Author Topic: To Birmingham travel options?  (Read 1242 times)

To Birmingham travel options?
« on: 17 February, 2020, 11:45:17 am »
mini ao (with giant portfolio case) has a forthcoming course interview at a non-convenient 9.30am in Birmingham city centre.  Train for two = £160 120 from Oxford.  I've also discovered that Birmingham apears to have NO park&ride locations.  Any good options for drop off in the burbs and then bus into centre?  Anything else?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
Re: To Birmingham travel options?
« Reply #1 on: 17 February, 2020, 11:48:34 am »
What trains have you found?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #2 on: 17 February, 2020, 12:16:14 pm »
Expensive outbound commuter train (Nat Rail Enq) to BNS, plus a 15 min walk . 

« Reply #4 on: 17 February, 2020, 12:30:07 pm »
I'm assuming mini ao is over 16. How about Cross Country to Leamington - this Wednesday, for example, 7.39 getting in at 8.14 and returning at 17.00 for £57.40 for 2 adults. Then Chiltern Railways into Birmingham Moor Street for c.£22.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #5 on: 17 February, 2020, 01:03:40 pm »

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 17 February, 2020, 01:31:24 pm »
There are some rail P&R options
https://www.networkwestmidlands.com/ways-to-travel/driving/park-and-ride/

Yes, you can park and drive from most of the local rail stations.

I reckon the Chiltern Line is a better plan, though.  You don't want to be driving around the Wet Midlands Conurbation at morning o'clock.

« Reply #7 on: 17 February, 2020, 02:06:13 pm »
Thanks all, very helpful.

Probably going to go for:
Car to Banbury
Chiltern railways to BirmMS return 
Banbury to Oxf train. ~£5 ea

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 17 February, 2020, 06:03:03 pm »
The Chiltern Line trains may also go to Snow Hill, if that's a more useful destination.  (Probably not for BCU, might be for some bits of Aston.)

« Reply #9 on: 18 February, 2020, 04:42:52 pm »
Good point! I wanted to get to Digbeth last week and my short cut across the car park at Moor Street to Freeman St was thwarted; a) because there are building site boards up everywhere and b) because Freeman Street doesn't exist any more! The factory I worked at in the late-70s is obliterated and several other roads have been wiped off the map for HS2. Snow Hill is definitely better for Aston Uni now.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.