Author Topic: Villagers outraged by low rider’s antics - Telegraph  (Read 11212 times)

spindrift

Re: Villagers outraged by low rider’s antics - Telegraph
« Reply #25 on: 30 October, 2012, 12:57:22 pm »
Stanton is effectively saying anyone he doesn't like on the roads deserves to get killed. His comments are bread and butter to the minority of drivers who use their vehicles to bully and intimidate. I hope Michael Stanton is killed in a freak bread-making incident.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #26 on: 30 October, 2012, 01:00:02 pm »
Rob Hague has an Evo now but a few months ago (March) had a run in with a tractor on his Glyde.
The tractor had a sharp edge sticking out the side and as they past each other in opposite directions it cut into the side of the Glyde very close to his head.
There are pic's on his FB page.

Rich

spindrift

« Reply #27 on: 30 October, 2012, 01:09:10 pm »
The newspaper report says the cyclist collided with the tractor, so that is shocking, irresponsible journalism that could encourage violence.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 30 October, 2012, 01:12:55 pm »
The newspaper report says the cyclist collided with the tractor, so that is shocking, irresponsible journalism that could encourage violence.

But it also said the cyclist was claiming for damages, making it an obvious "not the whole story" situation.

spindrift

« Reply #29 on: 30 October, 2012, 01:25:50 pm »
The tractor driver appears to have driven into a cyclist then claimed he was "out of control".

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #30 on: 30 October, 2012, 01:27:31 pm »
Because only motorists are allowed to have expensive, easily damaged vehicles.  Or something.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #31 on: 30 October, 2012, 01:35:37 pm »
Local paper article on the story says that the SNF laughed at Mr Stanton's story, so I do wonder how much support he actually has: -

http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/News/Flat-out-cyclist-gets-backs-up-at-area-forum-meeting-26102012.htm

Also from the same article: -

“We see a lot of cyclists on the road and it’s not a problem because we keep out of their way and they keep out of ours" [snip]

I can't remember many drivers 'keeping out of my way' when I'm cycling. Trying to intimidate me into getting out of there's I have experienced enough though.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: 30 October, 2012, 02:07:27 pm »
“If it had been one second later I would have killed him. If he gets killed it probably serves him right, but the problem is, he may end up killing or injuring someone else.”

What a dick.

Can't we organise a BHPC style meet up there one weekend?  I've not had a trip away on The Red Baron for ages  :demon:
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

spindrift

« Reply #33 on: 30 October, 2012, 02:13:31 pm »
Stanton's apologised for that bit apparently.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #34 on: 30 October, 2012, 02:14:54 pm »
I can't find where this press release that he supposedly appologised in is though.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #35 on: 30 October, 2012, 02:15:04 pm »
There is a camp site here http://www.virtualtenby.co.uk/camping.asp?CampSite=Hill%20Farm%20Caravan%20&%20Camping%20Site&phonenumber=Moor%20Lane%20%20Barrow%20On%20Trent%20Derbyshire and Repton is quite conveniently situated only a short distance form the Mercian factory and the breweries at Burton-uopn-Trent.

I can't think why anyone would want to go there.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #36 on: 30 October, 2012, 02:17:23 pm »
Oh, *that* Repton.

Last time I went there, I was onna upwrong.  Letting the side down, I know.

spindrift

« Reply #37 on: 30 October, 2012, 02:25:07 pm »
I can't find where this press release that he supposedly appologised in is though.

Me neither. Crappy journalsim too, they seem to be blocking comments.

« Reply #38 on: 30 October, 2012, 02:29:05 pm »
“If it had been one second later I would have killed him. If he gets killed it probably serves him right, but the problem is, he may end up killing or injuring someone else.”

What a dick.

Can't we organise a BHPC style meet up there one weekend?  I've not had a trip away on The Red Baron for ages  :demon:

Make sure the media know. It'll be an ideal opportunity to challenge stereotypes about cyclists and especially recumbent riders.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #39 on: 30 October, 2012, 02:29:27 pm »
Last time I went to Repton, it did Sno.
Getting there...

« Reply #40 on: 30 October, 2012, 02:35:14 pm »
Repton CM anybody?

Chris N

« Reply #41 on: 30 October, 2012, 02:42:37 pm »
I can't think why anyone would want to go there.

