Author Topic: Anyone going to the time trials?  (Read 6850 times)

Anyone going to the time trials?
« on: 30 July, 2012, 08:48:20 pm »
Enjoyed the road races, so I've suddenly booked the day off to go to the time trials. Anyone else?

I have mad ideas of riding there, but it's a bit far really...

Anyone know about cycle parking? I've found the offer at Sigma Sport in Hampton Wick.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Anyone going to the time trials?
« Reply #1 on: 30 July, 2012, 08:52:01 pm »
It goes past the office's front door, I'll be at work, I guess I'll be going to the TTs.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 30 July, 2012, 09:11:33 pm »
Yes! Somewhere down the Portsmouth road nr Surbiton methinks, hopefully near a bend. Might cycle there, but legs a bit knackered as I gave it some this afternoon on my SE London / North Downs Loop, thinking I was Emma Pooley. (I look more like her than Liz Armitstead - except I'm a bloke and a bit bigger - but not by much.)
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim KrabbĂ©. Possibly

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 30 July, 2012, 09:14:20 pm »
If I can identify a spot for a cripple-boy to sit without being jostled too much, I might go...
Getting there...

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #4 on: 30 July, 2012, 10:13:56 pm »
Enjoyed the road races, so I've suddenly booked the day off to go to the time trials. Anyone else?

I have mad ideas of riding there, but it's a bit far really...

Anyone know about cycle parking? I've found the offer at Sigma Sport in Hampton Wick.

I'll be there. Not sure where exactly, but I'll be there.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #5 on: 30 July, 2012, 10:32:54 pm »
I'll be there all day - I'm volunteering and am posted in the final sector.
Clarion - try the train to Hinchley wood. It is then a 400m walk to the course. Other stations may be closer but will be more crowded.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #6 on: 30 July, 2012, 10:37:46 pm »
If I can identify a spot for a cripple-boy to sit without being jostled too much, I might go...

Don't know what you mean by "cripple-boy", but if it's any help at Richmond Park on Saturday we were pitched next to a lady in a wheelchair and she wasn't jostled or hassled in any way at all as far as we could tell.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 30 July, 2012, 10:50:09 pm »
Ok, a bit of context: I'm recovering from recent shoulder surgery, so being in a big crowd, or having to stand for ages would be a no-no.
Getting there...

David Martin

« Reply #8 on: 31 July, 2012, 09:07:12 am »
I would suggest you put your arm in a sling, even if you don't need to. You will then get a bit more space and are less likely to be jostled.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #9 on: 31 July, 2012, 09:36:46 am »
I am planning to visit the start/finish area at about 12 o'clock , then check out the set up at Sigma , and either watch the men's there or in Kingston where they turn left before crossing the bridge.
Does anybody know how long the circuits are expected to take ?
Hampton Court and Hampton Wick stations would of course be very handy for anybody going by train.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 31 July, 2012, 11:08:02 am »
I would suggest you put your arm in a sling, even if you don't need to. You will then get a bit more space and are less likely to be jostled.

My arm is in a sling 24hrs/day for the next week, and extensively following that, but I already know how much regard London crowds have for that.
Getting there...

« Reply #11 on: 31 July, 2012, 11:49:49 am »
I am planning to visit the start/finish area at about 12 o'clock , then check out the set up at Sigma , and either watch the men's there or in Kingston where they turn left before crossing the bridge.

Would these be choice spots where to watch (avec velo), or are they likely to be rammed with limited capacity? (Unlike Richmond Park was for the Women's RR on Sunday)

Any advice from those with local knowledge where to watch (I like parks, in preference to being 10 deep against barriers) would be appreciated.

David Martin

« Reply #12 on: 31 July, 2012, 12:00:41 pm »
Bushy Park for the mens, Hampton Court Way for the ladies will give you the greenest background.
Kingston will be crowded (even my mum is going).

Clarion: better even a smidgin of regard than none at all. Find a marshal (plum and crimson uniform) and see if they can help give you a bit of space..

« Reply #13 on: 31 July, 2012, 12:27:52 pm »
Thanks, David.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #14 on: 31 July, 2012, 12:33:04 pm »
And thanks, David.
Getting there...

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #15 on: 31 July, 2012, 12:40:28 pm »
Bushy Park for the mens, Hampton Court Way for the ladies will give you the greenest background.
Agreed.
Just before the men leave Bushy Park for the finish line they have to negotiate a large roundabout round the lake with the gilded statue of Diana ( the Huntress , not the Princess). I was there on Saturday for the men's RR and it was not too busy.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

« Reply #16 on: 31 July, 2012, 04:03:45 pm »
Won't Bushy Park be rammed, it being near the finish? I suppose much depends on how many people will be bunking off on a schoolday.
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim KrabbĂ©. Possibly

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #17 on: 31 July, 2012, 06:02:29 pm »

My arm is in a sling 24hrs/day for the next week, and extensively following that, but I already know how much regard London crowds have for that.
You need to bodge up something more visible. A crutch would help, and maybe some temporary Plaster-of-Paris round your neck.

(You can always belt people with the crutch as a last resort.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #18 on: 31 July, 2012, 09:38:49 pm »

You need to bodge up something more visible. A crutch would help, and maybe some temporary Plaster-of-Paris round your neck.

(You can always belt people with the crutch as a last resort.)

I was going to suggest that!

Although, on MFWHTBAB's experience, expect then that old ladies will talk to you like you're a three year old.

My bro-in-law will be in the Hampton Court area, with my older nephew.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

welshwheels

• stop eating cheeseburgers big boy!!!!
« Reply #19 on: 31 July, 2012, 09:43:10 pm »
Dont know if anybody knows the start times but these are off team sky's facebook   

Start times for the Olympic time trial tomorrow: 14:46.30 Edvald Boasson Hagen, 14:55.30 Michael Rogers, 15:00.00 Chris Froome and 15:07.30 Bradley Wiggins

struggling up hills since 1981 !!!

« Reply #20 on: 31 July, 2012, 09:52:09 pm »
Thanks for those. I will be there, just not sure exactly where 'there' is as yet.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #22 on: 01 August, 2012, 06:58:08 am »
Thanks for those. I will be there, just not sure exactly where 'there' is as yet.

I've an idea of where I'd like to be, but looking at a map of both the courses I think it's going to be a question of turn up and suck it and see - depending on where the road crossing points are (if any).
With riders at 90 second intervals, I can't see the officials sanctioning too much milling around in the road.

« Reply #23 on: 01 August, 2012, 07:54:05 am »
I'm wondering about going to one of the big screens described by Surrey Council.

« Reply #24 on: 01 August, 2012, 08:23:20 am »
Does anyone know where we can get a results feed (RSS or whatever)? Wandering around the course, it may not be easy to know what the standings are.

Edit: found an RSS here, below the live coverage window.