Author Topic: Portsmouth ferry security checks?  (Read 11288 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Portsmouth ferry security checks?
« on: 29 September, 2019, 08:09:34 pm »
Given that quite a few readers of this board used the Portsmouth -> Caen/Le Havre ferries in August, I thought I'd ask here first!

In the past (up to 2017) I don't recall ANY luggage checks for cyclists on ferries (nor car passengers for that matter). Is this still the case?

(Website says knives are out - I have a pen-knife in my tool kit ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Re: Portsmouth ferry security checks?
« Reply #1 on: 29 September, 2019, 08:17:35 pm »
Out from Portsmouth I was checked in 2016, 2017, 2018 and I saw other cyclists checked too.  They just ask the routine questions and they select one of your bags for scanning.  I had never been checked before those years.  I did not go this year, but I expect it is the same.  Return trip, no checks at all at Caen.

« Reply #2 on: 29 September, 2019, 08:24:38 pm »
I never had any security checks and I've used the Portsmouth > Caen ferry three times now.

But then didn't have any knives on me.

Rifles, explosives, nuclear materials on the other hand....

O:-)
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #3 on: 29 September, 2019, 08:26:49 pm »
I was one of three (I think) riders picked for a "random" security check, it seemed to be based on the answer to the question "You can't easily remove your bag can't you?"

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 29 September, 2019, 09:16:32 pm »
(Website says knives are out - I have a pen-knife in my tool kit ... )

That sounds suboptimal.  I mean, in touring mode, even without the Mora I'm likely to have a SAK and some mean-looking allen keys.

Do they deprive every caravan of a third of its cutlery?

Phil W

« Reply #5 on: 29 September, 2019, 09:22:26 pm »
In Newhaven she looked in my Stem Cell. I doubt they'll go digging around for knives. You have proper cutlery on a ferry anyway.

« Reply #6 on: 29 September, 2019, 09:31:38 pm »
Security checks at ferry ports seem to be inversely proportional to difficulty in checking. So cars are barely checked at all, cyclists might get a half-hearted look in your pannier bag, but checking in as a foot passenger at Hook of Holland they went through every nook and cranny of my bag. They didn’t even look at my bagged up Brompton.

« Reply #7 on: 29 September, 2019, 09:33:54 pm »
I had a bag x-rayed at Portsmouth. I got to choose which one, so chose handlebar as it was easier.

Thinking about it I might have had a Leatherman in there.... had no issues though.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #8 on: 29 September, 2019, 09:37:51 pm »
I've had a pannier given a cursory glance the last time I went over to Caen. That's the only time at that port though…

« Reply #9 on: 29 September, 2019, 11:18:27 pm »
I’ve done Portsmouth to St Malo twice this year and have been checked each time. I’ve done this route most years for the past 10 years or so and have never been checked before. The second time, this year, they checked all cyclists - there were about 6 or 7 of us. They asked us to just take one bag each off the bikes for passing through the scanner, but I don’t think my Swiss Army knife was in the bag that I chose. I just assumed that they were ramping up the checks on cyclists.

Davef

« Reply #10 on: 30 September, 2019, 09:08:00 am »
It does seem to be a bit of a box ticking exercise. I had a small backpack of stuff I wanted during the trip which they scanned on both my trips from Portsmouth. The bags on the bike were ignored. When the metal detector beeped they just asked if I had metal bits on my shoes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11 on: 30 September, 2019, 03:40:17 pm »
If they don't confiscate knives, they can't have the impressive doing our job, keeping you safe show-box.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #12 on: 30 September, 2019, 03:49:06 pm »

Remember in the UK you can legally carry a non locking folding knife as long as the blade is no longer than 75mm. This is why you can take a knife on the eurostar.

I would guess the same is true on the ferries.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Davef

« Reply #13 on: 30 September, 2019, 03:56:59 pm »

Remember in the UK you can legally carry a non locking folding knife as long as the blade is no longer than 75mm. This is why you can take a knife on the eurostar.

J
Damn, I will have to fit a hinge to my cheese knife.

« Reply #14 on: 30 September, 2019, 04:25:51 pm »
As a regular traveler on portsmouth ferries with groups of cyclists , one or two of the group all ways get a pull.
Quick look in the top of the saddle bag and if your lucky your shoes get a trip through the machine.
Normally ask a few questions.

« Reply #15 on: 30 September, 2019, 04:31:18 pm »

They could make it a condition of carriage thobut....

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #16 on: 30 September, 2019, 04:50:01 pm »
And only half the journey (or less on the longer routes) is in the UK.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #17 on: 30 September, 2019, 04:50:23 pm »
I always allow plenty of time when travelling somewhere. Therefore usually when I catch a ferry I've been whiling away the spare hours in a bar somewhere.

After a few pints, on finally boarding the ferry, the "security check" might not go so well...

(click to show/hide)

;D
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Phil W

« Reply #18 on: 30 September, 2019, 05:04:09 pm »
I always allow plenty of time when travelling somewhere. Therefore usually when I catch a ferry I've been whiling away the spare hours in a bar somewhere.

After a few pints, on finally boarding the ferry, the "security check" might not go so well...

(click to show/hide)

;D

You do that with your Pashley, you beast!

« Reply #19 on: 30 September, 2019, 05:10:46 pm »
Do most people lightweight camping not carry a knife of some sort? We didn't get checked going to Hoek the other year but in my Panniers were three Primus gas canisters, a Leatehrman and a small serrated paring knife (non folding) for vegatabling and bread butchering at the camping table. I'm going hungry without those and the paring knife is likely to be swapped for a quality folding camping knife to avoid having to wrap it in a tea towel to avoid the pointy end slicing something (it's old and not very sharp though)

As Kim says do the caravans not all have their knives removed?
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #20 on: 30 September, 2019, 07:59:39 pm »
The rulz aren't quite "nae knifes"
https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

« Reply #21 on: 30 September, 2019, 08:25:09 pm »
The rulz aren't quite "nae knifes"
https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives
But the ferry company can make their own rulz as a condition of carriage (not that I think they have).

Edited: they have.... see next post

« Reply #22 on: 30 September, 2019, 08:29:39 pm »
Brittany Ferries rule:
“.... knives (including chef's knives, multi-tools), swords etc. must also be declared prior to departure...”

From: https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/faqs/travel-information/transporting-dangerous-goods-and-flammable-liquids

Yeah, that link actually says no knives of any kind on bikes... I deffo had a leatherman on mine. Hmmm.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23 on: 30 September, 2019, 08:51:41 pm »
That would appear to ban meths, too.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #24 on: 30 September, 2019, 10:07:00 pm »
I cunningly avoided the security bods at Brussels Eurostar nicking my Opinel No. 7 by distracting them with some CO2 cartridges, which they pounced upon with glee.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)