Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 433095 times)

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #1875 on: 12 December, 2018, 11:31:36 am »
In the absence of getting out in a kayak, I'm trying to maintain fitness by jogging. I'm an indifferent runner, so 'jogging' is a good description (under 30min for 5km is reasonable for me). Only managing to get out once a week so far.

Last week jogged at 5:44 per km.

Last night decided I needed to be actually training if I had any expectation of being able to paddle at reasonable pace if I get back in a boat. Pushed pace and managed 5:08 per km

That's a good improvement in pace. What is a bit meh about it is that when paddling regularly (6 weeks ago), I was sustaining that speed in a kayak for 5km . . .
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1876 on: 07 January, 2019, 02:45:41 pm »
1st run of the year, indeed 1st proper run since December 5th (and that was only a gentle 4k outing with the Y5/Y6 children from my daughter's school) but a gentle 5k done.

16 weeks to go until London Marathon.
16kg heavier than I want to be when I run the marathon.

This is going to be a lot of (type 2) fun.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #1877 on: 11 January, 2019, 10:43:21 pm »
Did get out for a run today.  The left foot was still sore, so have booked a physio appointment.  Reminders to book coaches for the Race to the Stones were not helpful.  Will console myself with a good long cycle tomorrow.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1878 on: 12 January, 2019, 03:50:56 pm »
i've done a tribute run today (8.6km) at 3:56 pace, feel pretty chuffed to be in a decent* (for me) running form again.

*sub-20 5k is my running fitness indicator. apparently only one percent of population practice jogging/running and out of those seven percent can go below 20min 5k.

« Reply #1879 on: 13 January, 2019, 08:56:58 pm »
I got my running back over 5km today, for the first time in a while. At a rather more sedate smidge under 6min/km, which is my rough indicator of not taking it too easy but still allows for a photo at half way :)

« Reply #1880 on: 14 January, 2019, 04:08:11 pm »
Like many folk I ran at school then decided cycling was for me so didn't run again until my late thirties when I did some marathons etc. including 17 min 5ks. Another big gap until a year or so when I started Parkruns to accompany my partner and have now managed to run 28 mins for the 5k. Still a lot slower than my partner who is doing 25s but is 10 yrs. younger at 63. Hoping to reach 25 mins this year if my gout, Raynauds, bad feet and heart arrhythmia allow. A lot more pleasant than cleaning a filthy winter bike in the cold and dark after every outing.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1881 on: 14 January, 2019, 04:29:07 pm »
1.5 miles from his afternoon at 9.09 min/mile. Fourth day of exercise in a row so deliberately slower

« Reply #1882 on: 14 January, 2019, 04:40:47 pm »
i've done a tribute run today (8.6km) at 3:56 pace, feel pretty chuffed to be in a decent* (for me) running form again.

*sub-20 5k is my running fitness indicator. apparently only one percent of population practice jogging/running and out of those seven percent can go below 20min 5k.
One of my colleagues showed me her running stats.
18:54 5km
85min HM
3:03 M

Really quite fast.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1883 on: 14 January, 2019, 09:51:57 pm »

One of my colleagues showed me her running stats.
18:54 5km
85min HM
3:03 M

Really quite fast.

yes, one needs to be a dedicated, consistent runner to achieve those numbers!

« Reply #1884 on: 18 January, 2019, 11:40:14 am »
Longest run for quite a while (6 months at least). 7km partial run commute (with the remaining 4.5km done on a Boris bike).

Upping the distance slowly as part of the early stages of marathon training. Will do 9km on Sunday and then full run commute (11.5km) next week.

Hoping to see the weight start to fall off now, exercise up, drinking gone and keeping an eye on portion control and eliminating unnecessary snacking.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #1885 on: 20 January, 2019, 03:04:42 pm »
Physio suggests that problem with the foot may be Morton's Neuroma, which is a benign growth on the nerves between the second and third toes, but x-ray is required to rule out a stress fracture.  Initial treatment for both is rest - so no running.  Have deferred my Race to the Stones entry to 2020.  So won't be running for a while.

Consolation was the second 100-mile ride of the year, this time finding a route from Basingstoke round Portsmouth using the Gosport Ferry.  Was a really nice ride.

Good luck all with marathon and various other goals.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1886 on: 21 January, 2019, 06:03:39 am »
I have achieved a sub-20 5km in the past, but not for a while. In theory, my 10k and him should also be faster than they are.

For me, I'm still walking rather than running. Now able to walk for an hour at 9:00/km consistently, and managed 50km on the bike.

Target is hm in august, with plan to start running tentatively first week of Feb and see if there's any pain.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #1887 on: 21 January, 2019, 08:24:04 am »
28.1km running last week, ~40km scheduled for this week.

Hello perpetual tiredness my old friend...

