13 February, 2011, 03:15:17 pm »
Yes another vote for Kevin here.

The main 3 recumbent riders last year were all on Giro's I believe.

Meaning riders looking for AUK points? If so, do you have to declare your recumbent riding before hand to be recognised?

very sorry to hijack the thread. I'll stop it now

« Reply #40 on: 13 February, 2011, 07:20:11 pm »
And if not, what place will 25 points get me?
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #41 on: 14 February, 2011, 10:49:58 am »
Meaning riders looking for AUK points? If so, do you have to declare your recumbent riding before hand to be recognised?

No, you just send your claim to Nev on your own good honour.  I see from the latest AUK Handbook that the wretched Mr Forrest has beaten my old recumbent points record, the horrible horrible get :thumbsup:

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #42 on: 14 February, 2011, 11:32:21 am »
Yes  8) but I actually got 82 not 80 as stated on that page ;D

Does this mean you are going to come out of retirement and grab it back  :D

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #43 on: 14 February, 2011, 12:38:19 pm »
Yes  8) but I actually got 82 not 80 as stated on that page ;D

Does this mean you are going to come out of retirement and grab it back  :D

Not this year...

Wothill

« Reply #44 on: 14 February, 2011, 03:18:03 pm »

No, you just send your claim to Nev on your own good honour.  I see from the latest AUK Handbook that the wretched Mr Forrest has beaten my old recumbent points record, the horrible horrible get :thumbsup:
Thanks. Definitely a case for a comeback then, Mr Larrington, by the sound of it. Mind you the 50 points I got last year made me realise what a lot of riding it involves, and the organisation to turn every possible ride into one that gets points.

« Reply #45 on: 03 March, 2011, 09:46:24 pm »
Dunno if you guys did indeed get the 'bent you want.....but if not I have a nice Bacchetta Cafe for sale.  PM if interested.
ICE Classic NT
3 Speed Langster
ICE B1
Thorn "Dog bike"
Kickback Retro.

Wothill

« Reply #46 on: 05 March, 2011, 07:49:56 pm »
Anyone here tried Performer bents? They certainly seem to be budget priced and have an interesting looking set of high racers. From a thread on bentrideronline, it seems that the seat angle is rather too laid back for most but people have devised ways of raising it.