Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 225658 times)

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #25 on: 01 October, 2010, 11:38:42 am »
No, not really into Leftfield that much. I have Leftism (but that's dated badly) and love Phat Planet but that's about it.

To be honest, getting a bit too old for "dance" gigs.
a great mind thinks alike

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #26 on: 01 October, 2010, 11:40:35 am »
Ermmmm - I think it might have been the Billy Bragg '86 Red Wedge gig in Embra, but it was all a long time ago so I could very well be wrong.  
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #27 on: 01 October, 2010, 11:45:18 am »
1982 or 83, Rory Gallagher at Colston Hall in Bristol.

Too loud - I could not "hear" the new material so only enjoyed the older stuff.  Good to see people of my generation (32 at that time), long time Rory fans in the seats upstairs, and a younger generation downstairs.

I am sure I saw Rory in the pub an hour or so before going on stage.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #28 on: 01 October, 2010, 12:01:27 pm »
Rammstein 3/2/10 absolute quality, can't wait for them to come back  :thumbsup:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #29 on: 01 October, 2010, 12:09:22 pm »
Robyn Hitchcock back in April.  Supported by wotisname who used to be in the Incredible String Band, er,

(Googles)

Mike Heron.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #30 on: 01 October, 2010, 01:56:41 pm »
The Ukelele Orchestra of Great Britain, last Saturday.  Good fun, especially their rendition of Teenage Kicks  :thumbsup:

Looking forward to Joe Jackson playing London sometime in the autumn - no dates announced yet but he's in Europe on October...
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #31 on: 01 October, 2010, 03:16:58 pm »
The Might Be Giants at the Royal Festival Hall back in June as part of the Royal Society and the South Bank Centre's Festival of Science + Arts.

A barnstorming performance as ever from a band that must have been gigging pretty much continuously since the early 80s.

« Reply #32 on: 01 October, 2010, 03:19:20 pm »
Half Man Half Biscuit in Bilston.

It was an "I was there" type of gig, as Dean Friedman came on stage and did a song as a riposte to The Bastard Son of Dean Friedman - followed, of course, by said song. Amazing!

They don't gig often, but it's worth a trip to see them.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #33 on: 01 October, 2010, 04:11:44 pm »
I recollect seeing The Beatles at Trentham Gardens,very early '60s.
I also saw Marc Bolan & T. Rex with mrs.jogler but have forgotten the venue & exact year

« Reply #34 on: 02 October, 2010, 11:43:45 am »
Half Man Half Biscuit in Bilston.

It was an "I was there" type of gig, as Dean Friedman came on stage and did a song as a riposte to The Bastard Son of Dean Friedman - followed, of course, by said song. Amazing!

They don't gig often, but it's worth a trip to see them.

And I'm going to see them in Durham in November!  I was really pleased they added the Durham date, as I was trying to work out how to get to Holmfirth and back, which would have been an epic journey involving trains, bikes, four different route planners and a farmer carting his wares to ye olde market (probably).

« Reply #35 on: 02 October, 2010, 01:44:11 pm »
I saw them in Leamington - 3 miles away - in January, and did an overnighter in Cambridge in late March, so I've got 3 gigs under me belt this year. The ones later in the year are a bit trickier to get to seeing as they're all oop north...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #36 on: 02 October, 2010, 01:51:12 pm »
Joey and the Deacons last Thursday in York. Some old mates of mine having a bit of a laugh. They even have a theramin which is pretty unique for a garage rock band.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #37 on: 02 October, 2010, 02:04:25 pm »
Almost a year ago now, Alabama 3.

ALABAMA 3

« Reply #38 on: 02 October, 2010, 04:06:32 pm »
One of the worst gigs ive ever seen was Alabama 3, about ten years go. They weren't making an effort.
I didn't stay to the end.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #40 on: 02 October, 2010, 08:52:09 pm »
Went to Trowbridge and saw lots of great bands .The Ukelele band were amongst them their rendition of Teenage Dirtbag was brilliant .
Bellowhead stole the show natch.
Going to see the Levellers in Nov :)

« Reply #41 on: 03 October, 2010, 01:56:48 pm »
I saw them in Leamington - 3 miles away - in January, and did an overnighter in Cambridge in late March, so I've got 3 gigs under me belt this year. The ones later in the year are a bit trickier to get to seeing as they're all oop north...

That's why I was so pleased to see a Durham gig added - much less far to travel, and I might even be able to catch the last train, if Nigel wants to scarper for a quick cuppa before bed.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #42 on: 04 October, 2010, 11:36:17 am »

That's why I was so pleased to see a Durham gig added - much less far to travel, and I might even be able to catch the last train, if Nigel wants to scarper for a quick cuppa before bed.

Just hope that nb57 has recovered from his laryngitis by then - last night's gig in Preston was cancelled.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Androcles

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #43 on: 04 October, 2010, 11:59:10 pm »
Not a gig as such, but went with Mrs A. last week to see "The Johnny Cash Story" performed by a chap called Roger Dean.  Wife is the long-time JC fan, but I've been slowly warming to his music - even had Ring of Fire as a ringtone.

Last "proper" gig would have been Deep Purple at the MK bowl in June 2006
Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into a dream

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #44 on: 05 October, 2010, 01:44:09 pm »
"The Flight of the Arctic Tern"

before that a local festival I helped organise, and before that, probably REM, Radiohead, Cranberries, Someone Else at the MK Bowl.

It is simpler than it looks.

groucho

• Humph!!
« Reply #45 on: 05 October, 2010, 02:47:21 pm »
The Felice Brothers at the Thelka, Bristol. 6 September.

Next up LCD Soundsystem in November CIA Cardiff, unless something else catches my eye. Is Sonja Christina still singing with Curved Air?
cos they play the Globe, soon!
Faith, hope and gluttony.........

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #46 on: 05 October, 2010, 06:16:42 pm »
My son's own stuff apart (now disbanded) don't think I've ever been to such a thing - until a couple of weeks ago when Mrs. Wow and I used up a pair of spare tickets that our daughter had for Eddie Izzard, Reginald D. Hunter & Dylan Moran. They were very good, but given that the day cost me £170 all in, I don't think I'll be repeating the experience.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #47 on: 05 October, 2010, 08:25:18 pm »

Just hope that nb57 has recovered from his laryngitis by then - last night's gig in Preston was cancelled.

He's got until 25th November - hopefully long enough!

simonp

« Reply #48 on: 06 October, 2010, 10:33:39 pm »
KT Tunstall, Thetford Forest

and the next gig will be

KT Tunstall, The Junction, Cambridge, in a couple of weeks.

Looking forwards to seeing Wee Bastard in action again. :)

« Reply #49 on: 26 November, 2010, 01:32:33 pm »

He's got until 25th November - hopefully long enough!

Indeed it was.  They were fab.  Only the fifth time I've seen them, which made me feel a bit of a lightweight when I was at the station chatting to a couple of nutters diehards who were following them around the country.

Durham Live Lounge is a pretty new venue - hopefully there'll be more gigs there in the future, as it's so easy for me to get to  :thumbsup: