Author Topic: "Team GB"  (Read 4518 times)

"Team GB"
« on: 04 August, 2012, 12:01:08 am »
Shouldn't it be "Team UK"?

From the name, I thought Team GB would not include Northern Ireland, but I found out actually it is the Great Britain and Northern Ireland Olympic Team.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: "Team GB"
« Reply #1 on: 04 August, 2012, 06:30:17 am »
French Connection put paid to that.  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2 on: 04 August, 2012, 09:04:16 am »
You're absolutely right, but given all the little democratic deficits that NI suffers under this one isn't that big a thing.

And Team GB rolls off the tongue much better than Team GB&NI or Team UK.
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

« Reply #3 on: 04 August, 2012, 09:24:44 am »
I believe if you are from NI you can choose whether you represent GB or Ireland.

Edit: I remember watching the boxing last time around and the commentator kept referring to a boxer representing Ireland as "The boy from Belfast"....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #4 on: 04 August, 2012, 11:54:48 am »
Because the Irish IOC accepts athletes from NI.

I think there may be a few similar cases around the world.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #5 on: 04 August, 2012, 02:11:04 pm »
Sent: 04 August 2012 09:13
To: BOA
Subject: Team GB term

Hi,

I understand you're all a bit busy right now, but there's a topic that has been raised a couple of times and none of us can come up with a satisfactory answer.

Why are the BOA athletes entered in the Olympics called Team GB?

Great Britain is the island which is home to England, Scotland and Wales, but you, quite rightly, have competitors from Northern Ireland.

GB & NI, or UK would seem a better name, but even then, you're open to competitors from the Channel Islands, so I'm still a bit confused!

Many thanks,

Padbeat

Dear Padbeat

Thank you for your email to the British Olympic Association in connection with the Team GB name.  I hope I will be able to clarify our position and answer your queries as to why our Olympic Team is referred to as 'Team GB'.

As I am sure you are aware the British Olympic Association (BOA) is the National Olympic Committee (NOC) for Great Britain and Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man, the Channel Islands and the UK Overseas Territories (including the Falkland Islands and Gibraltar) which do not have their own National Olympic Committees.  As such, the BOA covers territories which are not constitutionally part of the United Kingdom (such as the Crown Dependencies and some UK Overseas Territories).

Whilst the BOA has always sought to give recognition to the valuable contribution made by all the countries under our Olympic jurisdiction, many of whom have contributed to the success of our Olympic performances, it is the International Olympic Committee which has recognised the British team as "GBR" (in its widest sense) since its inception in 1896 and it is the International Olympic Committee which is solely responsible for determining representation at the Olympic Games.

Regarding the use of the mark "Team GB", the BOA has created a concise, functional marketing property around the Team and athletes themselves.  Sponsors understandably feel there is more intrinsic value in sponsoring the Team and not the BOA and the "Team GB" mark is now a widely respected and successful item of intellectual property which has developed over three Olympic cycles.  It is the symbol of success for all our athletes at the Olympic Games.  The value of the brand is such that it enables the BOA to generate funds to support all our athletes at the Olympic Games; from the shores of Northern Ireland and beyond.

For all of the above reasons and following consultation with the National Governing Bodies of Olympic sports (including athlete representatives), it was decided that the creation of Team GB as a "trading name" was most appropriate for the Olympic identification of GBR.

I hope this explanation of the development of the 'Team GB' concept has been helpful to you.  We are very conscious that the brand is not representative of all the territories in the BOA's jurisdiction; indeed, neither "UK" nor "GB" is an accurate description of the BOA's remit.

Yours sincerely,
BOA

I hpoe that clarifies things!
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

« Reply #6 on: 04 August, 2012, 02:33:04 pm »
10/10 padbeat.

End of debate me thinks!