Author Topic: Commuter bike suggestions?  (Read 6652 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Commuter bike suggestions?
« on: 11 March, 2018, 03:53:57 pm »
HK's Condor cyclocross commuter bike is at the end of its life and she is looking for a replacement. The current frontrunner is a Kinesis Tripster AT frame but I am concerned that the bottom bracket is a bit high and have no idea what components to fit. She is short, likes light bikes and dislikes monster cassette cogs. Single chainring groups are not an option; almost everything else is up for grabs. The bike needs to be able to mount a rear pannier rack and proper mudguards. Suggestions?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Re: Commuter bike suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: 11 March, 2018, 05:22:40 pm »
Tripster AT will take full mudguards and rear rack, the problem you may have is wheels as it requires 12x100 and 12x142 Thru Axles. Some hubs can be converted from QRs, many can’t.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 11 March, 2018, 05:34:08 pm »
We'll be going for all new kit, so building or buying wheels to suit. She'll want to use it as a foul-weather audax bike too.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #3 on: 11 March, 2018, 08:01:01 pm »
anything with an Alfine

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 11 March, 2018, 08:05:51 pm »
Her foul-weather commuter is a converted MTB with Alfine 11. She was wanting derailleurs and a little more speed for this bike.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 11 March, 2018, 08:39:28 pm »
Someone I know who bought a Ti version of the Tripster a while ago for rides involving a mix of on and off road now uses it for everything, including commuting. He doesn't use a rack though (and doesn't always have mudguards either).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Chris N

« Reply #6 on: 12 March, 2018, 05:44:37 am »
Pinnacle Arkose 3.  Light-ish, available in small sizes with more BB drop than the Tripster AT, full carbon fork, compact double, hydraulic brakes and guard & rack mounts. :thumbsup:  I expect you'd want to change the wheels but everything else looks pretty good.

dim

« Reply #7 on: 12 March, 2018, 09:47:02 am »
Whyte Suffolk, Specilized Diverge, Pinnacle Arkose 4, GT Grade
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

« Reply #8 on: 12 March, 2018, 10:43:47 am »
With HK,s love of campag, this is not going to be easy

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 12 March, 2018, 10:48:00 am »
She went Shimano Ultegra triple for her trike and Campag have systematically removed pretty much any reason to chose it over Shimano, so that isn't a problem anymore. I expect we'll end up at 105 or Ultegra level, which unfortunately means 11sp. Hydraulic disk brakes are a possibility but she is unconvinced about electronic shifting.

Threaded BBs are a must (no creaking) and we don't want dubiously reliable components like Specialized's Future Shock or orphan component standards. There is no need to stay under any arbitrary price limit but the cost:benefit ratio of Ti frames is unlikely to be justified.

We'll be fitting a dynohub wheel to whatever she gets and will use through axles with disk brakes. We'll almost certainly swap the LH crank for something 5mm shorter.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #10 on: 12 March, 2018, 12:18:16 pm »
Fair light Faran?

At the top of my list for a do it all DF bike, can't remember offhand if its qr or through axle.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #11 on: 12 March, 2018, 01:07:42 pm »
Disc brakes! thats blasphemy lol

Personally I would be tempted to get something totally different to what you have had for so long and suggest a Genesis Datum. (and yes I read the BB thing but if you are going disc brakes, just go the whole hog and they were fine on the TCR). 

2pedalz were clearing out stock and I think had some smalls.  Also check Rutland Cycles.

Otherwise the Pinnacle ones from Evans seem to be good vfm.

link to genesis deals

http://www.2pedalz.com/fantastic-genesis-savings.html

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12 on: 12 March, 2018, 01:15:11 pm »
The Pinnacle Arkose 3 Women looks to be close to the mark. Many of the others have unthreaded bottom brackets or a fork QR or their smallest size is too big for HK.

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-arkose-3-2018-womens-adventure-road-bike-EV306250

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #13 on: 12 March, 2018, 01:34:53 pm »
Why not another Condor frame? The Bivio is still available and the fratello (disc) may also suit. They can be light(ish) with careful component choice.