« Reply #1888 on: 25 January, 2019, 12:51:30 pm »
First full run commute (11.8km) for almost exactly 2 years and longest run for at least 18 months.

Took it easy in order to keep the heart rate down (a relatively [for me] gentle 6:16/km pace) and didn't find it too horrid.

Plan has parkrun (or any other 5k run) tomorrow and then a 13km run on Sunday so I guess I'll be running along the Thames Path to Barnes and back.

One long term aim is to get the 11.8km run commute down to under an hour (5:05/km pace).

ElyDave

« Reply #1889 on: 25 January, 2019, 08:57:03 pm »
sub 9:00/km on the thames paths in London last week.  Only problem was it induced a massive hypo as I'd not reduced my insulin. Ho Hum.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1890 on: 25 January, 2019, 09:10:34 pm »
Ho Humm. I've got a vague idea of doing a Skyrace in September.
This is 30k with 2500m of climb.
http://www.skylinescotland.com/ring-of-steall-skyrace/

I started running again, back in December.
I've not run since BC ( Before Children ), over 20 years ago.
In that 20 years, I've been on my bike, and I'd not realised quite how adapted to that I've become.
I'm finding it *very* hard to get my running back to where I need to be, but I do have till September.
I started at a flat 5k, and it nearly killed me.

I'm now doing lunchtime runs with people rather better than me.
There's a hilly lunchtime route I'm favouring, with about 200m of climb...
https://www.strava.com/activities/2100141698

I've been pushing it up, and have done about 11k hilly now.
( 2 laps on Arthur's seat in Embra ):
https://www.strava.com/activities/2075399919

Did my first proper hilly run last weekend, on the local hill of Bennachie.
Just short of 10k, with almost 600m of climb.
https://www.strava.com/activities/2091263626

A modest restart of fell running, but I'm not actually ded yet, so that's good.

ElyDave

« Reply #1891 on: 26 January, 2019, 02:31:27 pm »
That first one looks like a good run, its surprisingly undulating through kingswells.  I'm up thee in a couple of weeks, staying at the Village, but not likely to be fit enough for that yet. 

Still sticking with the walking for now, planning a flat 5km ish in the coming week

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #1892 on: 27 January, 2019, 11:12:30 pm »
Training for London has started properly which means my legs are constantly feeling battered. But I was chuffed to run my second fastest 5km at Hackney Marshes parkrun yesterday, which came during my biggest ever milage week. Now if I can avoid getting ill this winter......
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #1893 on: 28 January, 2019, 08:26:22 am »
Resetting all of the records on my Garmin has helped with my motiviation. Now I usually get some kind of record each time I go for a run (new fastest 5k or 10k, new longest run, etc).

« Reply #1894 on: 29 January, 2019, 01:49:58 pm »
4 weeks in and had my first run I actually quite enjoyed (and was looking forward to). Just 5k but the fastest of the year (again, along with fastest 1k and mile).

More importantly "beats per mile" is down to a new low (still a long way to go).

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #1895 on: 29 January, 2019, 10:46:04 pm »
I keep meaning to look at my beats per mile to see at what pace I'm most efficient.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #1896 on: 30 January, 2019, 09:44:48 am »
I'm fat and unfit so mine is way up, I also have a fast beating heart (I regularly go over 200bpm playing 5-a-side) which skews things, we'll see just how low it goes when I get properly fit and lose the weight. Carrying ~20kg extra around generates a lot of extra work for the body.

A recent 5k was 1530bpm (at 93kg).

My lowest has been 1308bpm which was a few years ago on my Parkrun PB (24:24) but I was still heavy at 85kg then (~10kg over target weight).

This is all a long way off Steve Way's ~800bpm [1].

Anyway, it's another fun metric to watch. The main two metrics I look at are:
* Weight (aiming for 79, eventually 70-ish, currently 93)
* VDOT (aiming for 43, currently 31)

1. http://www.steveway.co.uk/?p=37

« Reply #1897 on: 03 February, 2019, 12:10:17 pm »
I've started doing parkrun this year.  I did my 5th run yesterday for a PB of 19.09*  ;D :thumbsup:  Given that this time last year 5km was a 30 min affair, and 6 months before that 5km was my limit, I'm really happy about that.

*It's an 'assisted' time though - I run with my dog

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1898 on: 06 February, 2019, 09:38:32 pm »
Started couch to 5k again, first time in well over a year.
Week 1 run 1, 7:35 min / km. Slow, but hopefully I'll gain benefit from cross training by running, rather than cycling.

Hopefully the knees will behave..

« Reply #1899 on: 07 February, 2019, 09:29:16 am »
Well done for getting started Brian! Don't worry about the speed now, just follow the plan you are on and it will come.  Take it steady and try to stay injury free  :thumbsup: