Author Topic: Mersey Roads '09  (Read 37645 times)

gonzo

Re: Mersey Roads '09
« Reply #25 on: 07 April, 2009, 07:36:31 pm »
Consider getting a coach? You can get one from £30 a month if you've got lots of money kicking around!

« Reply #26 on: 07 April, 2009, 08:48:32 pm »
there is no corect way to train for the 24.
traditionally training for ultra events seems to consist of riding lots and lots of miles. This on its own will allow you to ride for along time but not necesserally with a good high pace. Once you have a good level of fitness  you need to push up your top speed and you wont achieve this with lots of long miles. For me, shorter distance time trialing or track racing seems a good way to push up the top speed. Interval training!

For the 24 hour, start with a higher average speed than you need to achieve a realistic goal. Try to hold average speed whilst understanding that it will gradually fall. Your actual speed will go up and down as you move round the circuits depending on wind direction.

Ride smoothly and consistantly without straining muscles too early and keep smiling

gonzo

« Reply #27 on: 07 April, 2009, 10:22:15 pm »

Plenty of incorrect ways though!

« Reply #28 on: 08 April, 2009, 07:07:18 pm »
on a tandem for example

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #29 on: 08 April, 2009, 07:40:17 pm »
Or in the pub.  :)

« Reply #30 on: 08 April, 2009, 10:51:37 pm »

Plenty of incorrect ways though!

Roy Cormack, who held the Brittish record from 1969 to 1997 used to train by riding 25 miles flat out twice a day. Once in the morning and again in the afternoon. He only rode one or two long rides, which were about 200 miles, as part of his training.
Speed is very important for a good 24 hour ride.
I think that miles are good and help you learn how to get comfortable and how to ride for 24 hours.
But all the big hitters in the 24s are always fast at the shorter events too.
Andy Wilkinson (current record holder) held every Brittish record from 50 miles to 24 hours all at the same time.
Gethin Butler came from a background of racing.
If it was all about doing the miles, then I would do much better than I do now. The distance is no issue for me, but the speed is. But if I've done the miles and am not too tired at the start, I am usualy much faster than my closest matched riders on the finishing circuit. Miles are very good for your strength, but not great for your speed.
It's a matter of finding the balance. My scales are tipped heavily in favour of strength, but my speed is very poor. (PB for a 24 is 443, PB for a 25 is 1:03, but that was 16 years ago and I've lost some speed since then and I haven't ridden a TT shorter than 12 hours since 1995, except for a hill climb)

Really Ancien

« Reply #31 on: 09 April, 2009, 12:41:45 pm »
The top riders have top support, they get lots of feedback, their support follows them round the course and they get fed regularly. It's unlikely that any support you could muster would be able to cope well with a 24 the first time out. They'd need to support you on a 100 and at least one 12 to get into the rhythm of it. Supporting a 24 is very much like a 12, but the problems ramp up at night, the rider has to recognise the support vehice and the rider has to be identifiable, this is usually done with a unique lighting arrangement, then there's the sleep deprivation.

Damon.

« Reply #32 on: 03 June, 2009, 09:24:25 pm »
So
anybody entered yet???

Just filled my entry form in and off to the post box now.

Better start doing some riding I suppose 

« Reply #33 on: 03 June, 2009, 10:20:47 pm »
Not yet, it's on my todo.

I started ramping up the miles a few weeks ago, and am doing well. Got a bit of a heel issue but i seem to be ok riding through it.

« Reply #34 on: 04 June, 2009, 05:08:05 pm »
you've started training already?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #35 on: 05 June, 2009, 09:36:53 am »
I don't think he's entered yet, but the guy I pinched the club record off is training for a rematch.

Luckily I have LEL as an excuse to not support him.

(n.b. he's about 100 years older than me. So a fair fight I'd say.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #36 on: 05 June, 2009, 03:31:52 pm »
Does anyone know anything further about East Sussex CA's potential plans to hold a 24 in 2011, as mentioned by Martin earlier in this thread?

« Reply #37 on: 10 June, 2009, 11:40:10 am »
So
anybody entered yet???

Just filled my entry form in and off to the post box now.

Better start doing some riding I suppose 

Just put mine in the post.  Better do some training now...

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

Really Ancien

« Reply #38 on: 10 June, 2009, 01:37:58 pm »
I had a word with Jose Pinon Shaw and he's started doing 100 mile rides at night to train for the hard bit. it's important to remember that  main road riding is the best training for 24s, there's a tendency for Audaxes to be hilly and on lanes. When Audax first started there was a big crossover between 24s and Brevets, so to our eyes the early rides look flat and on dangerous roads, but the type of riding was very similar to the constant pace of a 24. Riding straight up the A6 to Carlisle from Southport and back via Cockermouth is the kind of thing that went out of fashion, but it was very relevant long TT training. The Daylight is also good.

Damon.

« Reply #39 on: 10 June, 2009, 02:01:48 pm »
Yep riding Southport (well crosby) --> Lancaster --> Southport is one of my planned training loops for a nice flat 100 miles.

« Reply #40 on: 11 June, 2009, 10:23:14 pm »
Is Jose riding it this year then?

I'd love to do some night training but I figure it's important to get lots of sleep before the event, that's sort of preperation if not training isn't it?

Really Ancien

« Reply #41 on: 12 June, 2009, 12:29:30 pm »

That's what he told me, but that was the plan last year, he even entered, but got carried away with 100s when he hit a string of form in them.

Damon.

« Reply #42 on: 15 June, 2009, 10:32:43 pm »

That's what he told me, but that was the plan last year, he even entered, but got carried away with 100s when he hit a string of form in them.

Damon.

He's a hard b*stard. He always looks like he's trying too hard for the first 100 miles or so.
He'd do well to do better than he allready does!

I haven't entered.
Yet.

I don't think he's entered yet, but the guy I pinched the club record off is training for a rematch.

Luckily I have LEL as an excuse to not support him.

(n.b. he's about 100 years older than me. So a fair fight I'd say.)

Ian H?

Runs away... :D

« Reply #43 on: 15 June, 2009, 11:21:58 pm »
I would reply, but I'm ignoring this thread.

« Reply #44 on: 16 June, 2009, 12:43:50 pm »
One question about pacing. In a controlled environment, you'd be ideally putting in a constant effort and getting out a constant speed for 24 hours (ignoring general fatigue and loss of energy)

In the real world, should i be trying to maintain a constant speed (pushing a bit harder on hills and when the wind is less favourable, resting a bit on descents etc)  or should i be focussing more on keeping a more constant level of power and HR??

What are peoples opinions?

Cheers

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #45 on: 16 June, 2009, 12:52:24 pm »
In the real world, should i be trying to maintain a constant speed (pushing a bit harder on hills and when the wind is less favourable, resting a bit on descents etc)  or should i be focussing more on keeping a more constant level of power and HR??
The latter.

(as a first approximation - we could debate the finer points ad nauseum - who'd like to start?)

You might want to consider how you'll go at night. If the dark slows you down, maybe build that into your schedule so you don't get demoralised. If it's hot, you may find you can go harder at night - YMMV. (I'm pretty sure everyone picks up as dawn makes itself known).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

gonzo

« Reply #46 on: 16 June, 2009, 01:59:53 pm »
In the real world, should i be trying to maintain a constant speed (pushing a bit harder on hills and when the wind is less favourable, resting a bit on descents etc)  or should i be focussing more on keeping a more constant level of power and HR??

What are peoples opinions?

For shorter distance, go for option 1). for longer distance, I'd say go for 2). Having said that I got sufficiently bored in my last 12 that I started sprinting for sign posts!

« Reply #47 on: 16 June, 2009, 02:20:48 pm »
Cheers. I know it's not one policy or the other, but a mixture. Sticking to the latter will help ensure i can still ride many hours down the road, but loses you a little time.

I got sufficiently bored in my last 12 that I started sprinting for sign posts!

That was another question. Are MP3 players (in one ear) prohibited from TTs in the RTTC / CTT rules?? Was thinking i could catch up with some "In our time" podcasts whilst completeing the event   ;) (well not quite, thinking of something with more uplifting, with some rhythm)

« Reply #48 on: 16 June, 2009, 02:39:22 pm »
That was another question. Are MP3 players (in one ear) prohibited from TTs in the RTTC / CTT rules?? Was thinking i could catch up with some "In our time" podcasts whilst completeing the event   ;) (well not quite, thinking of something with more uplifting, with some rhythm)

mp3 players with headphones are banned (even in one ear). Not sure if lashing some speakers to the bike would be ok though. At least you could share the music/podcast with other riders. :)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #49 on: 16 June, 2009, 04:10:30 pm »
There is nothing in the CTT rules to prevent you carrying as many speakers, batteries and related paraphernalia on your bike in the 24,provided it is roadworthy and safe.If you want to have something stuck in your ear it will have to be a hearing aid and must convince me it is legit.

Chief time keeper and event controller,MRC24 (and occ health physician)