Author Topic: Why do MTB hlelmets have a visor ?  (Read 12242 times)

keeks

• shooting from the hip ... because I am
Why do MTB hlelmets have a visor ?
« on: 27 May, 2011, 10:49:28 am »
So I've just had a bad off and hit the deck at speed I took a blow to the head and the helmet done the job ( its a right off now) but in doing so the visor bent back and cut me badly just to the side of the eye. Admittedly this is conjecture as it happened so fast but someone witnessed it and was sure that was what happened.

Recovering now , but it did get me thinking why do they have visors and not roadie ones? I liked the visor as it kept the sun off. But apart from that I couldn't work out why a MTB would have it . Sure some roadies would be concerned with drag. But for the vast majority a visor might be a good thing. Although after my experience my next helmet will not have a visor whether on my MTB or road bike.

Re: Why do MTB hlelmets have a visor ?
« Reply #1 on: 27 May, 2011, 10:53:40 am »
Keeping the sun out of your eyes is key for offroading due to the extra amount of concentration needed for the knarly bits.   Also, it helps reduce the effect of rippling sunlight through trees etc.

I wear a peaked helmet specifically for keeping the sun out of my eyes.   The debate about caps has been done elsewhere.   I had one off and I wasn't really sure whether it was the visor or my shades that cut me around my right eye.   The tarmac scraped far more skin off my cheek, chin, shoulder, hand and thigh though  :o   

« Reply #2 on: 27 May, 2011, 11:08:21 am »
Also, it helps reduce the effect of rippling sunlight through trees etc.

That's a good point. I generally don't like anything on my head (except pink hats  :P ) so wear sunglasses. This means I'm constantly removing them, putting them back on as the light changes so frequently in woodland. And of course they just fall off when I go a bit mental. A peak of some sort would be a good idea...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #3 on: 27 May, 2011, 11:11:40 am »

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #4 on: 27 May, 2011, 11:17:20 am »
It's so you can easily spot Freds/Gringos on a group ride on the road (see also: tri-bars).

keeks

« Reply #5 on: 27 May, 2011, 11:20:36 am »
Keeping the sun out of your eyes is key for offroading due to the extra amount of concentration needed for the knarly bits.   Also, it helps reduce the effect of rippling sunlight through trees etc.

Yes indeed that is a good point and maybe the trade off I will need to make. That said they maybe helmets with moulded visors as opposed to the clip on ones.

Hope your off hasn't effected you in anyway 8)

« Reply #6 on: 27 May, 2011, 05:50:06 pm »
I hope you're ok.
I removed the clip on visor from my helmet and wear a cap. Mostly because it helps my helmet get less smelly as I can wash the cap quite easily.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 27 May, 2011, 07:37:24 pm »
I remember when visors came in.  One point which hasn't been made so far is that it enables manufacturers to sell two helmets to riders who do both road and MTB.  Cunning.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #8 on: 27 May, 2011, 09:02:04 pm »
Indeed so.  I recall when buying my current helmet (Giro Havoc) spotting an identical styled lid except for colour scheme and lack of black plastic visor.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 27 May, 2011, 09:58:40 pm »
TGL's lid has a visor which is very easily removed. 

btw, Keeks, hope you're not too badly hurt.
Getting there...

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #10 on: 27 May, 2011, 10:02:20 pm »
The extended visor-like shape on my lid houses the first of three periscope mirrors.
[/stuck record]
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #11 on: 28 May, 2011, 01:30:12 am »
I find that the peak for mine blocks the view when riding on the drops, but isn't a problem on my flat bar bikes. Wonder if that's why road bike ones don't have them
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Steve Kish

• World's No. 1 moaner about the weather.
« Reply #12 on: 28 May, 2011, 10:52:35 am »
I thought the visors were a 'mud in your eye' thang. ???
Old enough to know better!

« Reply #13 on: 28 May, 2011, 10:57:52 am »
They keep branches out your eyes when you're doing singletrack in trees.

I kept the detachable peak on mine even though 99.76% of my riding is on-road these days. I care not that it makes me look like a n00b amateur, I hate wearing glasses and it keeps sun/rain out of my eyes.
(I'd probably wear a cap except on me I think it'd look like an affectation, and I have quite a lot of hair).

« Reply #14 on: 28 May, 2011, 06:34:31 pm »
(I'd probably wear a cap except on me I think it'd look like an affectation, and I have quite a lot of hair).

Ah yes, the cap also means i don't get helmet vent pattern sunburn where I don't have so much hair.

« Reply #15 on: 28 May, 2011, 07:03:31 pm »

Ah yes, the cap also means i don't get helmet vent pattern sunburn where I don't have so much hair.

I get helmet vent pattern tan on my forehead, if I'm not careful  :facepalm:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 28 May, 2011, 08:06:47 pm »

They make me look spectacularly silly.  But I already looked silly, and it turns out that they're rather good at hair/rain/sunburn management.   :-\

keeks

« Reply #17 on: 31 May, 2011, 11:28:58 am »
TGL's lid has a visor which is very easily removed. 

btw, Keeks, hope you're not too badly hurt.

Thanks did some road miles over weekend and have come into work, gotta keep fitness up for PBP.

nonumbnuts

• nonumbnuts
« Reply #18 on: 06 October, 2013, 03:05:03 pm »

Ha, you have to ask  ;)
What goes up must come down...all the crud thrown up by the rear wheels in front. When it gets a bit, well, mud storm'ish, tipping your face forward a bit means the visor catches most of what you face would  ;D
MTB's are by definition a lot slower than road bikes but the knobby tyres chuck up great clods of undersirable stuff when the going is a bit sloppy.
No problem if you are out in front mind  :thumbsup:

Riding in a pack of road bikes without guards in the rain is not really the same as the water is chucked up in a stream - peak or no peak you wear it but I see some road helmets now with full face visors. Not my cup of tea but may work for some.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #19 on: 06 October, 2013, 05:28:46 pm »
They keep branches out your eyes when you're doing singletrack in trees.

I kept the detachable peak on mine even though 99.76% of my riding is on-road these days. I care not that it makes me look like a n00b amateur, I hate wearing glasses and it keeps sun/rain out of my eyes.

+1 

I don't bother removing the peak for most of my road rides

« Reply #20 on: 06 October, 2013, 06:53:47 pm »
I now have 2 helmets, one for road, one for MTB.
Both have peaks. :)