Author Topic: Open VPN help needed  (Read 615 times)

Open VPN help needed
« on: 18 November, 2011, 05:26:40 pm »
OK, I need to set up an open VPN tunnel between a router & a server (currently an Amazon EC2 virtual appliance)

I have the certificates & have imported them into the router but I cannot get the tunnel to build.

Has anyone got a really simple explanation that may help?? The router manufacturer has one but it's in Engrish & has errors! The Open VPN guides don't help either  :(

Cheers.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Open VPN help needed
« Reply #1 on: 18 November, 2011, 06:55:47 pm »
A quick answer to your question is no, there isn't an idiots guide to it :)

I spent the best part of a month this year getting a tunnel working between a Linux server and a Cisco router.  The biggest problem I had is that they changed the config options, but had not documented them!

I will see if I can find my notes for you.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #2 on: 18 November, 2011, 06:57:41 pm »
Cheers, anything will help!

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3 on: 18 November, 2011, 08:06:04 pm »
Looking through it they changed the config parameters of leftsubnet and rightsubnet.

The documentation, as far as I am aware, has still not caught up.

http://www.techsmog.com/index.php/2011/05/03/openswan-amazon-vpc-and-cisco-asa-putting-it-all-together/ gives a better idea, but basically you can no longer use the %priv, but have to explicitly define left and right.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State