There is a rather nice pub that serves good beer and very good pizzas.  It's also quite convenient to ride through Repton on my way to other, more pleasant, places as it means I can avoid going through Burton.  I've only been through there once on my 'bent, so I don't think it's me they're talking about.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #42 on: 30 October, 2012, 02:49:00 pm »
I notice in his bio-pic that Cllr Stanton is a farmer. This is probably foil hat territory but you do wonder who this unamed farmer who is in dispute with the recumbent rider after a collision is :demon:

« Reply #43 on: 30 October, 2012, 02:53:58 pm »
And how was Stanton Leaving his drive? Was he by any chancereversing into the highway? I think we should be told.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #44 on: 30 October, 2012, 02:57:03 pm »
As he saw the flag over his bonnet I'll take an educated guess he was leaving forwards.

« Reply #45 on: 30 October, 2012, 03:04:04 pm »
As he saw the flag over his bonnet I'll take an educated guess he was leaving forwards.

I shouldn't jump to conclusions!

spindrift

« Reply #46 on: 30 October, 2012, 06:03:11 pm »
Among those responding to the councillor’s comments via the Mail website was a reader posting as ‘Chris’, who said Councillor Stanton’s comments showed ‘there is no place whatsoever for him in politics’.
He said: “It says it all for the backwards attitude of motorists around this part of the world that a legitimate road user can be subject to such abuse that they feel the need to be filmed for their own protection.
“I suspect that pick-up trucks, often driven by individuals whose motoring skills are less than adequate, kill more than their fair share of people.” Another reader, posting as ‘Dave H’, said: “If the forward visibility of the pickup truck described by Councillor Stanton is so poor, then he needs to be very careful emerging from a premises over a footway, as a small child running across would be equally ‘unseen’.”
A reader describing himself as ‘concerned’ said: “This bike would be the same height as a child and surely if the councillor was following the highway code and looking up the road before pulling out he would have seen the rider.
“Blaming the cyclist and wishing him dead are not the sort of opinions (I would expect from) an elected official.”
Jon Dumelow said the cyclist had every right to be on the road, adding: “While driving yesterday I stopped for a cat venturing onto the road and it is a quarter of the size of a recumbent cycle.
“I reacted in plenty of time and slowed down. No doubt in Michael Stanton’s eyes it would serve it right to have died, if I wasn’t careful.” Reader David Hudson said the Safer Neighbourhood meeting sounded like ‘something from The Wicker Man’ — the cult film in which a Scottish police officer investigating a murder encounters a suspicious and insular pagan island community.
After the story was published in Saturday’s Mail, Councillor Stanton issued the following statement: “I represent the Repton ward on South Derbyshire District Council and concerns were raised to me about how difficult it is for some motorists who spot a recumbent cyclists using local roads.
“Having struggled to see the man while driving my own vehicle it was only right to raise the matter at the Safer Neighbourhood meeting.
“However, after my words were reported in the Burton Mail I realise they could have been conveyed in a more appropriate way. If anyone took offence, I would like to say sorry — I had the best of intentions at heart.
“My priority was and still is the safety of cyclists and other road users and that is of paramount importance to me and everyone else in the village. I will continue to work closely with the police and other local authorities to protect the welfare of our residents.”

http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/News/Cyclist-remarks-are-met-with-barrage-of-criticism-29102012.htm

Crap driver wishes death on other people then concedes he could have expressed his views better.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #47 on: 30 October, 2012, 06:15:16 pm »
Oh, *that* Repton.

Last time I went there, I was onna upwrong.  Letting the side down, I know.
Derbyshire. Not a part of the world I know much - though I hear it's beautiful and I really should visit - but I do know that much. And I can't find evidence of another Repton, so which Repton were you thinking of?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #48 on: 30 October, 2012, 06:48:55 pm »
I've never been particularly keen on getting myself a recumbent, but now I know they annoy some people even more than regular bicycles I'm seriously considering it. Looking at the posts over at Road cc they seem to irk roadies a bit too.

Bonus.

« Reply #49 on: 30 October, 2012, 07:25:10 pm »
Looking at the posts over at Road cc they seem to irk roadies a bit too.

Inadequate lot   :o
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.