Chris N

« Reply #14 on: 12 March, 2018, 01:46:52 pm »
The Pinnacle Arkose 3 Women looks to be close to the mark. Many of the others have unthreaded bottom brackets or a fork QR or their smallest size is too big for HK.

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-arkose-3-2018-womens-adventure-road-bike-EV306250

:thumbsup:  What do I win? :smug:

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15 on: 12 March, 2018, 01:54:28 pm »
If HK likes your suggestion, a free beer is on the cards. She does like the Mike Hall link with Kinesis though.

I'm not sure what advantage there is in choosing another Condor. The Fratello uses a fork QR and the Bivio seems expensive for what it is.

« Reply #16 on: 12 March, 2018, 02:26:47 pm »
Pinnacle Arkose 3.  Light-ish, available in small sizes with more BB drop than the Tripster AT, full carbon fork, compact double, hydraulic brakes and guard & rack mounts. :thumbsup:  I expect you'd want to change the wheels but everything else looks pretty good.

I've got one of those as a winter/off-road beast. I like it, though it's not light, if that's an issue, and it's quite upright. I believe the current model comes with a 48/32 chainset, rather than the 50/34 that mine (2016 version) has - I wish mine had the super-compact, but never mind. Threaded BB was a factor in my choice, as were hydraulic discs.

Chris N

« Reply #17 on: 13 March, 2018, 10:29:12 am »
If HK likes your suggestion, a free beer is on the cards. She does like the Mike Hall link with Kinesis though.

:thumbsup:  Mike rode a Genesis Datum at some point too, IIRC.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #18 on: 13 March, 2018, 11:33:59 am »
I expect we'll end up at 105 or Ultegra level, which unfortunately means 11sp.

Don't rule out Tiagra - it's a perfectly good option if you'd rather stick with 10-speed.

(I had the original Tiagra on a bike some years ago and it was a bit agricultural but the latest iteration is pretty much as slick as 105.)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #19 on: 13 March, 2018, 12:15:53 pm »
I expect we'll end up at 105 or Ultegra level, which unfortunately means 11sp.

Don't rule out Tiagra - it's a perfectly good option if you'd rather stick with 10-speed.

(I had the original Tiagra on a bike some years ago and it was a bit agricultural but the latest iteration is pretty much as slick as 105.)

Isn't the latest Tiagra 10 speed on the same pull ratio's as 11 speed though meaning you're restricted to certain cassettes?

Edit: this might be codswallop but I do recall there's something odd about it.

Further edit: No, cassettes are compatible  it's the new Tiagra levers you can't match to the old 10 speed 105 etc mechs or vice versa. Ruddy shimano.

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #20 on: 13 March, 2018, 12:32:18 pm »
What about Planet X's London Road?
Very versatile.
I love mine.

« Reply #21 on: 13 March, 2018, 12:40:41 pm »
What about Planet X's London Road?
Very versatile.
I love mine.

I'd agree with all 3 lines of that, hard to beat for the frame and forks price.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #22 on: 13 March, 2018, 01:33:36 pm »
We're not interested in a QR-compatible fork when combined with disk brakes, which eliminates the London Road (and several previous suggestions).

Current Tiagra looks to be an orphan gear system.

HK is happy enough with a commuter bike weight under 11kg, so she isn't looking for a UCI weightweenie machine.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #23 on: 13 March, 2018, 01:48:32 pm »
How about the Tifosi Cavazzo? It comes in a variety of different builds for different uses - all with the same frame.

This is the commuter spec version:
http://www.chickencyclekit.co.uk/show_product.php?cat=1&p=10950

Point taken about Tiagra being an orphan groupset though, which would rule out this option - although you could buy the frameset and build it to your own spec.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #24 on: 13 March, 2018, 01:55:37 pm »
Interesting. We'll see whether HK is keen on a plastic frame for commuting.

Edit: It seems not. Metal only and she is still favouring the Kinesis.